News:

• May 01, 2024, 02:00:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Polyampa2 twin first flights  (Read 1239 times)

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Polyampa2 twin first flights
« on: April 26, 2008, 10:38:54 AM »
Thanks Dean,

Your formula worked out great. I determined that my desired RPm was approx 9000.
I bench tested at 8970 RPM with my Zigras 2 timer.I got steady bench runs with my set up,as follows:

2 Motors-E-flite 480 -910kv
   2 CC-35 ESC
   1 Zigras 2 timer with new pot.
   1 14.8v, 4270 mah evo-lite battery
   2  APCe 9x6 props( repitched to 6.2-6.3") inbd one is pusher.
   Static bench runs: 34.1amps 505watts at start RPM 8970-9000 steady

I flew 3 flights with this set -up. Power was good lap speed was 5.03 --5.04
   on 64'- 6'' lines .018" dia. Wind was 6-10 mph ,Temp 65 F.
  After getting wings level aqnd handle adjusted to even out inside&Outside loops,
  I flew the full pattern on the third flight. All flights had same lap speed even though
  their voltage was not the same. I was really surprised since I had never flown with
  Heli-high gov. mode before.When I recharged my batteries They only required 2.17AH
  to 2.19AH for full charge. This tells me (I think) that I can use less MAH in the
    Battery. I had planned on using my TP4000 4s2p 14.8v batteries that I had used
  in my GEMINI twin last year,but when I bench tested them with my set up they
  did not have enough power to hold a steady 8970rpm. The evo lite battery added
  2 ounces to my planned weight. I would like to try a 12oz battery . Evo 30 14.8v
  3200mah but I am not shure if it has enough mah to hold constant RPM for a full
  6 minutes.
    Has anybody tried this battery with 2.2AH usage? That is using only 69% of
  advertised capacity,BUT I don't trust all ADVERTISED numbers.

Looking for some advice!

Walt Brownell

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
Re: Polyampa2 twin first flights
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 11:49:47 AM »
Hi Walt,
   Congrats! H^^ I would get a few flights in before going to different batteries. You never know what changes you will make as you trim. When you reach the point of being comfortable using 2.2AH then decide if the change is necessary.

By the way, do you mean Evo 25 4S 3300mah? It weighs 12.3oz while the EVO 30 4S 3200mah weighs 13.4oz. If you do make a change, why not go with the Thunder Power 4S2P 4000mah? They weigh 11.25oz.

Mike

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 09:38:18 AM »
   Mike
Thanks for the input. I just weighed my Evo30 premium battery that I bought last summer from Tower. It weighs 12.25 OZ. with Deans connector. I saw that new ones
are listed as weighing more. I am puzzled by the TP battery weight. I have been
flying with 5- TP 4000mah14.8v 4S2P batteries since May 2005. They all weigh
12.5 OZ with Deans connector.The reason I am not using one is that on my bench
tests they did not have enough "headroom" for the twin set-up, in static runs.
Maybe they will work in actual flight conditions. They also don't fit my battery envelop without structural mods. Evo battery does. I will hold off as you suggested
and fly in warmer conditions before making any battery changes. 
   If there are lighter (11.25oz)TP batteries please let me know how to get these.

Walt

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 11:36:30 AM »
Hi Walt,
   Apparently TP changed their cell chemistry without updating the web site. In early 2007 Jack Weston bought TP 4S2P 4000mah brick packs and they each weighed ~11.25oz with a Deans connector. I bought TP 5S2P 4000mah packs and they each weigh ~14.25oz with  APP connectors. (TP's site quotes 12oz for the 4S and 14.75oz for the 5S). 

I have a feeling your batteries from 2005 are starting to give up the ghost. There is no reason a TP 4000mah pack should not be able to handle the small load you are putting on them. I have been flying packs from 2004 in my Silencer and they have done much better than expected, but I am starting to notice even when using governor mode the package is getting soft during the clover.

The care you give your lipo's REALLY effects their life span.

Mike 

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 12:39:58 PM »
Hi Walt,
That's great. Like Mike says, hold off on any dramatic nattery changes. To begin with, the EVO battery has much lower cell resistance than the 4000 mAH battery you are comparing it to. You will actually get more voltage and more watt-hours out of the same mAH draw. This is not because of different chemistry but because thinner insulator materials and better electrode plate manufacturing methods allow them to pack mnore surface area in for a given weight of the all important electrolyte. This is the direction the market is going in. The TP 4200 Pro-Lites may represent a better compromise of cell resistance and weight for Stunt. A few of us in Pattern are working on the folks at TP to create a new series of batteries with the same Pro-Lite-like tradeoff, rather than the EVO characteristic which is aimed at greater than 15C discharge. We average 7C (or less!) in Stunt, with peaks at 10C.

