News:

• May 05, 2024, 08:18:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New RSM Turn Key E-Power System  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
New RSM Turn Key E-Power System
« on: June 29, 2009, 03:01:36 PM »
Looks like RSM is now offering their "turn-key" system...

http://www.rsmdistribution.com/index-2.htm
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Alan Hahn

Re: New RSM Turn Key E-Power System
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 04:00:25 PM »
I approve of their default prop choice! ;D

Humor aside, it looks like a sensible combo of components. I'm not sure if they have a target airframe (or I just didn't notice it).

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 06:33:31 PM »
anyone have experience or comments on the hacker brand?   
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 07:40:36 PM »
anyone have experience or comments on the hacker brand?  

I don't have personal experience, but I understand (from internet forums) that it is a reputable brand---e.g. the manufacturer's kV's are nominally correct and the motor components are good quality.

My main question is the airframe that the system is targeted towards. I think it is a little oversized 9(weight-wise) for Nobler-sized planes or smaller, but for larger planes (classic 46 or so) it probably is just fine. Others who have more experience with larger planes might be able to chime in here!

I wonder how it would go in a full-sized Shark! I am looking fondly at a  RSM Shark 35 for my type of setup.

Offline andreas johansson

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 02:46:44 AM »
I approve of their default prop choice! ;D

Me too  ;D

Hacker is a very high quality German brand of electric motors. They are pretty common in electric F3A.

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 06:35:38 AM »
The only question mark I see is their ESC - and that only because I have not heard of anyone using it in ECL.  Hacker makes quality stuff - I'm sure its fine.

My SWAG is that the system looks like a 45 sized equivalent.  Should be fine in a Shark 45, or most of the large RSM kits.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 09:12:01 AM »
I kind of wonder that they state that the Will Hubin timer is set for 6 min 20 seconds. The Hubin timers I have dealt with can be varied via a micro pot from around 2 min up to 6+ min. I know the Z-tron timer can be set for various times. Maybe they are just stating the maximum time available for the Hubin timer. The package price does not seem out of line for quality components and a charger. One will still have to obtain a power supply to use the charger on the bench.

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 06:52:21 PM »
From my experience, with electric carrier and the people at my flying site that have electric stunters,  this looks like a reasonable setup. It's interesting that someone is finally selling a "stock" system. Should make it easier for people who have not used electrics to get started.

Just a random comment but I don't see an arming plug. With this sized system I don't think I would fly without one. There is enough power here to be a problem if it starts unannounced. Arming plugs just make things easy and much safer.

Everything I have heard about Hacker products has been positive. They are well established and reliable.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 08:31:52 AM »

Just a random comment but I don't see an arming plug. With this sized system I don't think I would fly without one. There is enough power here to be a problem if it starts unannounced. Arming plugs just make things easy and much safer.

Bob

Yup!  Especially important with internal batteries...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 09:07:22 AM »
I worked with Eric Rule to provide a custom timer for this "turnkey" electric propulsion option, starting with his choice of the Hacker motor and Hacker ESC and prop. Initially, looking for the simplest and most user-friendly system, he suggested a timer that would only use 9100 RPM as the governed RPM for a fixed flight time of 6:20. We ended with a custom timer that can be adjusted (via two onboard pots) from 9100 to about 9900 RPM and for flight times from 2:05 to 6:20. Because I measured the (switching) BEC voltage from the Hacker ESC to be slightly greater than the power supply of 5.5 volts specified for my microcontroller (see previous thread), I customized the timer to include a dropping diode.

Eric didn't include an arming plug, which I recommend. However, all the timers I supply have the start button remoted so that they can be mounted  on the outside of a fuselage airplane. The motor can't start until the ESC has received a few seconds of throttle "off" pulses (1.0 ms) from the timer, and then not until the start button is pushed.

As usual for my timers, the RPM can be adjusted during the first minute of "flight" time, the motor can be stopped at any time with another push on the "start" button, and the voltage to the ESC goes from the throttle "off" pulse width to zero volts some 30 seconds after the flight has ended, to make a restart impossible.

To make the simplest timer, the timer blips the motor a second after the start button is pushed (to confirm that timing has begun) and then waits 30 seconds to begin the flight time/flight RPM. To keep it simple, the RPM pot is preset for 9100 when fully counterclockwise and the flight time is 6:20 when the TIME pot is fully clockwise.

I have bench tested the combination but haven't yet installed it in an airplane.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 09:17:16 AM »
I know the manufacturer's desire to make a turn-key electric system is well-meant, I think that in the end it can limit the system a lot.

That is an issue with the Brodak setup (mainly the timer/esc)--which worked fine for the SuperClown, but really couldn't be changed to use in other setups.

I am glad the RSM system can be adjusted to suit the flyers needs. For example, my entire flying time is 5 minutes--that leaves 5-6 laps at the end of the clover (my lap speed is 5.0 s ). Even if you are flying 5.5 s laps, that would mean you need something around 5 1/2 minutes (+- 10s or so). So as long as you can adjust it to save those hard working electrons, you are ok!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 09:23:18 AM »
The Hacker Brand was reccomended to me personally by a gent that flies a great deal of RC. This size is a slightly stronger level of performance than the AXI 28/26. Rob, my pal, states that these motors are generally underrated for ability to draw current and are very trouble free. I have two, one is the 10XL and the other is the 8XL, with a higher KV rating. My plan is to have a 640 inch airframe built, well it was supposed to be built last winter, alas, as these things go it isnt done yet but it will be soon?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 06:21:43 PM »
I'm sure the motor is a slam-dunk.  Does anyone know anything about the Hacker ESC?  For starters, if they are relying on the timer for the RPM seting, then it must not have a Castle stuyle Set RPM mode...  (not that its a job stopper)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here