News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:23:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: possible 1/2a arming switch  (Read 602 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
possible 1/2a arming switch
« on: June 12, 2008, 06:35:11 AM »
Ok, I have a new question. i 'm wondering if there is a way I could use jumper terminals like in my computer as an inconspicuious and light arming switch. Will's unit has a little push button for start but whe I put the charged battery in and connect it I donot want some one whom might accidently hit the button to arm it. i'm thinking if I had to physcially put the jumper on..one of them little black kind you have in your computer it would be very small and prevent error. If it would hold enough current? 7-10 amps.
I'm curious why I do not see fuses in use at all ?

william

Re: possible 1/2a arming switch
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 07:18:15 AM »
I dont connect my battery till I am absolutly ready to fly, thats the safest thing. I do this with both my parkflyers and my CL electric. I have a helper press the button when I am ready at the handle.No accidents this way!!! Most better controlers are thermal protected and will shutdown if over amped so no need for a fuse. I am sure you could incorperate one into the battery line but thats also aditional weight. Most ECL and parkflyers dont want that!!

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 08:20:55 AM »
Hi Jimm,
Yes, for most Stunt ships, putting the battery inside takes a moment, and it's not something you want to do after walking to the circle.
For profiles and the like, it's easy, the battery connector ius accessible.
For a full-bodied ship try putting a break in the positive wire between the battery connector and ESC/BEC.
I used a pair of 3-1/2 mm female bullet connectors soldered onto both the red wire from the battery connector and onto the red input lead of the ESC. These were both glued into a block of hard wood that screws or glues into the side of the fuse, with the ends of the female connectors protruding through holes in the fuse side maybe 3/4' apart. Just before flight, they are joined with a 1-1/2" ~ 2" long piece of heavy wire with male connectors on it, that looks like a loop of fuel tubing! When removed, it leaves a pair of gold ring-like fittings that will sit flush with the fuse side, all ready for appearance judging.

I'll see if I can get Hunt to take a picture of it.

Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 12:56:04 PM »
Jim,

I have used a simple toggle switch from Home Depot for the larger 40Amp service, I think there is a small toggle switch for lower amps. I locate it in the hot (red) lead between the battery and the ESC. Since I am using a ZTRON timer once you plug in the battery the switch is the start switch. Being a toggle type switch it takes a deliberate force to turn ON so it is a good safety. Mounts through the side of the fuse and I have the launcher flip it on once I get to the handle.

Best,     Dennis

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 07:07:58 PM »
I fly a lot of electric RC.  I don't like switches as they can fail, and will fail at the worst possible time.

Best setup I have seen uses two Deans plugs, one each female and male.

The female is inserted in line betweent he battery connector and the ESC.  The male is jumped with a piece of wire at least the same gauge as the battery and ESC wire.  You hook up the battery, but with teh male jumper plug out, nothing happens.  Insert the male jumper and you are hot.

Quick, easy, and less failure prone than a switch.
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 10:26:45 PM »
I don't think you mentioned if you have a profile 1/2 A or a full fuse. If a profile, there really is no reason to have an arming system. You simply plug the battery into the ESC when you signal the judge. I then push the button on my JMP-2 timer, and casually saunter out to the handle. 20 seconds later the power comes up and I take off. No fuss, no muss.

On my larger Nobler, I use to have the Dean's connector setup the Pinecone mentions. However lately it tends to get in my way. So at contests, I (usually!) monitor where I am in the order. I install the battery but don't plug it in. Just as the prior flight finishes, I plug in the battery, and close up the compartment. I carry the plane to the circle, and my helper carries the handle. Once I am ready, I signal the judges, push the button (JMP-2   --- why I like this timer/ thottle), and again saunter out to my handle. I set the timer to give me 20 seconds to get there. Counting that 20 seconds, I am back on the ground 350 seconds later! No fuss, no muss.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 08:48:42 AM »
Hi Guys, This is just a little prettier than the Deans Ultra connector. The ends of the gold female connectors end up nearly flush with the fuse side, and a few ink-line circles with rivets will make them look purposeful and front row worthy. In this case, the bullets were soldereed to "washers" made of single side PCB material and then sandwiched to the fuse side with the small plywood plate. The plate has a 4-40 blind nut in the middle and is removable.
later,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 12:04:34 PM »
Dean,
That does look like it would lend itself to an easier installation than the Dean's method (which I have used) or the Sermos commercial version which is nice on the outside, but needs a lot of space on the inside (where I need to get access to to put my battery.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here