News:

• May 02, 2024, 01:42:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: # of poles in motors?  (Read 769 times)

Offline Jim Howell

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
# of poles in motors?
« on: November 10, 2010, 02:14:16 PM »
Okay, to use some of the options in the Castle Creations Castle Link program, I believe that one needs to know the "Number of Poles" in the motor.  By working thru manufacturer's web sites, I think I've discovered the following:

All Axi motors have 14 poles
E-Flite Power Series - at least the 15 and 25 - have 12 poles
Scorpion 3020 series have 14 poles.

When I went to the LHS and asked the question about RimFire 15 (old 35-30-xx ElectriFly) motors, the owner told me, "That's easy just rotate the bell and count the sets of windings, that means for this motor the number of poles is 12."  That process seemed easily do-able, until my later visit to the Scorpion site where in one place the tech specs for the Scorpion 3020 says "Number of poles 14", "Number of stator arms 12".  I would have thought that the guidance from the LHS guy would give me a count of stator arms, not necessarily the number of poles.

Can anyone clarify this for me?  (And possibly confirm/correct my numbers.) Now that I believe that the LHS guidance has come under a cloud of suspicion, it isn't clear that I know a way to determine the number of pole without disassembling the bell to count magnets.  (That assumes that I cannot find the info in some type of tech spec description.)

TIA,
Jim Howell
Jim Howell
Huntsville, AL  AMA 545805

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
Re: # of poles in motors?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 02:34:34 PM »
It is number of MAGNET POLES ... none of those answers are really exact, number of arms has nothing to do with number of poles, and number of magners are USUALY equivalent to number of poles, but some motors could have one pole formed by several magnets.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 03:22:08 PM »
I think pretty much if you go the manufacturers web site, that information is part of the technical specs for the specific motor.
Hacker has a couple of A40-10L motors, One is 8 poles, and the other 14,, so you have to watch closely,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Jim Howell

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 05:21:43 PM »
I think pretty much if you go the manufacturers web site, that information is part of the technical specs for the specific motor.
Hacker has a couple of A40-10L motors, One is 8 poles, and the other 14,, so you have to watch closely,,

Ease of use of manufacturer's web site varies all over the place.  Scorpion was the easiest.  The Axi folks had a separate page that I couldn't find on my own.  I ended up sending a query to them and they pointed me to the right page.  Never did try to find out the navigation to the page, just saved it off.  ElectriFly may do something similar but couldn't find anything that made sense to me.  Most of their info seemed to be along the lines of matching power to configurations for R/C.

I haven't gone to the Hacker site since all my Hackers are geared In-Runners.  And, given the content of previous posts, I'll save those jewels for my OT R/C application.  That said, your point is well taken.

Thanks for the "head's up".

Jim
Jim Howell
Huntsville, AL  AMA 545805

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here