News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:49:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New small electric twin build thread  (Read 12837 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: New small electric twin build thread
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2021, 10:40:10 AM »
Page,
Nice job, could you give a brief summary of the vail/Titebond method you use to attach the vail to the foam. Was it easer to stick down with the Titebond then with Nitra? How much weight did the Titebond add?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Page Peterson

• 24 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2021, 06:51:34 PM »
I did it the same way Bob outlines in this thread. Adding veil is very easy with thinned down Titebond. The wing is small. The area without flaps is 425. Covering added 35 grams to the wing.

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2021, 10:15:00 PM »
I had a chance to see Page's plane in person today.  Very nicely done!  It flies really well.  Page did a great job building this plane and the wiring is cleanly routed.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2022, 06:04:11 AM »
Well it's been a while since I focused on finishing up this small test bed electric twin. The spirit hit me this past week and I made a lot of progress on it.

I'm posting some photos here of the Double Take just before the nacelles are attached. Actually the model is mounted to the nacelles, not the other way around. The nacelles are assembled on a fixture and are in the proper location relative to each other. The fixtures hold the nacelles above the layout table (a piece of 2 pound foam in this case). The model gets mounted to the nacelles and is lined up to insure that the center lines of the nacelles are in line with the center line of the airframe. The skew is also aligned at this point, and when everything is perfectly aligned, the nacelles are glued to the wing. There are hard points in the wing core onto which the nacelles rest. The aft end of the nacelles also extend past the basswood surface spars on the top and bottom for added strength.

The Double Take will be powered by two E-Flite Park 450 motors. It has a wing area of 538 square inches (with flaps installed...), and the projected weight all up will be around 40 to 45 ounces.

I'll keep you all informed as this project proceeds. It's on the fast track now...

Later - Bob Hunt

« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 10:25:03 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2022, 06:12:54 AM »
Here's one more photo of the assembly...

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2022, 09:12:11 AM »
Outstanding!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2022, 02:38:54 PM »
Here's one more photo of the assembly...
I love your work.  Every one of your designs from the Genesis on. H^^

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2022, 02:55:05 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the comments Crist and Ken!

The actual fuselage shapes on the Double Take were stolen from my Wildfire design (see attached photo). I like the jet-like canopy treatment because it makes it easy to hide the hatch lines with a painted-on canopy design. It also makes tricycle gear look better. Hey, most jets (with the possible exception of a British design or two) have/had tricycle gear. I've received much higher takeoff and landing scores with trike gear than I have with taildragger type gear. Yes, it is a bit heavier, but not so much as to make it a detriment.

The jet-style look also lends itself to having a jet exhaust hole at the rear of the plane. I "Swiss Cheese" the formers in my top and bottom fuselage shells and that allows the cooling air that comes in the front to be sucked through the fuselage and out the back. The air rushing past the opening in the back causes a low pressure area at the point and the hot air is scavenged very neatly.

I'll be adding faux gear doors around the front LG leg, and between those doors will be a ramp that scoops the cool air into the battery compartment. So, a jet-style fuselage aesthetic is also a very practical one! Check these faux doors out on the Wildfire photos below; the ones on the Double Take will look the same.

Later - Bob

« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 03:17:57 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2022, 04:41:08 AM »
Here's a photo that shows the simulated gear doors to better effect. If you look close you will see the "ramp" between the doors that scoops the air up and into the battery compartment.

I'm attaching another photo of a "Swiss Cheesed" molded top shell. This allows the air from the battery compartment to flow through the fuselage and be scavenged at the back of the plane through a simulated jet exhaust.

Later - Bob

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here