News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:23:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Off the shelf 3-blade props?  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Off the shelf 3-blade props?
« on: April 30, 2022, 05:38:53 PM »
Who makes 3-blade props suitable for electric?

I'm down to just one Cox-Resinger 3-blade, and my current flying situation isn't really right for CF props anyway -- too many grass clumps and rocks; landings generally involve unauthorized contact with the ground, and takeoffs usually trim vegetation.

I slapped a Master Airscrew 11x6 3-blade on.  I'm going to run with it, but to get the lap times where I want them I had to dial the motor speed way back -- I'm running it at 8400 RPM.  Yes, I'm willing to learn how to re-pitch props -- but it would be nicer to just buy a bunch of something and use it.

Xoar has nice-looking wood props in 11x4 and 11x5.  These seem like a good candidate, and if they're cheap enough I'm willing to use them up.

Master Airscrew's lowest pitch in an 11-inch diameter is 6 inches, which is really too high.

APC's only 11 inch 3-blade has a 7-inch pitch -- so it's worse yet.

Note that, yes, I could try two-bladers.  I may do it.  But if there's a source for 3-blade props that I can buy, slap on the plane, and not weep too much if I take the tip off on a rock, that would be nice.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Off the shelf 3-blade props?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 07:00:26 PM »
I slapped a Master Airscrew 11x6 3-blade on.  I'm going to run with it, but to get the lap times where I want them I had to dial the motor speed way back -- I'm running it at 8400 RPM.
I have been using the MA 11x6 3 for the past year at 9500.  Lap times 5.2 on 65' Eye to Eye.  You must be lighter.  It is the only reasonably priced 3 blade out there.  I did try the newer Thunder Power 11-5 two blade.  Like the three better.  I believe it was Turnigy that made an 11-5 three blade wood.  I used it two years ago and really liked it.  I just checked HobbyKing and all they have are the huge props. I like wood better on most anything.  Good luck.  Most everybody here re-pitches everything.  I guess I will be forced to learn soon too as supplies dwindle.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 07:15:52 PM »
I have been using the MA 11x6 3 for the past year at 9500.  Lap times 5.2 on 65' Eye to Eye.  You must be lighter.  It is the only reasonably priced 3 blade out there.  I did try the newer Thunder Power 11-5 two blade.  Like the three better.  I believe it was Turnigy that made an 11-5 three blade wood.  I used it two years ago and really liked it.  I just checked HobbyKing and all they have are the huge props. I like wood better on most anything.  Good luck.  Most everybody here re-pitches everything.  I guess I will be forced to learn soon too as supplies dwindle.

Ken

Xoar's website lists five different pitches for their 11" 3-blade electric props, starting with 4".  But they don't seem very available here and now.

I'm in the highly questionable position of flying a close-to-Impact plane on 60 foot lines, handle to canopy.  This is because flying at home means flying that length lines.

If it really doesn't like the 5.2 second lap times I may solve the problem by going back to 70' lines and flying out of the club field in Portland -- that means more driving for the same amount of flying, but it'll get the job done.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 10:11:01 AM »
Tim,
I've used the MAS 3 blades on both 35 and 46 size electric ships, they have pushers 9x7, 11x6 both worked fine (also have the 12 & 13x6 pusher). As you get into the larger diameters, they get a bit heavy. Another thing to keep in mind is the MAS's are generally one flying pitch lower then the stated pitch.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 11:32:17 AM »
Another thing to keep in mind is the MAS's are generally one flying pitch lower then the stated pitch.

I've heard that, but there's two things I know:  It flies way faster than the 5.5" pitch Cox-Resinger prop I was using, and it measures out to just about 6" pitch on my pitch gauge.

Note that's measuring the pitch the way I would any other airfoil that's curved on the bottom -- I'm eyeballing the center of the LE and evening that up with the TE.  If the prop were truly flat on the bottom I'd just put the pitch gauge's ruler on the flat of the blade.
AMA 64232

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2022, 03:27:10 PM »
Graupner use to make some good ones but good luck finding any. I would comb out Hobby King, sometimes you can find cheap CF props, good luck using their search engine.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 04:07:33 PM »
Tim,
I always adjust to the flat back and clamp the gauge in place so I get the same pitch on all blades. I basically use the pitch gauge reading as a relative number when comparing one prop to another and guess at the slip fug factor in my spreadsheet that lets me get a starting point

If it is going faster then the Cox prop I'd guess it has a bit more blade area and is just biting a bit better.

Best,    DennisT
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 11:36:49 AM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 07:52:43 AM »
guys,

I have two different sizes of the Graupner 3 blade pusher props, if anyone is interested? cant remember the size off hand but can find out.

They are nice and light, but they did not work for my application...I do like their 2 blade props however
Tim Stagg

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here