News:

• May 01, 2024, 05:51:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: R/C Throttle Control Question  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Flying Knight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
R/C Throttle Control Question
« on: October 19, 2015, 06:06:49 AM »
I apologize for such a simple question, but I'm a newbie to C/L throttle control.   I am building a 59 Ares C/L model converted to electric power.  The model is almost done and I am considering installing R/C throttle control.  I want to install a R/C receiver and use the throttle control channel through my Spekrum 6i receiver.  This seems like a fairly simple install, but I'm curious about how this actually works.  Do I hang the receiver from my belt, lay it on the ground when I'm flying or is there a better solution?  Thanks!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: R/C Throttle Control Question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 10:24:48 AM »
If you hang the receiver from your belt you'll need an awfully long extension cable to plane.

Would you like a less smart-ass answer, since I know that you mean you're going to use your Spektrum 6i transmitter, with a suitable receiver in the plane?

Most people who do this (and they mostly do it for scale) hang their transmitter on their belt.  Personally, I've done this for 1/2-A sized planes using a cheapo RC car radio from Hobby King.  The transmitter is a hand-grip unit, and I've just held it in my left hand.

Note that if you're planning on competing in stunt, active throttle control is not allowed -- you can use RC to shut down the plane at the end of the flight, but you may not use it to control the throttle during the flight.  So for competition you'd need a timer.  If you just want to sport fly, or if you're a retread and you want to get back into the swing in stages, then go for it!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 10:51:59 AM »
There are lots of options, and everyone has proven their way is better than someone else, but in the end use what you like the best. Having flown with electronic controls since 1991 I have tried all forms.

Controls built into the handle - this is where the handle has the 2.4 Ghz controls and is also used for the elevator control. the RC car pistol grip have been converted to include a spot attach the lines. This probably would not work if the model was started as a CL stunt model

separate transmitter with stunt lines - This is what I use, the handle and lines look like the typical CL stunt setup. Then I hang the transmitter on my belt with a clip. Some people hang the transmitter on a strap around their neck. One person even held the RC car transmitter in their left hand and used the trigger to control the throttle. Either way the right hand controls the elevator, the left hand controls the throttle if you are right handed.

As for the conversion of the model to use the receiver is very simple, since your ESC probably works off BEC then that won't change. You should have throttle control with the same lines and everything else, same battery, motor and esc. Just swap out the timer with a receiver
1) remove the timer
2) plug the ESC into the receiver
3) Make a clip to hang the transmitter off your belt

Then you have throttle control with your stunt model, if you ever want to convert it back put the timer back in. Just remember to turn the transmitter on first, model second. When powering down, model gets turned off first, transmitter is turned off last.

Fred

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Larrys4227

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 12:40:01 PM »
I'm holding the 2.4G car transmitter in my left hand .....

This plane/throttle also works great as a trainer ...... nice and slow ... easy to control.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 11:35:32 PM »
I've done the R/C system thing quite a lot and it is so nice for training newbie's. I sometimes use it for trimming when I am trying to fine tune the lead-out rake/rudder offset trim. This allows me to see what influence the speed of the model makes on the yaw. So using an R/C system has its benefits.......BUT.....it's not great to fly the stunt pattern with it. The motor will slow down a bit in the climbs and speed up in the dives and it is not easy to control this with the throttle stick. If you do use an esc with a governor in it, then you can set  the throttle stick and leave it, but even that is not too great because you'll find that the throttle stick is to coarse to get a nice rpm. A timer is therefore a simpler option where you can set the rpm and leave it.

There are many threads on this forum that will help you to choose a timer for your needs, but just ask if you're not sure. The Ares is a great classic model, so have fun!

Keith R
Keith R

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here