News:

• May 05, 2024, 08:56:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Plaese help to shorten the learning curve.  (Read 709 times)

Offline Percy Attfield

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Plaese help to shorten the learning curve.
« on: August 16, 2008, 11:10:01 AM »
Hi I want to start with electrics but wish to minimise the experimenting .  I have nothing at
present so it is a green field in terms of the electrics to be used. What set
up would be good to use to power my test platform, a 68 ounce Strega 750
sq inches wing?  It flies well with a piped RO Jet 65.

I expect to use a 4 cell lipoly battery arrangement 3300 milamp hours (the way I understand it that would give me 2200  useable milliamp) that weighs around 12 ounces. 6 ounces more than my normal fuel load but I expect the motor would be lighter than the 65 and the pipe.

My initial thoughts are a Hacker motor but what specifications? Please make alternative suggestions to the Hacker as well.

Percy
Percy Attfield - South Africa

Offline bob yocum

• New Pilot
Re: Plaese help to shorten the learning curve.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 11:58:51 AM »
 :!I am just slighty newer than you are.You might want to consider looking at Brodaks Superclown.It's an entry level electric ARF.Mine had it's first flight 2 days ago I had an expert fly it and he really liked it.Some people on this forum probably know Tony N.Mine has all brodak equipment,batt,esc and timer on 58ft.lines(015).The kit and instructions leave a little bit to be desired but it should not be real problem for you.My ESC had to be replaced after 4 30 sec test starts.Tony N of Smith bros. hobbies figured out the for me (Northridge Cal).

Offline bob yocum

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 12:06:20 PM »
I wanted to add you might want tp consider 60ft lines if you go with the 8x4 prop.There are quite a few posts on the suprclwn already,just go a few pages.

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 11:25:07 PM »
Hi Percy,
   Welcome to the electric forum. A drop in plug and play power system is easy for the Strega, but the learning curve is not so easy. My recommendation is to decide on a power system and ask questions as they arrive while working with it. There are many helpful people here that will help prevent rookie mistakes. Read some of the old threads in this forum, they are a great resource.

I will start by saying a 4S setup will not fly the Strega. Also, if you were to use a 3300mah battery you would also have 2475mah-2640mah rather than 2200mah. It is safe to use up to 75%-80% of the capacity.

Here is the power system that flew Paul Walkers 750sq" Impact at 75oz.

Motor: Plettenberg Orbit 30-12 (10.75oz)

Battery: Thunder Power 5S 4200mah Pro-Lite (16.5oz)

ESC: Schulze Future 18.46K F2B (1.75oz)

Timer: Proprietary     

Here is the power system that flies my Mustang, 675sq" and 68.75oz.

Motor: NEU 1907/2Y (9.5oz)

Battery: Thunder Power 5S 4000mah Pro-Lite (14oz)

ESC: Schulze Future 18.46K F2B (1.75oz)

Timer: Z-Tron V.4

Here are several other options that will fly your Strega well.

Motors: Hacker A40-10S or A40-12S, Plettenberg Orbit 25-14, Quantum 4120/06, Rimfire 50-55-650, Turnigy TR50-55B-600, AXI 4120/14, NEU 1910/1.5Y

Batteries: MaxAmps 4000mah, TrueRC 4000mah, Kokam 4000mah, Fullymax 3700mah

ESC's: Castle Creations Phoenix-45HV, Jeti Spin 44

Timers: JMP, Z-Tron, Hubin

As you can see there are MANY power systems that will work. Ideally the Strega will be ~45oz or less before the power system is installed. This should give you a takeoff weight of 75oz or less which very close to your current takeoff weight. This is be a lot to digest, so please let us know if you have any questions.

Mike

Offline Percy Attfield

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 07:45:16 AM »
Thank you gentlemen this is extremely useful! Thanks for the Super Clown suggestion.
Right now I appreciate the input from Mike on the Strega.  Thank you for the weights you added Mike.  Paul filled me in on what he was using but before setting off I want to understand the alternatives; your response is exactly what I needed.

A few more suggestions and I will have a starting point. Keith Renecle who flew an electric at the worlds also gave some suggestions (we are in the same club) so my data base is building up nicely.  Then I can start to check what I can source locally in South Africa and make a start.

What are the chances of the electric motors burning out? What should be done to avoid that?  Clearly there needs to be enough cooling of the motor and the battery pack, any thing else to be careful of?

LIPOs need very carefull charging that much I do know.

Thanks again.
Percy
Percy Attfield - South Africa

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 10:13:05 AM »
Hi Percy,
   With Keith Renecle at your side you should have little trouble with the transition to electric.

The chances of a quality brushless motor burning up are almost zero if the motor is sized correctly for the airplane and has sufficient cooling. Almost all ESC's have over current protection, so even a stalled motor will not be damaged (nose over on takeoff).

Burning out a motor has not been much of a concern, but here are a few ways it can happen. If you damage or remove any of the insulation on the windings the motor can short out. If the ESC connections are not insulated and touch during operation it can damage both the ESC and motor. If you overheat the motor you can reduce the permanent magnet strength, reducing the efficiency of the motor.

When working with lipo batteries (or any battery) work with one lead at a time. If you bump the two leads together while soldering a connector on you could potentially ruin the pack.

You are right about lipo batteries. You need to be careful with them, but don't be afraid of them. If you use quality batteries and charging equipment and charge in a safe area there is little to worry about. If you charge indoors keep a fire extinguisher handy and baby sit them.

Mike     

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here