News:

• March 29, 2024, 04:00:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dollar store foam?  (Read 1775 times)

Dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
Dollar store foam?
« on: August 01, 2018, 06:11:41 AM »
I've used it a fare bit for RC but never thought of building a stunter out of it, then this was posted on facebook, the gentleman is from China so his english is not to good, what we  know is that it is a practice plane about 50 inch span and weighs 38 oz. I don't know if he's using doublers for the motor and wing mounts. I must admit I'm a bit intrigued but would wonder about durability but hey it cost about 5 bucks to build so build a bunch of them.  y1 #^ ;D

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Dollar store foam?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 01:29:21 PM »
I'm not sure I'd go as far as that guy -- at some point you're putting enough effort into the build that you should use better materials.

But I think you could do pretty good to just go to Flight Test and build up one of their "Bloody Wonders", slap a bellcrank on it and a timer, and go to town.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 09:38:11 PM »
This is my only Family Dollar foamboard build... A Kitty Cat plane for my 8 y/o neighbor.
My son accused it of looking more like a blood-gorged tick.

I flew it, she flew it. It crashed and flew again with no repairs necessary. It's a wooden paint stirrer, foamboard, Balsa nacelle/Ply firewall, a little tape and some color changing paint, with a parts-box .049 Cox engine.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 12:49:05 PM »
This is my only Family Dollar foamboard build... A Kitty Cat plane for my 8 y/o neighbor.
My son accused it of looking more like a blood-gorged tick.

I flew it, she flew it. It crashed and flew again with no repairs necessary. It's a wooden paint stirrer, foamboard, Balsa nacelle/Ply firewall, a little tape and some color changing paint, with a parts-box .049 Cox engine.
Rusty

No problems with fuel on the foam?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 10:17:12 PM »
I sealed all the expose edges, but I forget how. The main parts are covered with plastic film or paper. I'll look and see if I can tell and report back. Maybe Titebond or epoxy, or maybe just Rustoleum. I'm sure I would have epoxied around the edges of the cat's head near the engine.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 10:40:21 AM »
I'm sure that Rustoleum from a rattle-can would melt foam.  Maybe not the brush-on stuff (I'll have to try it).  Epoxy thinned with alcohol would work splendidly, though -- I didn't think of that until you said "seal the corners".
AMA 64232

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 02:36:20 PM »
Hi, Tim
I looked at it today. There's definitely epoxy on all edges of the Kitty's head and of course the wooden nacelle and firewall. The rest of the platter's edges all the way around look like I smeared them with something, if it's not thick rattlecan paint, it would have been wood glue. I can make an indention into it with my thumbnail if I press hard.

I forgot to check and see whether the foam sheet is sandwiched between paper or thin plastic.

I just realized we're in the 'lectric forum, so nobody here but us cares about fuel proofing.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 05:57:17 AM »
I wouldn't mind making one for my boy. He would love it.
How about some plans for it?
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 09:57:34 AM »
I wouldn't mind making one for my boy. He would love it.
How about some plans for it?
Here you go, the Bill Osborne Platter Plane:
http://www.aeromaniacs.com/Platterins.html

These babies can be hard to launch. Just make sure your launcher holds it with the lines tight, and the plane pointing up and out... like a combat plane, only way more tame.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 04:11:31 PM »
These babies can be hard to launch. Just make sure your launcher holds it with the lines tight, and the plane pointing up and out... like a combat plane, only way more tame.
Rusty

Exactly.  Have them launch it straight, not like a Frisby as my wife did...

Mark

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 10:12:07 AM »
Rusty I wanted to get the plans for the Chinese version in the picture in the first post.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 04:39:01 PM »
Rusty I wanted to get the plans for the Chinese version in the picture in the first post.
Oh, Lol, so you were actually On topic then. I was thinking you needed a new kitty cat.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 06:48:26 AM »
Hey gentleman check this out.  https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-edge-540-aerobatic-electric-airplane-kit-1016mm-flt-1058/p780803
With a better Spar for wing and elevator and little parts here and there this one can work well I think for control line. It might even make a good starter model. Obviously some small modifications are required but nothing excessive.
I would add carbon fiber tubes to the LE TE of the horizontal the LE of the flaps and also in the wing spar too. Perhaps the spar can be a piece of balsa 1/4 with strips of CF on top and bottom. The "winglets" can also have a lead-outs and weight box attached to them.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 07:35:52 PM »
I have built 7 or 8 Flite Test RC models and designed and built a 53" high wing foam board model I still fly from time to time.   Here are a few observations: 1) foam board single surface flying surfaces (stab/elevator, fin/rudder) are prone to warping, 2) even the folded over wings can warp on you, 3) I think that for control line use, models over 36" span would need balsa/plywood doublers inside the fuselage along with bulkheads inside the fuselage to have enough strength for a normal pull test, 4) to have a fuselage mounted landing gear a plywood former would be required, and birch blocks in the wing for wing mounted landing gear, 5) if not protected by oil based polyurethane, epoxy, rustoleum, etc.  the paper of Dollar Tree foam board will unglue itself from the foam with only modest exposure to water (much less fuel). 6) the "waterproof" foam board Flite Test sells (and only sells in $50.00 batches) is more accurately merely water resistant if not further treated/painted, 7) Flite Test "waterproof" foamboard must be scuffed with 220 grit for paint to adhere, 8) foam board only comes in one thickness so you are often using a piece of foam board that is not the ideal thickness for the job at hand, 9) if I wanted a foam board CL model to last more than a handful of flights I would use an electric motor,never an IC motor.

I love building RC models with foam board. They build fast, and often repair with only packing tape.  I have a Flite Test Tiny Trainer that is 3 yrs old and has over 150 flights on it.  But having built with foam board for 3 yrs and being familiar with its limitations, I have never been tempted to spend any time or effort making a control line foam board model.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, Missouri

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here