News:

• May 09, 2024, 08:29:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Indoor Fast Combat?  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Peter Germann

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Indoor Fast Combat?
« on: December 22, 2009, 09:47:37 AM »
Dear Friends

trying to support a couple of friends over here, I would like your advice on the feasibility of c/l promotional indoor electric combat project.

The idea is to provide the typically young and ambitous indoor flyers with an attractive "toy" challenging their reflexes and eventually leading the way to "regular" c/l. In order to make use of inexpensive materials available from hobbyshops, or to be found on the shelf of indoor flyers, the basic outlines shall be:

Depron-airplane shape, size: Similar to F2D,  wingspan 20 in approx.
(Spectra-) Line length: 20 - 25 ft
Speed: 3-4 sec / lap
Bout time: 90 sec.
Inflight control of power: 2.4 Ghz radio, pilot operated

Any idea if and how such a project could be realized?

Thanks, Peter

Peter Germann

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Indoor Fast Combat?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 02:03:39 PM »
I think it would sound better with actual F2D engines.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 03:29:11 PM »
Hello Peter,
I like it!
Howard, you are a bad influence ... and I like that!
Seriously, it is a marvelous idea, farming a receptive pool of prospective CL flyers.
The only thing I'd change is to give both transmitters to the Umpire.
The pilots will be able to communicate with him or her verbally without problem.
Best Regards and Happy Holiday,
Dean P. 
Dean Pappas

Offline Peter Germann

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 05:51:15 AM »
Dean, the reason why to let the pilots manage thrust is that I thought this might add another dimension of thrill, both for pilots and spectators. Just imagine the flyer being tightly chased snapping back the throttle and watching the other guy zipping by...
And yes, Howard is fully right. But then there are those sound modules duplicating the roarr of a Packard (or Ferrari F1) engine while being connected to the throttle...
Peter
Peter Germann

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 06:59:57 AM »
Peter,
That is a wonderful idea, although I would just use a timer to limit the length of the match to say 3 minutes with specified motor size and esc and batterys leaving the plane design to the competitors. Using the existing fast combat rules with the addition of tethers on the major components to keep things safe. Hate to see someone hit with a battery or a motor. Dang, this is the sort of thing that could wake up CL for a lot of people. Some basic design parameters on plane size say maximum 250 sq. in wing would probably work well with 30 ft. lines and could maybe use a spectra based material for lines.

Great idea  #^

Scott 
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 08:12:16 AM »
This is a very interesting idea. How many places and what sort of places would be available for flying such machines? Seems to me that the venue is the biggest problem, as it is with any model flying.

John W
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 02:25:16 PM »
I see your point, Peter, but I still beg to disagree. Why is this?
Combat is a non-contact sport in much the same sense as Basketball  LL~
Managing a transmitter with the free hand while dancing in the center of the circle ... I don't think it will work very well. Of course, these questions would easily be sorted out in two or three trial events!
I will keep this in mind.
Merry Bah-Humbug to All,
     Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 05:34:44 PM »
Flaming LiPos on the basketball court?  I'm starting to like this.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Peter Germann

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 04:43:19 AM »
When suggesting 20-25 ft. lines this was to allow high airspeed while keeping the pilot's rotational speed manageable. I forgot to mention that this does not require the ceiling being higher than line lenght. All you (pilots) have to do is keep away from hitting not only the ground, but the ceiling, too. And to fly the airplane, manage power and cut your opponent's streamer, of course.

Peter G

This is a very interesting idea. How many places and what sort of places would be available for flying such machines? Seems to me that the venue is the biggest problem, as it is with any model flying.

John W
Peter Germann

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 07:36:52 AM »
This event is already very popular, except they just use readily-available RTF RC planes.

Why would guys pay MORE to do it on lines?   
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 02:13:35 PM »
With lines you dont crash into the walls!

Dwayne

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 02:28:20 PM »
With lines you dont crash into the walls!

Maybe not but I'm not going to buy an electric setup just to pile drive it into a hardwood floor or a paved indoor tennis court.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 10:01:15 AM »
Some notes - better late than never :-)

- I think line length will be limiting. Usually we (stunt) fly on 5m long lines and it gives a chance to fly in usual gym for basketball.
- Howard is right, crashed battery can burn, but we have also Lion and life cells in capacity approximately 1Ah. May be it can be usefull. I can imagine model for two such cells in targer weight 200g and power 100W ... span 800-1000mm
- it will ceratinly need to find some limitation for power ... R/C guys has limited prop size and on ground RPM

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 10:34:13 AM »
I think the ceiling would add an interesting constraint, as Peter suggests.  Thus one could fly combat in more rooms than one could fly stunt.  We could fit the models with rubber spinners so they wouldn't scuff the floor or ceiling.  Let's do it.

The Jive Combat Team

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 10:45:55 AM »
the model is very soft itself and we fly with rubber mounted props, so it is not very danger ... but I must say that I saw cut nose in half and guy did long red marked path running to the doctor  ;D

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 02:53:21 PM »
Dean, the reason why to let the pilots manage thrust is that I thought this might add another dimension of thrill, both for pilots and spectators. Just imagine the flyer being tightly chased snapping back the throttle and watching the other guy zipping by...
Peter
......and getting midaired in the battery and the LiPo spews smoke all the way down.

Combat is hard enough without a throttle!  Especially for beginners.

Otherwise it sounds great.  Sealed Lion cells(A-123 or simiar) would be good.  They wouldn't burn or get crash damaged so easily. 
phil Cartier

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 01:10:00 AM »
give both transmitters to the Umpire.
That sounds like a good idea. Probably reduces crash damage.

Still, I think the floor would need to be protected, unless the venue has a floor where minor damage is acceptable anyway.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here