News:

• May 20, 2024, 11:52:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New timer available  (Read 623 times)

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
New timer available
« on: August 08, 2011, 01:03:32 AM »
I'll have to post it in 3 parts as they are large photos.
It is an article that was in July's Aeromodeller.
Bandolero

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
Re: New timer available
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 01:04:40 AM »
Next one...
Bandolero

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 01:07:44 AM »
And the last, with link.....
http://www.clacro.de/Seite_timer.htm

Bandolero

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 01:44:04 AM »
 ;D

... funny ... we fly 4 years with active regulation and now I see "no one used it till now succesfully on F2B circle" ... we probably use in in speed circle :- )))))))))))))))))))))

I know (beside me) another source of such thing - in use for example by Jiri Vejmola (2 years) ... so now I count minimaly 2 sucessful solutions

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 09:20:35 AM »
I met Wolfgang and saw his timer work already in 2008 at a competition in Germany, so it's not really a new timer. The link on Claus Makis' website was there even before 2008. Wolfgang is a really nice guy and clever electronics person as well.

The subject of trying to simulate a system similar to a 2/4 break engine system has been debated many times on this forum, so I will not get into this again. Accelerometer chips have been used many ways, and like Igor says they have been experimenting with them for the last few years. All of these ideas have some or other flaw in them, (like most things in stunt!) so for the majority right now, the solid constant rpm of a good governor is a very good way to fly stunt.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 09:38:48 AM »
Exactly, I know and tried 3 different systems, all of them work to some extent, but most important is, that it must be well tuned, if not, it is far worse than constant rpm  ;D
... I wrote it already, the fun with electric power train did not start yet ... or better ... just starting :- )))))))))) ... fiddling like with tuned pipes length will start soon :- ))))

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 04:22:01 PM »
Yes, this is why I posted it. I wanted to see if I was the only one that thought it is not worth the trouble. I like the idea of constant RPM and speed. That's why electric is so good.
I remember when I flew IC, some of us wanted a constant "4-stroke" through the pattern. You need a powerful motor and reasonably light model to do it. Electrics now give this constant RPMs.  (It's great!) ☺
Bandolero

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 08:30:30 AM »
It is, but sometimes it is not enough ... for example light model with little mass inertia can benefit on such regulation, it is visible in extreme on indoors:

This is old video and probably everyone saw it already, but I wanted to show, that even even with such regulation, shapes are still not good, for exaple in loops, they are not perfect circles, they are tilted elipses, it will need even stronger regulation, also speed on top of low figures is low, while speed overhead is already OK :- ))))

and here you can see my actual regulator in action ... still not perfect (I must solve short power boost in corners during winter) ... but it is already clear, real fun with electric only starts now ... fiddling like with pipe length, nitro content etc will come also to electric, and we will need modern electric "tuners" :- ))))))))))))))))))))

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 09:09:12 AM »
Guys,
Seems that the advantage that a constant RPM setting in electric is that as the load is increased (through a corner) the motor is constantly adding power, there is no delay. One thing we can play with is the "gain" to get a little overshoot would be nice for a harder corner to get that little extra kick particularly if you are flying the "forward CG" (<15% MAC) that seems to work really well for ECL.

What factors influence how much "gain" we can add and how do you know when you have gone to far?

Best,           DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here