News:

• April 17, 2024, 11:21:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Optimization of Flight Parameters  (Read 10401 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Optimization of Flight Parameters
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2018, 02:59:22 PM »
Hi Howard,
I am EXPERIMENTING with the motors and batteries combinations for my plane.
The Plettenberg Orbit 15-20 is too light having in mind the length of the nose of MP Bee.

I will use it anyway just to test the flight performance but, with 6S and 5S, it will need extra lead weight at the tip of the nose.
This is exactly what I had to do having Cobra 3515/18...I added more than 1.8 oz. of lead to avoid hunting.

This extra lead weight, needed to keep the C.G where it is with MVVS, will effectively make the entire exercise redundant.

Simply put: To use EFFECTIVELY Plettenberg Orbit 15-20 and 5S TP, I need a model with LONGER nose - like the original Igor's Max Bee I am building.

I will let you and everybody else know how the flight tests with Cobra, Pletty and, possibly, also AXI F2B went.

Cheers,
M

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2018, 08:03:04 AM »
Additional thoughts:
1. I will calculate the exact values of pitching moments of inertia for all the motors and batteries used in my tests but I am convinced that these values are secondary w/r to the static moments. Static moments define the location of the C.G of the entire RTF plane and, consequently, the tendency to hunt or not to hunt, groove and not to groove and a large portion of this what everybody calls "trimming".

2. I am also convinced that the values of pitching moments of inertia of motor and battery w/r to the C.G. cannot be treated as standalone numbers. The entire plane has the pitching moment of inertia and this number defines the plane's behavior in corners. Large pitching inertia - large corners, small pitching inertia - small corners, assuming of course the input stays the same.

3. What portion of the entire pitching inertia of the RTF plane does the pitching inertia of the motor and the battery represent? There are ways of finding this number and, in loong and gloomy winter days, I will find it.

Going flying now to work on these corners.
M

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2018, 01:38:20 PM »
I am EXPERIMENTING with the motors and batteries combinations for my plane.
The Plettenberg Orbit 15-20 is too light having in mind the length of the nose of MP Bee.

I will use it anyway just to test the flight performance but, with 6S and 5S, it will need extra lead weight at the tip of the nose.
This is exactly what I had to do having Cobra 3515/18...I added more than 1.8 oz. of lead to avoid hunting.

This extra lead weight, needed to keep the C.G where it is with MVVS, will effectively make the entire exercise redundant.

Now there's ballast!
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2018, 11:30:57 AM »
I have just received the ordered Cobras and I am testing right now.

The Plettenberg people I have contacted do not want to give the allowable current for the Orbit 15 and Orbit 20 motors of my choice (!!). Specifically, there is some Pascal woman who tells me that " I have to have proper cooling" and " Flying in Australia is different from flying in Finland".

I appreciate the female perspective (safety is the most important thing..) but where are the numbers?

Perhaps I can reach somebody at the Plettenberg factory who is less apprehensive.
M

Offline Christoph Holtermann

• 2019 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2018, 05:54:05 AM »
Hello Matt,

I can understand Pascal's response to some extent. BTW: Was it Pascal Meyer from Plettenberg in Baunatal, Germany?

When I still flew my Kontronik Kora15-16, also a very compact, very light-weight and high-end motor, I looked at attached graph and saw that at 11,000 rpm the motor would easily do its job and not overheat. You see that with more rpm the higher the power can be. This motor had an integrated fan, very comparable to the Orbit 15 Heli Expert that was recommended by Plettenberg to me but which I never purchased. With more rpm, the cooling increases and you can load the motor better.
So I would say that it rather depends on your target prop and target rpm and of course how it is cooled.

Christoph

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2018, 11:37:05 AM »
Hi Christoph,
Yes - Pascal Meyers.
After I sent her a little story, sort of my technical curriculum vitae, she finally sent me the numbers.

She claims now that the Plettys I am considering [ Orbit 15-20 (Kv=755), 15-22 (Kv=685), Orbit 20-16 (Kv=720) and 20-18 (Kv=640) ] will survive the continuous in-flight current of 30 Amps. with many current spikes reaching 34 Amps. when the active timer kicks in. My MVVS 8.0 Kv=680 draws 29.6 Amps. in flight but this is an average current.

