News:

• April 16, 2024, 02:07:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Olde Time .  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Olde Time .
« on: January 13, 2018, 10:38:31 PM »

Of Course ELECTRIC is fine in O.T.S. , as long as it's the same vintage as the Aeroplane . ( Duck for cover Icon  :o) VD~ S?P

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Olde Time .
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 12:07:18 AM »
LOL   LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 12:55:44 PM »
Make fun of it all you want the thing is i learned to fly with that type model back in 1986. So this dates even before that. 
The principle was the same I had a tube PVC with 6D size batteries inside. the power was going to the handle which had a switch built in it.
I used copper wires I cannibalized from a electric motor they where tied to the handle and tied with w knot to the 1/16 plywood then routed in to the brushed motor. The wing was a 1/8 piece of flat balsa the stab was a 1/16 flat balsa with cloth hinges the push rod a 1mm piece of wire with a Z bend at both ends. the fuselage was a piece of spruce wood 3/8x1/16.
We made balsa props. The landing gear was a flat piece of aluminium with a 1mm wire through it and the wheels where corks from wine bottles.

It taught me how to land take off fly level some S flying and that was it. It might be a good project even for boy scouts to do.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 04:42:34 AM »
What happens when your flying wires touch?

The battery gets hot and you start doing a funny dance.
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 09:46:41 AM »
What happens when your flying wires touch?
Electric motor copper wingdings have protective coating. They will not short.
Jim you are funny.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 04:58:56 PM »
Back 73/74 used a sheet J2 rubber job , with ' slot car ' set up .

Slot car motor , a propellor  %^@ 20 litre drum full of rocks ( it rocked a bit  LL~ ) slot car speed controller , and 12 V car battery or S. Car Transformer .

Two ball races on the stick got the electrickery thru , rotationally .

This ones the same principle as the antique one ;

Thought a combination of the two ( three car batterys , 36 Volt for voltage drop on 60 ft lines )
Would be lighter than batterys in aeroplane .
Might need a third wire in case the lines shorted out .
At least the motor would stop if the lines melted .

And Wonders , a wheeled trolley for the batteries might make proceeds somewhat less arduous .

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 06:21:11 PM »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 05:02:39 PM »
ARGH ,

but say you had a trolley three car batteries , or a truck battery or two , and a whirly connector head thingo , you could drag out into the center to get enough grunt for one of these modern fancypants motors .
What do batterys in the plane weigh nowadays ?

It'd be that much lighter . Unless it started raining .  :o zzzzzzzzzzzz spark . electricity noises .  :P  :-\

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 05:51:04 PM »
Hello Matt Back in about 1980 I used the Aeromodeller plan for a Cosmic Wind 'round the pole' model and modified it to include a bellcrank. Used enameled copper wire and motorcycle batteries in a back pack and we  flew it a lot . Even some of the neighborhood kids had a go when I flew it in the local park .
Modern batteries mean nobody will bother now with power down the lines as resistance is to high to get meaningful watts coming out of the lines without dangerously highy voltages . Don't like to admit it as I love caster oil and internal combustion engines but those electric models have a lot going for them now especially when they seem to win all the events here in NZ now! I may build Paul Delgatte B25 stunter and would be tempted to use electric so I could fly scale at the Nats with 2.4ghz throttle control . (Electric models won both F2B and C/L Scale at our Nats in January)
Regards Gerald

Motors= https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-g25-brushless-outrunner-870kv.html
Battery= https://www.hobbycity.nz/collections/lipo-batteries/products/5200mah-4s-60c-lithium-ion-hv-battery

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here