News:

• March 29, 2024, 04:01:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Please remove topic  (Read 2099 times)

mark romanowitz

• Trade Count: (0)
Please remove topic
« on: June 29, 2018, 01:36:35 PM »

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:30:32 PM by mark romanowitz »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Newbie Question about Changing Prop Direction..
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 01:53:31 PM »
Swap any two wires from the ESC to the motor.  It'll change direction, no problem.  The motor looks the same to the ESC regardless of what direction it's going.  Don't even think about reversing the battery leads -- that would be bad, in a smoky, maybe fiery, expensive sort of way.

If you want to just try it out, reverse the motor direction, put on a clockwise prop, and leave the spinner off.

Note that the effect that reverse-rotation props have on flight is moderately subtle, and change the required trim of the airplane.  If you reverse rotation and the plane immediately flies better, it doesn't mean that reverse-rotation is better -- it means that your plane was poorly trimmed, in a way that just happened to be more right for the backwards prop!

Note, too, that the top guys all went over to reverse-rotation about six years ago, and all the 2nd-tier guys followed.  Then the top guys found reasons that the good old counter-clockwise direction was better, and they've mostly gone back.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

mark romanowitz

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 01:56:08 PM »
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:30:45 PM by mark romanowitz »

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 07:56:15 AM »
Hi Mark

I have been flying reverse rotation (aka, pushers, CW, "lefty") props exclusively for the past 9 years.  My opinion is that if the ONLY thing electric had to offer vs IC was the ability to run reverse props then it would be game-set-match to electric.  Of course, as you have seen, electric has much more to offer than that.

Put another way: a couple weekends ago I took out the last IC airplane I built 10 years ago.  flies nice, engine runs nice. However I was reminded that one of the biggest reasons I will never build another IC ariplane (even the OTS) is that it is relegated to CCW props.

I have an old OS FS-40 4-stroke, the one that pre-dates the Surpass model.  OS made a reverse rotation camshaft for it, but it is exceedingly rare - especeially now.  If I could find one I would be tempted to put that engine in an OTS Super Zilch..!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 02:56:53 PM »
  Don't even think about reversing the battery leads -- that would be bad, in a smoky, maybe fiery, expensive sort of way.

A word to those new to electric.  Learn from the fools that went before you.  A Dean's connector will arc on a fresh battery if you try and plug it in backwards then weld itself to the poles and your wedding ring when you try pull it off.  Tower was able to get me a replacement ESC before the weekend so I will still be able to fly.

This is right up there with hitting the prop with your knuckle while adjusting the needle valve.

It all looks so innocent and small but remember, we run on 14v.  Your car runs on 12.  Think about it.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 04:40:04 PM »
A word to those new to electric.  Learn from the fools that went before you.  A Dean's connector will arc on a fresh battery if you try and plug it in backwards then weld itself to the poles and your wedding ring when you try pull it off.  Tower was able to get me a replacement ESC before the weekend so I will still be able to fly.

This is right up there with hitting the prop with your knuckle while adjusting the needle valve.

It all looks so innocent and small but remember, we run on 14v.  Your car runs on 12.  Think about it.

Ken

I’m trying to imagine how this happened. You are putting the female Deans on the battery, and the male end on the ESC aren’t you? And the red wires go to the top of the “T”.
My batteries, with the female end, have no exposed metal. I could rub my wedding ring all over the end of it without shorting it out. Not that I make a habit of that...
When I parallel charge I am very conscious of energized, exposed metal that could touch my ring. I try to keep them covered if not in use..
I saw a guy get burned when his ring shorted on an Army Jeep back in the late ‘70s. 24v will burn to the bone.
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 05:32:31 PM »
I’m trying to imagine how this happened. You are putting the female Deans on the battery, and the male end on the ESC aren’t you? And the red wires go to the top of the “T”.
My batteries, with the female end, have no exposed metal. I could rub my wedding ring all over the end of it without shorting it out. Not that I make a habit of that...
When I parallel charge I am very conscious of energized, exposed metal that could touch my ring. I try to keep them covered if not in use..
I saw a guy get burned when his ring shorted on an Army Jeep back in the late ‘70s. 24v will burn to the bone.
I got the ESC 2nd hand and it had a female deans connector (probably plugged into a kill plug in it's former life) so I had to make up a XT60 male to male Deans.  I uncoupled using the Deans.  When I went to plug it in I had it backwards and it arched when it got close.  I have no idea how the ring got into it, the whole episode was over in a couple of seconds accompanied by *(&)&&^*%&$ and a logging to Tower.

That is one lesson learned.  I am sure that there are other gotcha's awaiting me.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 06:18:05 AM »
I got the ESC 2nd hand and it had a female deans connector (probably plugged into a kill plug in it's former life) so I had to make up a XT60 male to male Deans.  I uncoupled using the Deans.  When I went to plug it in I had it backwards and it arched when it got close.  I have no idea how the ring got into it, the whole episode was over in a couple of seconds accompanied by *(&)&&^*%&$ and a logging to Tower.

That is one lesson learned.  I am sure that there are other gotcha's awaiting me.

Ken

That makes a little more sense. I’d be changing that connector ASAP. Any exposed prongs should be on the “cold” side.
Other styles of connectors (EC-5, XT-60) have both sides shielded and you’d have to work pretty hard to short them out. There seems to be a trend starting, moving away from Deans in favor of XT-60. I’m not there yet, but the writing is on the wall.
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 11:29:51 AM »
That makes a little more sense. I’d be changing that connector ASAP. Any exposed prongs should be on the “cold” side.
Other styles of connectors (EC-5, XT-60) have both sides shielded and you’d have to work pretty hard to short them out. There seems to be a trend starting, moving away from Deans in favor of XT-60. I’m not there yet, but the writing is on the wall.

Having read the wall, the new ESC IS getting XT60's. y1  There is a reason that most batteries have XT60's on them.   I replaced the roasted Deans on the old ESC with an XT60 but alas, even CPR couldn't revive it. :'(  Since the Castle link could still program it, something must have blown before it got to the processor.   Right now everything is on a profile to learn this new way of doing things but I think I am going to add a safety plug anyway. n1  MADE FROM AN XT60! LL~
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 10:16:31 PM »
Note, too, that the top guys all went over to reverse-rotation about six years ago, and all the 2nd-tier guys followed.  Then the top guys found reasons that the good old counter-clockwise direction was better, and they've mostly gone back.
I just converted my ARF Nobler and left the motor CCW.  Part of the reason was that there is not a CW prop over 9" at any LHS in Dallas and I can't find any spinners that do not require a credit check.  The other is that the plane was trimmed for a CCW engine.  After flying it I cannot feel much difference.  Other than having the torque working for you in upright level flight, what is the difference?  Why have the top guys gone back to CCW?

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 05:23:07 AM »
Tom Morris has pusher prop spinners with a built in 5mm prop adapter.  Works great on motors that require a 5mm prop adapter.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here