News:

• April 30, 2024, 10:40:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paul Walker Wins with Electricity  (Read 2597 times)

Offline linheart smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Paul Walker Wins with Electricity
« on: April 26, 2007, 12:56:06 PM »
Let us all welcome Paul Walker to Electric with his beautiful new electric Impact.
He scored 589.5 at the Portland contest.

http://flyinglines.org/

linheart

Offline Mike Foley

• Lieutenant
Re: Paul Walker Wins with Electricity
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 03:39:30 PM »
  Details please.  Motor, battery, timer, speed controller, and any other goodies

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 04:08:31 PM »
Mike,
   Click on the link, all the details are mentioned along with pictures. Congrats to Paul!!! This should be an interesting NATS.

Mike

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 07:13:36 PM »
It will indeed be an interesting NATS and Team Trials. The Impact XLE was very impressive, and vewy, vewy quiet. LL~

One thing about the quietude of electric CL...it will allow you to fly where you otherwise couldn't. And it gives the impression of being safe, because everyone knows that noise = danger. The electric stunter is zero percent safer than an IC powered stunter, because the speed and mass are the same...or in this case, maybe a tad more.

Having used safety cones in park situations, I assure you that safety cones do nothing to protect the non-modellers in the park, because they ignore them completely. It does look good on the accident report, however, that you had the circle protected by dozens of safety cones.

What concerns me most is that those of us who are so used to the buzzing of a glow engine might let our guard down and could inadvertantly walk into the path of one of these newfangled electric stunters. Uh, for those who say that prop noise is almost as significant as exhaust noise, I will assure you...you're very wrong on that.
  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline fernando torres

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 08:48:06 AM »
I think that is a milestone. A turning point in history, like the invention of cellphones. When top pilots start
using electric(let alone winning), it is a major event and not anymore an experiment of the few. From now on more top flyers will get into it, and demands from manufactures will be made. As for us sport flyers, let's wait for prices to come down. FET
FET

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 11:30:18 PM »
Steve is right about safety.  I almost wandered into the path of an electrostunter the first time I was around one.  It certainly won't do as much as an IC-engine-powered plane to ward off pedestrians.  And once the prop starts chewing off somebody's arm, it might keep going. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 03:38:50 PM »
I agree that Paul's setup is superior. Not a question as far as I'm concerned. And as soon as I hit the lotto, I plan to bug Paul to death as I get my own electric setup going modeled on his.    VD~
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 07:25:38 PM »
Howard

Nope, it will stop and not continue running. It will go over voltage on the speed control and will get cut off by the speed control....

bob branch

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 09:53:37 PM »
Bob,
   I think you mean over current protection. This can be set on the CC ESC's to sensitive, standard, intensive or off. If it is off the ESC will not turn off until it melts down. I would wager most use it in standard mode and it will shut off like any glow engine. That or the person will have pulled their hand out of the prop by then.

Mike

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 06:40:34 AM »
mike

Yup, I was assuming they had not shut it off. Bad call on my part. We all know anything can be set as anything, and given potential for a big problem it probably has been.

bob

Offline Shawn Lenci

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 08:27:06 PM »
I clicked on the Northwest C/L link but could not find the info on Paul's electric set up.  Can anyone help me?

Shawn
AMA 97686

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 09:43:05 PM »
Hi Shawn,
   Paul was using a Plettenberg Orbit 30-14 motor, Schulze 18.46K ESC, Thunder Power ProLite 4200mah 5S2PB Battery and a Kim Doherty timer turning a 13.25 x 7 carbon prop. At the Nationals Paul had switched the ESC out for a (at the time) custom built Schulze FAI ESC.

Kim Doherty is the man behind the setup, so I will let him give a more detailed explanation if you need more info.

Mike   

Offline Shawn Lenci

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 10:45:49 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the info.  I really appreciate the help.  I figured he was using something other than the AXI 2826-10 witrh the Castle 45 controller.

Thanks again

Shawn
AMA 97686

Offline Vincent Corwell

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 12:15:40 AM »
I got lost reading all the excellent pages
but cant see the information re Pauls
electric winner ??
this fool needs the trail / link spelled out please ??

Vincent

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 09:26:53 AM »
Hi Shawn,
   Paul was using a Plettenberg Orbit 30-14 motor, Schulze 18.46K ESC, Thunder Power ProLite 4200mah 5S2PB Battery and a Kim Doherty timer turning a 13.25 x 7 carbon prop. At the Nationals Paul had switched the ESC out for a (at the time) custom built Schulze FAI ESC.

Kim Doherty is the man behind the setup, so I will let him give a more detailed explanation if you need more info.

Mike   

Boy I love this new stuff.  Makes me think of the days when it was stated: "McCoy 35 Redhead, McCoy gold glow plug,  K&B 100 fuel,  Tornado 10 X 6 nylon prop, all on a Ringmaster profile painted and finished with Testors dope.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007, 08:03:43 PM »
Vincent....  http://flyinglines.org/planes.5.07.html  ....bottom of the page. This is all the info published in FL, AFAIK.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Vincent Corwell

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 12:27:35 AM »
Thanks Steve

That is way out of my league
Perfect planning, building , flying

Some day........

Vincent

Advertise Here
Tags: