News:

• April 18, 2024, 05:56:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New TruTurn "Turbo Cool" Spinners  (Read 853 times)

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
New TruTurn "Turbo Cool" Spinners
« on: June 23, 2011, 03:26:48 AM »
TruTurn “TURBO COOL” SPINNERS

GOOD NEWS FOR E-STUNT:

Several years ago I wrote an article suggesting that one of the solutions to our ECL motor cooling would be to cut inlet slots into the spinner then make the back-plate into a fan to direct cooling air directly into the motor.  We have had them available in large size CF spinners in RC for a few years now. I have been looking forward to the day that some mfg. would produce one for us in the small sizes we need in CLPA.  Well, that day has arrived.

TruTrun has just come out with the perfect solution to our motor cooling issues in the classic style  E-CLPA plane.  They call their new  E-spinners “Turbo Cool”. They have three slots cut into the spinner for air intake. They made the light weight back-plate into a FAN to force the incoming air directly into the motor for better cooling. Please see the photos at the bottom of this page.

MORE GOOD NEWS:

TruTurn has agreed to make these for us in a E-CLPA pusher version. They have always had the option for a pusher prop cutout, but they will also make the back-plate FAN in a REVERSE cut so the air flows in the correct direction for our pusher prop that still is FLYING FORWARD.  

EVEN MORE GOOD NEWS:  

It looks like Eric Rule, owner of RSM Distribution, will be adding these beautiful spinners to his comprehensive line of  ELECTRIC CL products. Please contact Eric for ordering and pricing info. They are so new they are not on his web site yet.

http://RSMDistribution.com/index-2.htm

As most of you know, Eric is a great guy who provides the CL community with excellent products and beautiful Laser cut CL kits. He has a new .15 size “Turn Key” E system for his great flying .15 size P-51 Kit. I think his price is under $200 for the entire RTF E power system, including the P-51 Kit!  This looks like a PERFECT way for someone to get into ECL at an “offer I can’t refuse” price.

TRU-TURN “TURBO COOL” PRICING

If you are very price sensitive and buy most of your E parts from Hobby King, please save your time and stop reading now, this product is probably not for you. Explained further in “Top Ten” at the end.

A 2” Std shape  TRACTOR PROP “Turbo Cool” spinner will cost about $50

Unless you can figure out some way to weld the Aluminum Spinner to your steel shaft (no Wiener jokes please), then you will need one of their perfectly made adaptor kits. These include everything you will need to attach your Spinner to your motor shaft. Just tell them your shaft size, and your prop size. Example:  5 mm shaft dia., and using an APC 12 x 6 EP prop. This adaptor kit will cost around $15. If it is a pusher they may add another $10 to cut a pusher prop slot. At a total cost of around $75 it is still an excellent deal, and worth every penny if you appreciate high quality products. These spinners are beautiful. They can be sanded/polished to look like chrome with a mirror finish. They are perfectly true and look great on any plane. I have over 20 of them from small 2” ones to 5” spinners. Some are over 25 years old and still look like new.

If you buy these REVERSE FAN spinners direct from the factory they will charge you an additional $45  for EACH spinner if you order less than 5 spinners at a time. This is due to the additional  setup time needed to make this non-standard reverse back plate. If you are ordering less than 5 at a time then I highly recommend ordering your spinner from RSM and avoid this $45 factory setup charge.

Ours are already on order, Will, Eric, and I should have our  Pusher ECL“Turbo Cool” spinners in hand very soon. Will has a 3” FAI style for his plane and Eric and I have several 2” Std. style spinners for ours. One of us will give you a flight review after we test them.  

EDITORIAL: …. CAUTION, Please read at your own risk!

PLEASE do not post to this topic with negative comments or ANY bashing of products, quality spinners, or ECL in general. Please don't tell me that you can make them much cheaper by carving them out of pine, etc. or buying them from some cheap knockoff place, etc. I really don't want to hear it. If you must bash then PLEASE start your own bashing topic in the OPEN section where we don’t have to read it. My skin is waaaaay too thin for CL already, this is why I promised myself I would never post anything here again, and why I stopped writing my E-stunt column in SN. I'm doing this now against my better judgement, please don't make me regret it. I only posted this for the many nice guys in ECL on this section of SH. The guys that want to move forward and appreciate quality products. ..... Please, I beg of you negative guys, at least for this one time, please hold your bashing. PLEASE: NO NEGATIVE POSTS! Like our grandmothers taught us: “If you don’t’ have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all”.

If any of the below fits you, then please don’t reply to this post.

TOP TEN REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD “NOT” REPLY TO THIS TOPIC

# 10  If the air on your planet flows from low pressure to high pressure!

# 9    If you are a member of the  BOM “FLAT KIT SOCIETY” (a subset of the “FLAT EARTH SOCIETY”)

# 8   If you are sitting on your porch in the hills of W. VA and you are on your 2nd jug of moonshine.

# 7   If you don’t believe in magnetism or evolution.

#  6  If you dream of going back to 1958, and think it was the “good old days”

#  5  If  you think we should all grow our own balsa trees to qualify for APs.

# 4  If you have ever protested someone for using E power in CLPA.

#  3.  If you still think that E power should be banned from CLPA

#  2   If you don’t know that Jim Walker, (co inventor of CL, the guy who the Walker Cup is named for) stated that ARFs were the best thing for the future of CL (said in the 1950s)

#  1   If you still think that the FELON fox is the pinnacle of CLPA power systems!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:10:48 AM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: New TruTurn "Turbo Cool" Spinners
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:45:28 AM »

Thank you for the info!!!!!! I will be ordering one as these are exactly what we need!!!!!!
AMA 98010

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 01:27:09 PM »
Rudy,

I saw these advertised 3 days after I ordered a custom reverse cut Tru Turn spinner with all of the E collect options for my Tsunami (Darn). It cost me 87.00 including shipping, but it is very very nice. I will order one of the turbo cool for my next plane.

My father always told me you will never ever be sorry you bought quality !!

Tim
Tim Stagg

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 02:45:51 PM »
AWESOME news - will be getting some for sure!!!!!

Can ECL get ANY better???  looks like it is  HA
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 05:26:14 PM »
Gee, thanks Rudy!!
Just what I needed....spend more money!!....hahahaha

I'll be ordering a couple.
Thanks for letting us know about these latest spinners from Tru-Turn.
I've been using Tru-Turn spinners for a while and highly recommend them.  ;D
Bandolero

Offline Will Moore

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 08:25:15 PM »
Rudy;

Thank you for all your hard work in getting this developed.  I remember in the "early " days ( about 6 years ago)  you

gave me the talking count down digital stop watch.  I still have it and still use it, and it reminds me of your kindness

to me, when electric was questioned.   Your latest and last e-flight Stunt News column should go up as a permanent

post on this electric forum. ( Dean Pappas, how 'bout it) .  It was exhaustively researched and accurate, invaluably informative, and one of, if not

the best written, bit of information I have ever read on electric facts everyone should know. 

I consider you among the Pioneers of electric flight !   Not many know this, and I hope you don't mind me mentioning it, but you were

among the pilots who were active in Viet Nam, flying F4 Phantom fighters.  I know how hard that was for you.  I was there as well as part of

a support group, in aircraft radio repair.  You made sacrifices you don't talk about. You put your life on the line in so many ways,

so people here could have freeness of speech and bash you. 

I know you have deep feelings for this hobby and I think most of us feel that you  have added much to enhance it.

Thank you again, Rudy.   You are my friend,  always !
Things take longer to happen than you think they will,

Then they happen much faster than you thought they could.
 AMA # 209

Advertise Here
Tags: Spinners 

Advertise Here