News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:05:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Rides  (Read 6112 times)

Offline Alan Resinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
New Rides
« on: February 26, 2016, 08:01:38 AM »
After building Bob Hunt Crossfires for the past 4 years, Chris Cox and I decided a change was needed.  After visiting the "Walker Stunt Ranch" last May we both decided that Paul's Predator design was in both our futures.  Chris changes the look of his to mimic his Defiant design from the late 90s.  I took a little different track with my new Divergent.  Chris went back to fuselage mounted LG while I modified a Yatchenko removable wing gear assembly with my own carbon fiber gear legs.  Both models use Igor's active timer and Jeti Spin 66 ESC.  Batteries are Thunder Power 6S 2700.
Chris plans to use a Plettenburg motor while I plan on using the AXI 2826/13D.  We had both uses the Cobra 3520 motor the past 2 years. 
Here are a few pictures.
Alan Resinger

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
Re: New Rides
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 09:46:54 AM »
Where do you guys come up with these paint jobs? They're beautiful, just beautiful.
Bob

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 10:48:28 AM »
Ditto!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 10:51:18 AM »
What is that in the last picture? Tape?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 11:29:02 AM »
Both planes are gorgeous.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 02:09:56 PM »
Randy,
Tape?????????  What are you talking about.

About paint schemes.  I guess my mind just works like that.  I'm already thinking about the next plane.  I start with a theme and just barnstorm from there.  I suppose I'm am blessed in that way.  Powell has the same thing.  He goes off on a tangent more than I do.  I'm the sane one.
Alan

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 02:46:25 PM »
They won't let me touch them - oily finger prints, you know.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 05:05:20 PM »
What is that in the last picture? Tape?
Hey Randy,, I think you are seeing the shine,,
its really shiney, and the reflection might be what your thinking is tape?

They both look really nice,, mine arent shiney yet, ,heck they arent airplanes yet, ,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 08:31:12 PM »
Yea, it was just the initial view looked like it had tape on it. A closer looks reveals just a really shiny surface.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 10:00:43 PM »
Hi Alan & Chris,
Congrats on your gorgeous new planes! Your models just get better and better! Please post some details about the finish especially the clear coat. Then of course the all-up weight and how they fly. Thanks.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 07:20:13 AM »
Hi Keith,
Both models are finished Randolph and Certified dopes.  Open bay wings are covered with carbon veil on sheeted surfaces and with Polyspan on the open bay portions.  This is applied with either Randolph butyrate or Nitrate, depending on what we have in our stock.  Nitrate seems to adhere the carbon and polyspan a little better.  After heat shrinking the Polyspan, a couple coats of Sig Supercoat (tautening butyrate) are applied to the open bays.  From then on Randolph non-tautening is used in the build-up of the substrate.  All colors are either stock Randolph or acrylic pigments from the auto paint store mixed with Randolph clear.  
Last October when I was down at the Golden State contest in Madera, California, my old buddy Gord Delaney and I were talking finishing and I was complaining about Randolph clear yellowing after spending a season out in the sun.  He suggested that I try using Certified non tautening clear for the clear coats.  Chris and I bought a gallon and I am completely sold on it.  From now on I will only use Certified for all my clear dope needs.  Dries faster, harder and actually lays on better with the spray gun.  A little more expensive than Randolph but is a lot higher in solids.  Comes out of the can like honey so it requires significant thinning for our needs.  In short, we had to thin about 75% thinner to paint so a gallon goes a long way.  People are always asking about what thinner to use on dope.  We are lucky here in Canada, as Home Depot here in the Great White North, carries a Canadian made lacquer thinner that works with all kinds of dope and costs a lot less than half of what Randolph thinner does.
My model has been in the air.  I took it out one day this week and flew 2 short 1.5 minute flights to check lap time and make sure wings were level, tip weight was about right, CG was close and how it turned.  I put in a fresh battery and changed the timer to 5:20 flight time and flew the full pattern on it's first full flight.  It flies great and is really close to being ready for contest work.  Weights are a little high for us. We were both hoping to be around 66-67 oz but with the take apart structures, we are both in the high 60oz range.  I am already starting a new stab/elev. assembly to reduce weight in the tail so I can use the 1oz. lighter AXI motor.  I figure I can reduce overall weight by about 2oz. which would make me happy.  Chris is also thinking a new tail on his and it hasn't been in the air yet.
Alan
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:20:56 PM by Alan Resinger »

Offline Gus Urtubey

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 10:38:34 PM »
They both look amazing !!!!

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 11:30:24 PM »
Hi Alan,
Thanks very much for those details on the finish. Out here in Darkest Africa, nobody sells Randolph paints, so I have to guess as to what they are. We do get Duco or lacquer based auto point, and I mostly use standard clear lacquer for nitrate dope, or even hardware store sanding sealer for raw balsa. It's that wonderful gloss or shine on your models that really impresses me. I could get that only by using clear 2K polyurethane which was also such a good fuel proofer as well. I don't like the toxic 2K paint at all and of course with e-power we no longer need a fuel proofing coat. I've had no luck with clear lacquer staying shiny, so maybe it's all in the initial finishing process that must be perfect right from the start. I've also been told to try some water-based clear acrylic or enamel paint so I guess that there are newer paints to experiment with.

Thanks again for the info and please keep us posted as to the performance.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 05:53:04 PM »
Those are some spectacular looking planes!
Two questions for Alan-
1. Is the Divergent a high aspect ration wing, it looks it, but maybe that is just the camera angle.
2. Anything not to like about the Cobra 3520's? (Why the change)

Thanks in advance and congrats on the new rides.

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 07:10:12 AM »
Chris,
The design uses Paul's "Predator" wing, tail and moments.
As for the Cobra 3520, I've used it the past two seasons and have nothing but good things to say about it.  With front mounting the bearing life has been really outstanding.  Both last years and the year before my motors had close to 300 flights before I changed bearings.  It was actually done for insurance before going to the Golden State Championships in mid October.  The reason for the change to the AXI is the 1 oz. lighter weight.
Alan

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 08:24:05 AM »
Thanks Alan.
I was just curious if you found some negative point for the Cobra motors. Sounds like you're just looking for an overall lighter aircraft maybe. I'd assume that a 1oz lighter motor could mean a 2oz lighter tail, so a minimum of 3oz saved.
Thank you for taking the time to answer.
Vr,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 10:05:08 AM »
Chris,
The design uses Paul's "Predator" wing, tail and moments.
Both birds look great..    

Has PW published or released  the Predator plan ?
Also, where are you buying the Certified dope products ?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 10:30:51 AM by Allan Perret »
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 06:16:08 AM »
Allan,
Paul doesn't have a plan set as far as I know.  The Predator is just an improved version on the Impact.  Slightly different moments, stab/elev. assy. and fuselage shape.  If you drop him an email, I'm sure he'll give you details.  Right now he is real busy getting ready for the trip to Australia.  He's been flying quite a bit even with some less than favorable weather.
We get Certified Clear from Aircraft Spruce.
Alan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here