News:

• May 17, 2024, 02:59:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Outrunner Animation  (Read 432 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Outrunner Animation
« on: February 15, 2013, 01:05:30 PM »
I thought folks might be interested in seeing how the internals of a motor works.

Here's an animation of a 4-pole outrunner turning (you have to click on the thumbnail for the animation to start up).  The outer arcs are the business ends of the permanent magnets, the oddball-shaped inner pieces is the armature.  Red means a north pole, blue means a south pole, gray means an armature segment isn't energized.

Study it for a while, and you'll see that each armature segment switches polarity in a way that means it's always pulling a permanent magnet in the right direction to make the motor spin -- this is how the motor generates the torque it needs to keep the prop going.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Outrunner Animation
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 05:32:51 PM »
Good one Tim, thanks!

I did my own variation of "Outrunner animation" the other night at the Indy Sportliners Club meeting.  I was doing an intro-talk on electrics, with the motor running I was cranking up the throttle pot, tryig to show the range of the throttle.  Unfortunately I did not have the prop TIGHT enough and..... well it was animated for a few moments!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Outrunner Animation
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 05:42:30 PM »
I'll bet that some of the audience were pretty animated, too, for a bit.

That's one way to encourage the audience to pay attention.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here