News:

• May 10, 2024, 10:47:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Li po fire prevention ?  (Read 967 times)

Offline Vincent Corwell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Li po fire prevention ?
« on: November 16, 2010, 01:30:51 AM »
My good friend Ivan had a li po fire which devastated his workshop
huge loss of engines , batteries , turbines,airframes RC & CL
even 3 expensive transmitters
Fire dept put out the fire and now the mess is like a bomb site

warning to us all, dont leave a li po on charge un attended.

Question :  Will one of the li po bags on sale now protect from
fire, for example would it be safe on a timber self with the lipo
inside on fire ?

Vincent

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Li po fire prevention ?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 01:09:54 PM »
Hi Vincent,

I'm very sorry to hear of Ivan's loss. It is a very rare occurrence, but as you pointed out it can be terrible when it does happen.

The short answer to your question: YES, the bags do work. I have seen them demonstrated.

You do HAVE to use the LARGE ones. Pay the extra bucks to buy the ones from Tower:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXCH7&P=ML

The smaller $20 version will help, but it was made for the smaller 3S 2,500 mAh packs. The large version will contain any battery we use in ECL.

The best thing you can do for safety is buy a 14" x 14" square of tile from Lowe's for around (<$4) and ALWAYS charge your battery on it.

Remember, they do NOT explode, they go off like a flare. The flame shoots up a few feet and is over 1,000 degrees f. Wood/paper burns at around 415 f. The object of the pouch is to contain the flame from the flare and contain any burning debris from being spread throughout your shop. There will still be a LOT of smoke but the danger is contained. I always use the above pouch (I have 4), or one of my ceramic containers when charging.

These batteries are very safe, but like in many things we humans do, it does not hurt to use a few simple inexpensive safety precautions in our activities.

Again, I am sorry for Igor's loss. I'm glad that no one was injured.
Rudy
AMA 1667

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 02:13:39 PM »
Vincent,
How about some details on what he was charging, what charger, what mode they were charging in, etc?  Knowing what went wrong would be a big help to the rest of us.
Thanks.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 02:42:48 PM »
Vincent,
How about some details on what he was charging, what charger, what mode they were charging in, etc?  Knowing what went wrong would be a big help to the rest of us.
My understanding is that these things just blow sometimes, although errors in charging certainly increase the possibility for problems.

At home I charge mine under a big heavy flower pot, on a concrete floor, in a room next to my office.  So hopefully if it blows it won't immediately take down the shop, and I'll be there to do something about it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 03:56:39 PM »
My understanding is that these things just blow sometimes, although errors in charging certainly increase the possibility for problems.

At home I charge mine under a big heavy flower pot, on a concrete floor, in a room next to my office.  So hopefully if it blows it won't immediately take down the shop, and I'll be there to do something about it.

Hi Tim,

Looks like you have a very safe charging environment. In the rare case that something goes wrong you will still be safe, stink from black smoke, but safe! If everyone followed your lead we would not have even the rare event that started this thread. :-)

Your statement "these things just blow sometimes" is a common misunderstanding. There are millions of these batteries in use throughout our little spaceship, without mishap when used/stored/transported properly. Like you eluded to, errors in charging are by far the most common cause of problems in our modeling use of LiPos. Overheating them is another problem as well as "any" opening of the thin protective casing (dents, cuts, etc.). Shorts are another problem. Continued use of a "puffed" battery is another problem. Poor packaging during storage and handling is another problem, etc.  But they do NOT just blow all by themselves, they need help, ...... usually from us humans. ;-)

Like Crist said, it is important to find out the facts. These will be a big help to all of us in our efforts to eliminate as many safety problems as possible. In FS the FAA has been very good at communicating details of all accidents to all CFI's so that we can train people to avoid the problems that cause these accidents. We should try to do the same in our area of aviation. :-)

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 02:38:45 AM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 04:59:19 PM »
Your statement "these things just blow sometimes" is a common misunderstanding.
There's always a reason, true.  The reason I said what I said is because even if you are taking all the precautions against blowing up the battery, you should still use a safe setup to do your charging (I didn't mention how I charge out in the field for a reason, but I think I'll get another flowerpot and a big heavy pottery plate).  Setting up a "perfectly safe" charge scenario is no reason not to put the LiPo in a bag to boot.

Of course, how many of us put our cell phones in a LiPo charging bag when we charge up their LiPo batteries?

(Note: I kept my mouth shut through an interesting discussion at my RC club earlier this month.  One of the guys is starting to fly gasoline models, 'cause the fuel is cheaper.  So the issue was raised that we should get a fire extinguisher for the gas.  Don't these people watch Formula 1 racing?!?  Don't they know that methanol burns just as readily as gas, only with a really pale blue flame, so's you can't see it?  A charged battery and a tank of fuel are both a whole bunch of chemical energy just waiting to be turned into heat and light -- only we're a lot more used to how a tank of fuel goes about setting the place on fire).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 12:41:41 AM »
Well said Tim. I agree with you 100%, even after taking all other precautions it is still worth the extra step of enclosing the batteries while charging.

RE: the dangers of wet systems, true how true. For the most part I think most wet modelers are very careful with their Alcohol or gas fluids. But like you said, they are playing with very powerful bombs. Accidents are very rare but they do happen. I still fly with gas in my IMAC planes (slowly converting them to E power ;-) and I have seen only one fire and also one jet crash and burn to ashes from burning JP-4.

I also have a very good friend that had his shop severely damaged by an explosion of the fumes from his glow fuel can. There was not a big fire, it seems that the explosion used up a lot of the available O2 in a pretty well sealed shop and there was not a lot left over for a big fire? That was their theory. My friend was not home at the time, his neighbor called the fire dept. The fire dept. along with the insurance investigator said that it appeared that his cat had knocked a large screw driver off his bench, the screwdriver arced across the 12V starter battery in his flight box, and this ignited the fumes from his not so perfectly sealed fuel can causing an explosion. Unfortunately, the cat was severally punished for it's misstep and did not survive the explosion/fire. ...... I have heard of several fires started by exposed 12V starter flight box batteries being arced causing a spark. I think cats being involved is still very rare. ;-)

So we are not alone in our potential dangers. And we haven't even started talking about fingers/hands in the prop problems with wet systems. I have three friends with serious injuries. One missing 1/2 of two fingers, one with disabling lacerations of the hand, and one with several large lacerations of the forearm. At one I was there to see all the blood and parts of flesh scattered about the pits.

At the NW CL contest this year there were three hand injuries that required medical attention. I am sure there are many more each year with wet system "systemic" safety problems.  So when the ECL critics point to our rare ECL safety issues, I am reminded of "those who live in glass houses ........." ;-)

Regards,  H^^

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 08:39:37 PM »
Found this on You Tube, it shows (intentional) Lipo fires with & without the Lipo Sack that Rudy mentioned.  Builds a pretty compelling case.

Also builds the case for WHY we should charge the packs out doors - just in case...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 11:21:14 PM »
Hi Dennis A.,

Thanks for the youtube. This is the same one that is shown on the LipoSack web site. Your right, it is compelling.

Their web site has a lot of info:          http://www.liposack.com/products.htm

I called the company many years ago and asked if they were using the Nomex fire safety material used by race car drivers. They said no, it was not good enough, it melted. They use an expensive aerospace material that can stand up to the high heat flames. This product is made here in the USA, using materials made in the USA. I do not trust the cheap imitations, I have been told that they burn through easily. IMHO the extra few $$ are well worth it for a safe, reliable product made here in the USA.

As I said before, I hope everyone gets the new LARGE version. It is really made for our ECL CLPA size batteries. It has the room inside to spread out the flames and debris without burning through. The smaller version is marginal for our size batteries.

I like their storage/transport bags too. They now have a link on their web site to a mfg. who makes a cool LiPoRack for charging.

After thousands of uneventful LiPo charges it is tempting to get complaisant at times. But then I think of the very small amount of effort and expense it takes to avert a potential disaster and I use my LiPoSack or one of my ceramic containers on EVERY charge. :-) .... something about "better safe than sorry". ;-)

Thanks again for the youtube link. I hope everyone watches it. :-)
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Chris Gilbert IRL-1638

• EI-1638
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 09:20:45 AM »
Not quite prevention, but in the event of a fire what is the best extinguisher to use?

My guess is powder (as opposed to CO2, foam or water), but I'm no expert.
IRL-1638

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 03:44:39 PM »
Not quite prevention, but in the event of a fire what is the best extinguisher to use?

My guess is powder (as opposed to CO2, foam or water), but I'm no expert.

Excellent question.

I have a general purpose fire extinguisher on my tile covered charging table. You want the one that lists for: electrical, wood, etc.

The LiPos we use are really hybrid batteries, a combination of Lithium Polymer and Lithium Ion. This means that it is very difficult to put out the initial chemical fire because it brings it's own O2 to the event and is burning at around 1,400 degrees f. Fortunately this fire only lasts a very short time (in our ECL case usually 4 short fires in succession) because is burns up its own flammable material quickly and is done.

The fire extinguisher is there to insure that the fire does NOT spread to any surrounding materials, and if it does, to make sure they are extinguished ASAP.

Another item while your at home depot buying your extinguisher is to get an inexpensive portable "smoke detector" to place above your charging area.

Again, please keep in mind that this is an extremely rare event. Me, and my electric flying friends have 10s of thousands of charges between us without damaging anything. But the good news is that even this very rare event can be prevented with some simple and inexpensive measures. :-)

Thanks for your great question.
Rudy
AMA 1667

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 08:10:15 PM »
Vincent,
Any word on the details of this fire?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 09:03:41 PM »
I think cats being involved is still very rare. ;-)

You can't trust cats, Rudy.  Here is Spencer plotting no good with the Bomber starting battery.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Vincent Corwell

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 01:31:26 AM »
Finally got some info:

these are approximate :   5 cell Turnigy lipo attached to Graupner starter
about 2 years old , Turnigy charger, always charged on concrete floor in
tin box, never problem before, but this time it was forgotten for couple of
hours and the lid lifted off the tin , cant post photos of damage but it