News:

• April 20, 2024, 06:41:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nobler ARF electric correct CG position  (Read 834 times)

Offline Electric George

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Nobler ARF electric correct CG position
« on: February 02, 2023, 05:18:54 AM »
Help please,

I have acquired a used for i.c.  Nobler ARF and set about an electric conversion. Where did your electric version C of G end up?
All up weight is 48.5 ounces. However, it is tail heavy. Something I was not expecting as usually with electric conversions it is the other way around. I have also read that other electric conversions require tail weight. Added weight to the nose on the Great Planes cg machine and to get the manual stated  2 1/2" cg I needed to add 4.5 ounces!

4s system, 2200 lipo but I was expecting to go bigger (more weight but further back).

Thanks

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Nobler ARF electric correct CG position
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 09:52:13 AM »
Help please,

I have acquired a used for i.c.  Nobler ARF and set about an electric conversion. Where did your electric version C of G end up?
All up weight is 48.5 ounces. However, it is tail heavy. Something I was not expecting as usually with electric conversions it is the other way around. I have also read that other electric conversions require tail weight. Added weight to the nose on the Great Planes cg machine and to get the manual stated  2 1/2" cg I needed to add 4.5 ounces!

4s system, 2200 lipo but I was expecting to go bigger (more weight but further back).

Thanks
Mine with a 2826 and 4s 2800 balanced at 2" behind the LE at the fuselage when I finally got the trim I wanted.  Fabulous flyer, wish I still had it.  I did rework the controls to be 3:4 instead of 1:1 which may have had some impact.  It was overpowered at 50oz with the 2826 and was to get a 2820 4s 2200 retrofit to drop the weight.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Electric George

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 02:11:26 AM »
Hi Ken,
Thanks for the info. I have done a good bit of reading on this ARF on here and I have enjoyed reading several of your posts on this ARF. I have been happy to read that you have enjoyed flying it and so, given my limited flying abilities, I am confident it is more of a flyer than I am and a worth while project for me.
50 oz is where I hoped it would come out and I am happy with that and so disappointed with 53oz. It is useful to know that yours 2" behind the L.E. That is half inch in front of Manual balance point but makes sense as it is electric (which I have read like a more forward balance point). So looks like I am going to have to get the balance forward to at least the 2 1/2 " position for first flights.
I have read that with i.c. power it requires weight in the tail to get good squares and so I will investigate the tail end for signs of weight being added that I can remove. I can always add again later if needed.
If I can get down the amount of weight I need to add to the nose and achieve close to 50 ounce I will be much happier.
Thanks

Offline Electric George

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 03:46:08 AM »
Bingo!
Found signs of weight added beneath the film, cut in, drilled and removed about 1 oz!
I then found a heavy prop nut (came off a foamie Spitfire electric model), approx 1 oz in weight. Weighed and only needed 15grams to get the balance point. total weight 48.75 ounces. Huzzah! y1

I am not sure about using the heavy prop nut as the motor is rear mount and I think I remember reading that there can be problems with bearings?
Anyway, if I stick to weight on the motor mount /bulkhead instead I should still bring it in at 50oz or a bit under #^ 

Thanks

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 05:55:07 AM »
Hi -

I think that adding a heavy prop nut is probably not the best option specially since the motor is rear mounted.  Even on my front mounted motors I would avoid doing that. I always try to use the lightest spinner and prop.  If you are running the ESC in governor mode it will thank you as well.  I believe that you will be better off adding the weight to the airframe itself.

Good luck,

Teo

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 08:26:00 AM »
I have read that with i.c. power it requires weight in the tail to get good squares .....
Thanks
There are two factors IMHO that led to the Nobler ARF not doing exceptionally tight squares.  First the shape they used for the stab on the ARF.  It is flat and has a rather blunt LE.  The regular Nobler is airfoiled and has a rather sharp LE.  It produces more lift and overcomes the flaps faster.  That one you can only fix by adding a false LE - which I did since MonoKote hides your transgressions easily.  The other is that the ARF Nobler has way too much flap.  That you can fix by either changing the ratio or trimming them more like the Gieseke version.  The Gieseke flaps are at least 1/2" smaller than the stock ARF.  Some of his were even narrower, especially at the tip.  As small as 1/4".  Even with all of those changes the best corner I could get with it was measures at 12'.  A Nobler is an accident waiting to happen if flown tail heavy.  Please don't.  12' is a tight corner in today's world.  Only a handful of our top expert fliers can do a quality corner under that, and I will guarantee you it was not with a Nobler.  So, don't worry too much about the corners being tight, they can easily be flown smooth and present a high scoring maneuver.   One other thing before I get accused of Fancherizing, you have probably read about the stock controls in the ARF being "crap".  The better ones are but most are even worse.  If they haven't been replaced - beware.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Electric George

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 02:19:01 AM »
Hi -

I think that adding a heavy prop nut is probably not the best option specially since the motor is rear mounted.  Even on my front mounted motors I would avoid doing that. I always try to use the lightest spinner and prop.  If you are running the ESC in governor mode it will thank you as well.  I believe that you will be better off adding the weight to the airframe itself.

Good luck,

Teo

Hi Teo,
I agree and I took it off as soon as I finished writing it. The extra weight from adding weight to the airframe instead was only small and so no problems.

Offline Electric George

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 02:24:20 AM »
There are two factors IMHO that led to the Nobler ARF not doing exceptionally tight squares.  First the shape they used for the stab on the ARF.  It is flat and has a rather blunt LE.  The regular Nobler is airfoiled and has a rather sharp LE.  It produces more lift and overcomes the flaps faster.  That one you can only fix by adding a false LE - which I did since MonoKote hides your transgressions easily.  The other is that the ARF Nobler has way too much flap.  That you can fix by either changing the ratio or trimming them more like the Gieseke version.  The Gieseke flaps are at least 1/2" smaller than the stock ARF.  Some of his were even narrower, especially at the tip.  As small as 1/4".  Even with all of those changes the best corner I could get with it was measures at 12'.  A Nobler is an accident waiting to happen if flown tail heavy.  Please don't.  12' is a tight corner in today's world.  Only a handful of our top expert fliers can do a quality corner under that, and I will guarantee you it was not with a Nobler.  So, don't worry too much about the corners being tight, they can easily be flown smooth and present a high scoring maneuver.   One other thing before I get accused of Fancherizing, you have probably read about the stock controls in the ARF being "crap".  The better ones are but most are even worse.  If they haven't been replaced - beware.

Ken

Interesting flap info, I will store that for future reference. Balance is now slight nose down on the Topflite Nobler ARF manual balance position. Should be good to go and total 49 oz.
Thanks

Offline katana

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 04:15:33 AM »
I am not sure about using the heavy prop nut as the motor is rear mount and I think I remember reading that there can be problems with bearings?

I can't see what difference a heavy / light prop nut will make to bearing life providing it is balanced! No one is concerned about bearing life in a car engine when a heavy flywheel or harmonic
balancer is hung on each end of the crankshaft! It'll make a difference in motor rpm response, sure, but little else and heavy prop nuts have been used for years for balance purposes with both
ball raced and plain bearinged IC engines  ;)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here