News:

• May 07, 2024, 11:58:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3 Blade APC Pusher Props  (Read 876 times)

Offline Tim Stagg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
3 Blade APC Pusher Props
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:50:20 AM »
Dennis,

Have you had any discussions with APC for a three blade pusher to substitute for the 13-4.5 two blade??

Not that I don't love the 2 blade, but it would be nice to have a little more ground clearance some times for a trike gear application.

Tim
Tim Stagg

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
Re: 3 Blade APC Pusher Props
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:24:01 AM »
I'm with you Tim. We need the 13 x 4.5 3B Pushers. 
Dennis - how about it? Could you talk to ACP?

Norm

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 07:31:21 PM »
Last time we discussed they said no and also noted the loss of effiecincy that occurs with 3 blades, suppose I could ask again.  What size you have in mind?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 08:14:35 PM »
12 x 6p and  12 x 4.5p  would be the sizes I'd look for.......but then again  - the 2 blade works so well, there is no point changing (except clearance of course)
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 08:18:19 AM »
Dennis, I agree with Wynn on the sizes.

But if there is a loss of efficiency, maybe we should just stick with the two blade.

It was just a thought.....maybe not a good one :-\
Tim Stagg

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
Dennis I would like to explore the full 13 x4.5 P.
If we go to a semi scale stunter such as a Al Rabe 51 I think a 3 blade 13 x 4.5 would be the ticket.  I had the privlege of flying John John Callentine's Rabe P51.  I flew faboulos with a PA 61 just think what it could do with an Electric turning a 3B 13 x 4.5 Pusher.
Of course you could always trim the 13" to less.
Norm

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:12:50 AM »
I agree. 13" dia would also cover 12".  I'm also thinking that because of the new thick hub design we should go for 5.5 not 4.5 pitch.

What say ye all?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 10:34:26 AM »
Works for me, I have cut down a bunch of the 13 4.5 size to what I want.
Tim Stagg

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 10:47:26 AM »
Uh! just read my last post, I must have been in stunt heaven fantasying about big props, and P51’s.  That’s my excuse for misspelling and additional words.  Well 13 x 5.5 3B would work for me.
Norm

Offline ptg

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 10:54:46 AM »
I'm also thinking that because of the new thick hub design we should go for 5.5 not 4.5 pitch.

What say ye all?

Posilutely, Absitively YES.  

The original 13 x 4.5 thin blade is pretty hard to beat (so far it's impossible) and the thicker ones just don't perform as well.
The 12 x 5.5 might be the perfect compromise.  Put me down for 12 if you decide to go that way.
PT Granderson

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 11:11:08 AM »
Guys,
I have worked with the MAS 11x7Pusher 3 Bald and the 9x7P 3Bald both work fine but are likely not as efficient as the APC would be. MAS has a 16, 13, and a 12 inch also (see Tower web site). For my use I heat repitch to 6" and adjust as needed from there. They repitch easy same as the AP C's and pull out of the corner very good and because of the 1" smaller diameter tend to turn a little faster than the larger 2 Bald. I noticed a little less windup resistance in the wind but still better than most IC setups. They load the motor as you would expect (you use 1" smaller diameter then a 2Bald) and generally up to the 12" diameter, the blade thickness is very thin and the prop weight is not bad. If you want to try a three blade pusher this is a good starting place. If we can get APC to do an 11" and 13" that would be outstanding.

Best,           DennisT

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 07:41:44 PM »
I agree. 13" dia would also cover 12".  I'm also thinking that because of the new thick hub design we should go for 5.5 not 4.5 pitch.

What say ye all?

Hi Dennis,
Yes, we want to go up on pitch. 5.5" sounds right to me.
This will absorb the power needed for big ships on long lines and turn at the right RPM (high 9's / very low 10's)  for a good compromise of both noise and braking.
The guys on 60' lines will not find it useful without repitching, but a 3-bladed 13" diameter will be for absorbing near 500Watts!

Regards, Compadre,
  Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 09:18:19 PM »
Yes, a 3 bladed 13" with a 5.5 pitch.  Actually a 12" dia would be great too with a 5.5 pitch.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 09:54:01 PM »
I agree a 12x5.5 EP would be just what the Dr. ordered. put me down for 12.  We might have the numbers that make a min. order!
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 05:30:33 PM »
Yes, I'll like a dozen 12x5.5 and a dozen 13x5.5, if they can make them.
Maybe we need a separate post for people that want to put in firm orders so that APC will make them for us.
I believe they need an order of 200, is that right?
Damn!!!....Now I'll need another lot of spinners from Tru-Turn... HB~>
Bandolero

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 06:30:16 PM »
Bad News & Good:

* APC is not willing to make an electric 3-blade.  This unchanged from what they told me in the past, only they were a little more adamant about it this time!

* APC suggested what could be a very good alternative.  They apparently developed a special prop for R/C Pattern Flyer Chip Hyde.  Chip was interested in good static thrust and good braking.  In his case they DID try 3-blades but they did not work well.  What did work was a new wide blade wide blade design.  Chip's using a 24" diameter, however APC proposed to applying the same design philosophy scaled to a 13" dia prop.

* This sounded like a viable alternative and I gave them the go-ahead for prototypes of a new 13x5.5E Pusher Wide Blade.  The new prop will be based on the 13x4.5 EP, with the blade profile widened - it is not a linear scale-up.  The pitch will be increased to 5.5".  That should make it a low 9000's RPM prop.

While this is not the 3-blade people were asking for it should have design elements that work in our favor:
* The 2-blade design will be more efficient than 3 blades.

* The wider blade fills up the disk area - mimicking what we achieve with a 3-blade design.

* 2-blade will be lighter than the 3-blade would have been.

* The new design taps into APC's design experience on the wide blade design for pattern props.  From checking their web site, APC makes a wide blade electric prop in 17" - 22"; the 24" prop they mentioned to me must be a new one.  I am hoping our RC Pattern & IMAC voices can check in on this point and affirm (or counter) whether the wide blade props have been a success for those folks.

* Finally, from a purely pragmatic point of view, APC is willing to make the 2-blade; they are not willing to make the 3-blade!

* The lead time on the prop will likely be in the fall, the prove-out samples later than that.  NOT what we wanted to hear but we are waiting in line behind several other APC projects.

Back in the IC engine days (!!!) lots of empirical data - and opinions - were generated on wide blade versus narrow blade props.  I suspect a lot of those rules will apply EXCEPT with a governed electric the braking effect for wide blades should be even more powerful.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here