News:

• May 02, 2024, 09:14:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Power System Setup  (Read 1096 times)

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Power System Setup
« on: June 29, 2008, 06:33:25 PM »
I'm putting together an electric adaption of the Flite Streak (my own structural design) and just want to make sure I have the power system spec'd out correctly.  The plane has a full fuse similar to the combat Streak.  I'm estimating the total weight in the high 20 oz range depending on the battery selection.  I have a Scorpion 3014-16, a CC Phoenix 35 ESC, and a Ztron timer.  I'll be running in governor mode.  Based on what I read here, using a 10x7 APC E prop set about 8500 rpm should be a good starting point.  I've also read that a 2100, 3 cell pack would work, but based on my electric RC experience, that seems a little light on capacity.  Comments and recommendations would be appreciated.
Jim Vigani

Alan Hahn

Re: Power System Setup
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 07:41:47 PM »
What you have is exactly what I am now running in my Super Clown (I just swapped the Brodak Motor for a Scorpion 3014).
I do use the 3s2100mAHr setup and was using about 1700 mAHr last time I looked. Yes it is a little edgy, but since the battery "only" costs ~$47, I'm willing to take some chances! Besides, that was with the Brodak motor--hope I do a little bit better with the Scorpion--but will see!

I am running on 0.012 58 foot lines---AMA "legal". My all up weight is ~28oz (using the 3s2100). My notes say I was flying 4.8s laps at 8400 rpm, with level flying power at ~200watts, peaking to 290 in the verticals. I wanted to increase the lap time by 0.1 sec--it would be a bit more comfortable.

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 09:54:41 AM »
Thanks Alan.  I'll go with the 2100 pack since I have a stock of those.  One more question.  What are your flight time settings on your timer?
Jim Vigani

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 10:41:37 AM »
On my JMP-2 (which is similar to the Ztron 2) I start with a 20 second delay, plenty of time to walkout to the handle. The total flying time is setup to fly 310s. I start a 6 min countdown timer just as I initiate the timing sequence (when the 20 s delay starts). I am coming out of the 4-leaf clover when the timer hits 5 minutes. I get the 2 blip warning about 20s later. I am walking to pickup the plane at 5m50s on the timer. Now this is with the Nobler, but the SuperClown is similar (a little faster actually since the Nobler is flying 5s laps.

One thing I like about the Ztron is that you can disable the 2 blip warning.

Another detail is the slow ramp-up and down of the CC ESC on governor mode takes about ~10s to go from off to on andvice versa.

Throttle wise, I think the timer/throttle is set at about 30% (maybe lower) to get an rpm of 8100. On the Ztron that would be a "15" if my memory is correct. (I'll check that out).[added--my notes tell me a Ztron setting of "16" on the dip switches corresponds to a rpm of 9100rpm, so I'm now guessing a 14 or so will get in the ballpark of 8500 rpm.]

Here is a rundown of the current settings in the CC Phoenix 35.

AutoLipo Detect
Soft Cutoff (Heli gov mode always forces this)          50% Brake [off in Heli Gov mode]
Heli Gov HIGH                                                                 0.6s Brake delayed   [off in Heli Gov mode]
Forward Direction                                                           Brake Immediate  [off in Heli Gov mode]
 Motor Start   Medium                                                     PWM rate 13kHz
Throttle Response   Medium                                         Current Limiting--Insensitive
Motor Timing  Low Advance (to see if it is a bit more efficient)
Governor gain   Custom--71                                         Spool-up speed   Custom  10 [as fast as I can get it]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 02:47:35 PM by Alan Hahn »

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 03:56:57 PM »
Thanks again for the info.  I'll copy your setup to start with and work from there.  Got back into flying pretty heavy several years ago after a long layoff.  Still scratch build most of my stuff.  All my RC planes are electric.  Really looking forward to getting back on the "lines" as that's where my roots are.  My flying friends always bust my chops because they say all my RC designs look a lot like control line planes.  I'll let you know how things worked out.
Jim Vigani

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 08:07:57 AM »
HI JFV!

You say that your RC flying buddies say that: "all my RC designs look a lot like control line planes" .
   Gee, I hear that a lot too!

Regards,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 11:28:56 AM »
Getting ready to fly this thing this weekend.  I downloaded the new CC firmware and have programmed the attached setup.  I'm going with the fixed governor mode.  I assume I should set the throttle on the timer at 100%.  Is that right?
Jim Vigani

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 12:58:06 PM »
A couple of things,
1) I'd set my Brake ramp to be medium if you have a hard brake---otherwise it will try to stop the rotation fast--which may not be good for the nose of your plane--but I am not sure.
2) For things like the auto-cutoff, and overcurrent, again I would back off on these a bit---you don't want the ESC to cut off in a vertical climb if it detects the battery sagging below the cutoff voltage. A soft cutoff might save your plane!
3) Not sure about the rpm mode ---because you can play with some things, maybe someone else who has tried it will have some suggestions.

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 02:54:56 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  You are right about the soft cutoff.  I actually use that on all my RC planes.  Wasn't thinking.
Jim Vigani

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 05:52:14 PM »
Well, I maidened my new electric today at the District II fun fly.  My first control line flights in 40 years.  Flew pretty well.  A bit of trimming to do but all in all, very pleased.  Playing with the tip weight and the engine off set.  The electric power system worked great.  8600 rpm on the Scorpion motor with a 10 x 7 prop gave a 5.1 sec lap time on 60 foot lines.  I really like the new CC firmware.  Here's a few pictures of the plane and pilot.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:28:56 PM by jfv »
Jim Vigani

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 05:56:56 PM »
Other Picture
Jim Vigani

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 05:58:58 AM »
I tried to program my timer to give the warning blips at the end of the flight but couldn't get it to work.  Does the fixed RPM mode on the CC firmware disable that feature?
Jim Vigani

Alan Hahn

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 07:59:58 AM »
What might be happening is that the ESC setting for how fast the throttle is allowed to change might be "smoothing away" the blips.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 03:07:44 AM »
JfV, Very nice lookin plane. y1 y1 What did you use for the finish  ??? ???
Leester
ama 830538

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 06:54:17 AM »
Thanks.  It sure has been fun flying control line again.  The finish is basically water based polyurethane and silkspan with acrylic color (Createx).  I covered the open bays first with SLC film then covered with silkspan and the poly.  Clear coat is poly.  First time I tried it.  Came out OK but I think I still like polyspan and nitrate better over the open bays.  I'm building another one so we'll see how that works out.
Jim Vigani

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here