34 Amps. has never been measured - it has been assumed by me. I would love to record the entire pattern's current but my EagleTree eLogger goes into conflict with either Spin66 or active timer or both and cannot be used.

More...the Spin66 "Measure" option does not record the maximum current and the RPM recorded are wrong. It records, though, the time of flight and max.temperature correctly. I have contacted JETI people who remain comfortably mute.

If I could only measure and record the in-flight current spikes with my MVVS...Hmmm.

Orbit Heli Expert motors have too high Kv. Nobody will competitively fly the full size F2B plane with motors having 1300-1555 Kv.

Regards,
M

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2018, 07:25:10 PM »

Orbit Heli Expert motors have too high Kv. Nobody will competitively fly the full size F2B plane with motors having 1300-1555 Kv.

Regards,
M

You can get the cooling fan put on any of the 15 series motors.
You can buy the motors in Canada from Icare. (They have to order from Germany, so there is some wait time)
http://www.icare-icarus.com/
email Etienne with your request ( front shaft/back shaft/ wind/ cooling fan)
MAAC 8177

Offline Christoph Holtermann

• 2019 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2018, 12:38:25 AM »
Hi Matt,

I was offered an Orbit 15 Heli Expert with 710 rpm/V, not 1300.

You must know that Plettenberg can customize motors and for instance Richi Kornmeier received customized motors after having gone through extensive testing with these motors. He however clearly set the parameters which were the prop (3 blade wood 12x6.3 from Havran (HUN), same as on ST-60) and the 6s battery.

I still think that an Orbit 15 would fit well to a smaller prop (11x5) running at higher revs (with fan) and an Orbit 20 well to a target rpm of 9900, for instance for the 12x5N or 12x5UCT from Igor, maybe then without fan. The fan is quite large in diameter (good!), but not always fits in motor compartments which was my case.

Look also the Kontronik Kondor series. They have 3 bearings, one large diameter bearing supporting the rotor to the front end.

https://www.kontronik.com/produkte/motoren/kondor/kondor-25/kondor-25-65.html

Kontronik also has excellent costumer service. But as with Plettenberg or MVVS, you will need to pay a little extra compared to mass production motors.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2018, 08:41:01 AM »

Well, Matt, I am not surprised they are silent. First of all they had company holidays. Second I also often do not know what to answer you, since your questions usually contain "your" answer, so maybe that was why they answered that is "does not work" :- ))

Actually it does and I wrote you in mail why you _I think_ you what you got, because I know our way of flight, while they do not have any clue what you do :- )))

So I will write it also here,

Spin DOES store maximal current. However that current is based on "some" resistance inside the ESC, so you cannot expect 0.5% precision. The current is measured really as MAXIMAL current, not as maximum from flight. It means Spin stores that current in case that ESC runs for some time for full throttle, and that is something we do not do normally since we have governor which should not go to maximal throttle.

RPM is also measured and stored. You wrote me that it was larger than maximum set in ESC, I wrote you that there is PID which can have overshooting. Plus MAX and MIN has some "atomization" so it can easily be that real max during work is some % more than what you set as parameter.

It works to some extent, but it is not mentioned to measuring device, it is tool for troubleshooting, not for power analyze.

I am happy that they make those ESCs for us (only for us) as they make money on something else than C/L flyers and currently I am waiting for new box (because they have really lot of work after holidays), so I am not surprise about answer "forget it, does not work" or simply silent :-  ))))))

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2018, 12:18:16 PM »
Christoph, Igor,
Please see the attached. My MPBee received Cobra3520/12, Kv=820 motor and 5S ThunderPower 2800 mAh. battery.
RTF weight =1774 grams ( 62.6 oz.) with 12x5x3 Igor's narrow blades propeller.

Flight tests will commence when the tropical downpours in Toronto end.

Christoph,
I will most likely get Pletty Orbit 15-22 Kv=685 for use with 6S. The wait time is 10-12 weeks.
The Plettenberg web site published information needs somebody who knows how to present the technical data to the customers clearly and concisely. Right now the way they show it is a bit disorganized.