Most 3300 batteries aren't much lighter, so you might make your choice based on $$$.

Since you are only using ~50% of your battery capacity, you might try adding a little more prop diameter, if you have the room. That will add maneuver power and only slightly add consumption. You could up your consumption by 10% and still safely use 3300s.

Mike,
You are dropping off the governor? Are the batteries at end of life or are you just using too little pitch and a few too many RPM?

later Friends,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 01:14:07 PM »
Walt,
If I understand your setup, you pulled 2200mAHr out in 6 minutes, which calculates out to something on the order of a 5-6 C like draw while flying (average current of ~22A or so). 22A on a 3200mAHr battery is still only a 7C like draw, so I really can't see you have an issue at all with using a 3200 battery (which I think is rated as a 25C battery).

On the other hand, it doesn't look like you save a whole lot of weight (less than 2oz if I looked at the correct batteries), and the cost saving is ~$25 ($144 vs $169). Nothing to sneeze at, but I am not sure it is going to make a quantum jump difference. How much is the all-up weight of the plane (you may have listed it, but I didn't notice it)? I am sure 2oz is going to be less than a 5% weight reduction, so......

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 01:44:53 PM »
Hi Dean,
   The batteries are tired. This will be their 5th season if I continue to fly them.

Mike

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 03:30:19 PM »
  Dean

I thought about larger dia props,but the E-flite motors are rated at 250 watts each
and with my static bench runs I am pulling 505 Watts with the 9x6.2 props and
amps of 17 for each motor. This gives me more than 125 watts per pound. How much more do you think I can push these little motors? I think these are the same motors
Bob Hunt started with on his twin. I know that the amps go down slightly in flight,but since the RPM stays the same I don't want to damage these motors.
   Is there any way to determine how much the watts to each motor changes in
flight on a twin with heli Gov high mode?

Thanks to all for your help.

Walt 

Alan Hahn

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 06:00:31 PM »
Walt,
As I pointed out, you are drawing about 22 A on the average if you pull out 2.2AHr in 6 minutes (0.1hour--so 22A*0.1hr=2.2AHr). You said that on the bench you are pulling 34A. So when you fly, at a fixed rpm, you are using about 2/3 the power (watts) that you are seeing on the bench. The reason for the "about" is that the voltage in flight is a little higher since the current is less, so wattage is probably a little more than 2/3, but that is the ballpark. So 2/3 of 500 watts is ~330Watts.
My E-nobler flies at ~270Watts, so things sound about right.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 08:38:49 AM »
  Dean

I thought about larger dia props,but the E-flite motors are rated at 250 watts each
and with my static bench runs I am pulling 505 Watts with the 9x6.2 props and
amps of 17 for each motor. This gives me more than 125 watts per pound. How much more do you think I can push these little motors? I think these are the same motors
Bob Hunt started with on his twin. I know that the amps go down slightly in flight,but since the RPM stays the same I don't want to damage these motors.
   Is there any way to determine how much the watts to each motor changes in
flight on a twin with heli Gov high mode?

Thanks to all for your help.

Walt 

Hi Walt,
The typical drop in current and wattage between static and in-flight conditions is maybe 25%. Your drop is even higher.
Look at your figures: you consume 2.2 A-H in 1/10 of an hour, so your inflight average is about 22A, or 11 A per motor, yet your ground current is 17A per motor. You've got tons of headroom before you thermally overstress the motors, as long as you don't run static for very long. So how much do the motrors warm up, compared to the air temperature, now?

thrilled it's going well,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 09:09:10 AM »
Hi Dean,
   The batteries are tired. This will be their 5th season if I continue to fly them.

Mike
Wow, Mike!
 4 whole seasons!
How many flights per pack do you figure? This is a payoff number for so many would-be E flyers.

Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 03:58:57 PM »
Wow, Mike!
 4 whole seasons!
How many flights per pack do you figure? This is a payoff number for so many would-be E flyers.

Dean

I wish I kept count back then! These packs were also pre-balancer taps. I am amazed at how much I got away with before I really knew what I was doing with lipo's. The four year shelf life is impressive alone.

Mike

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 02:05:54 PM »
Mike,
Give us a guess fer cryin' out loud! <=
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 03:44:58 PM »
Mike,
Give us a guess fer cryin' out loud! <=
Dean

A Conservative estimate would be 125 flights per pack.

Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here