Electric Stunt > Gettin all AMP'ed up!

New small electric twin build thread

(1/22) > >>

Bob Hunt:
A few years ago I designed a twin electric Stunt model that has a 530 square inch wing, a built-up fuselage, and profile nacelles. It was much the same in aesthetics as my big test bed twin, but with no retracts. It was reasoned that a small electric twin might be attractive to those who might wish to try an electric twin Stunt model, but with much reduced building time and much reduced cost. As for overall size, think of a Nobler with a longer tail moment.

As with the original big test bed twin, the smaller ship (name will either be "Double Take" or "Two Small") features a "Lost-Sheeting" wing. That's the name I gave to my adaptation of the Combat world's treatment of foam cores. They cover them with a low-temp plastic material, while I chose to apply .2 carbon mat using water thinned Titebond II glue. In either case the strength of the wing mainly comes from two imbedded 1/8 x 3/8-inch basswood spars - one on top and one on the bottom - that run full span and have a couple of 1/8-inch balsa shear webs installed between them. The basswood spars are glued into a slot in the top and bottom of the foam panels and are also glued to the shear webs, preventing "racking." This yields an incredibly strong wing at very low cost and very little building/assembly time.

The new small twin will be powered by E-Flite Park 450 motors (with the option to go to Park 480 motors if needed).
My question is: Would the readers/contributors here be interested in a photo essay of the build, and if so would they also be interested in plans and foam parts for this model?

Thanks - Bob

PS: Attached are a couple of photos of the original big twin test bed for reference as to what the new small twin will look like, and also a couple of photos of the Lost-Sheeting wing construction on one of the Joe Nall Cadets. - Bob

Craig Beswick:
Yes.

Craig

Brent Williams:
Oh yeah Bob! 
(But you already knew I would be very interested!)

Dennis Nunes:
Yes Bob, I would be very interested! As our good friend Jim Aron (aka Uncle Jimby) would say, "Twins are cool"!  ;D ;D ;D

Dennis

Dennis Toth:
Bob,
What is the motor/ESC/Timer/Battery set up for this ship? For the ESC how is it sized for amps?

Best,   DennisT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version