Igor,
There are two conditions that must be fulfilled for the Spin66 ESC to record the maximum current.

Please see the excerpt from the manual (below):

"In order to measure correctly, the controller must run at full throttle at least 4 s in the course of
the whole flight. In case of constant rpm setting (Heli const. RPM) this condition may not be
fulfilled and the measurement will not correspond to real values".

Like you wrote, nobody flying F2B runs the full throttle for 4 seconds and SPIN66 working with the active timer is set to Heli (C.RPM)3D mode, excluding the possibility of recording and storing the maximum current what, I have to admit, would be very convenient.

Well...we cannot have everything we dream about but we can try.
There is always some learning involved and this keeps out aging brains active.

Regards,
M

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2018, 01:25:37 PM »
Hello,
I have promised the comparison of the pitching moment of inertia for different motors and batteries and the first comparison is presented below.

My latest assumption was that the changes in the Pitching Moment of Inertia (PMI) caused by using the motors and batteries having different weights, must be calculated considering the PMI of the entire, RTF, model.

My tests show that this assumption was correct.

Configuration 1: MVVS 8.0 Kv=680, weight 228 grams and 6S ThunderPower 2800 mAh battery, weight 362 grams with EC3 connector.

Configuration 2: Cobra 3520/12 Kv=820, weight 216 grams and 5S ThunderPower 2800 mAh battery, weight 302 grams with EC3 connector.

The attached shows the details. The prop., spinner and prop. adapter were the same in both cases.

Red wide arrow: unchanged location of the C.G.
Blue wide arrow: 6S C.G.
Green arrow: 5S C.G.

The formula used: I (PMI)=(m x g x L x T^2) / 4x PI^2 where:
m=mass of the RTF model (1.844 and 1.774 Kg. respectively)
g= earth gravity (9.81 m/s^2)
L=distance from the point of suspension (please see the explanation below) to the RTF model C.G. = 1.47 m.
T=period of small oscillations in seconds (please see the explanation below).

After repeating the tests five times for each configuration and averaging, the PMI for the configuration 1 is
4.6050 kg x m^2 and for the configuration 2, 4.1730 kg x m^2.

Explanation: MPBee has been hung using the piece of string in such a way that the entire hanging model became the inertial pendulum with the nose pointing down. Small oscillations mean the amplitude of less than 3" what makes the sin ALPHA =~ ALPHA. The effect of aerodynamic drag was the same in both cases and is, therefore, irrelevant.

After using the Steiner's rule, the PMI about the model's C.G is 0.625 kg x m^2  for the first and 0.622 kg x m^2 for the second configuration.

This simply means that the corners will be the same in both cases, assuming of course the same input.

Happy Flying,
M

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2018, 12:14:48 PM »
More interesting data from the field:

5 pattern flights with Cobra 3520/12 and 5S TP 2800 mAh. batteries today.
The propeller used: Igor's 12x5x3 narrow blade.
ESC: Spin66
Timer: active timer from Igor, Target Throttle 165, Max. Throttle =187 - unchanged setup from the last flights.
Static (ground) RPM=10,520-10,540)

Lap times: 5.14-5.17 seconds. Audible RPM boost when the nose of the model goes up.
Light wind ( 8 miles/hour) becoming gusty - gusts speed about 14 miles/hour, various directions.
Temperature: 22 deg.C in the early morning (6:30 AM) becoming 29 deg. C at 11 AM.

The batteries drain 78 -80 percent. Acceptable.
The motor temperature after landing: 48-50 deg.C (measured by the infrared temperature gun).
The batteries temperature after landing: 45 deg.C in the morning becoming 50 deg.C around 10:30 AM.

Now, the main problem I have can be defined in the following way:
Should I fly the 1774 grams RTF plane with Cobra 3520/12 Kv=820 motor and 5S batteries OR should I fly the 1844 grams plane with MVVS 8.0 Kv=680 with 6S batteries?

In both cases the quality of the pattern on my level seems to be the same.

Decisions, decisions and more decisions...

Regards,
M

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here