News:

• April 30, 2024, 04:26:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New prop coming  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Alan Resinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
New prop coming
« on: May 03, 2014, 08:32:44 AM »
Last year Chris Cox and I came up with four different CF 3B props aimed at the competitive "Electric" flyers.  We made 2 different 11" props in RH rotation and both an 11" and a 12" in LH rotation.  The props have proven to be pretty popular even though we didn't really get them into production until September for all the 11" and mid October for the 12" LH.  Since we competed at the Golden State Championships we've sent props all over including Europe, Scandinavia, South America and Australia.  Joe Parisi won the Australian Nats in December using our LH 11" (green prop).   
Time marches on and over the winter between building duties I began thinking about making another prop 12" prop that could also be used by IC flyers.  I had other motives in mind, as a clockwise flyer, I wanted a 12" RH prop for my own use.  Watching Chris fly with the 12" LH prop made me jealous.  I thought the quality of his corners were superior to mine and his overhead line tension better.
I took a different approach to making the prop this time.  Rather than carving the entire master prop, this time I carved a single blade and then made a mould of that blade and had Chris lay up several copies.  I then assembled them into a complete prop and will make a mould of that master starting in the next few days.  This should yield a superior prop as all the blades will be identical as they all came from the same mould.  With any luck I'll be testing the new prop in 10 days to 2 weeks so I should have some ready by the time the Northwest Regionals rolls around.  I took the master prop to Portland to show to Mr. Walker as he also uses a RH prop.  He is interested in getting his hands on some to try.  There is no reason that this new prop wouldn't work well on IC motors also.  The pitch is set at 5.5".  Spoiler alert.  If the props works as I assume it will, I'll probably rework our 12" LH prop to match. I've made some subtle modifications to the shape, blade thickness and airfoil on the new prop after all testing we've done with the existing props. 
Alan Resinger   

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
Re: New prop coming
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 09:26:46 AM »
For those.of.us that are dysphexic. RH/LH--- CW/CCW?
Joe Daly

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 09:38:28 AM »
Where might us East Coast flyers be able to obtain the props you speak of? And what kind of cash outlay could we expect?
Bob

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 09:46:11 AM »
Bob,
All of our props are available directly from us.  Just drop me an e-mail.  All props are $50 US plus $5 each for postage.  We do take Paypal.
Alan
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 11:44:56 AM by Alan Resinger »

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 10:17:46 AM »
Last week I flew my first Resinger/Cox prop. After just a few laps and a couple of loops I called out to Buddy Wieder that this was going to be my new hobby! Truly, the prop made that much of a difference. It pulled through the maneuvers extremely well and gave constant tension. There was no noticible speedup on the down sides of the maneuvers and the overhead tension was fantastic. The most amazing thing to me was that, while we were flying in some moderate turbulence, the prop made it feel like ideal "runway" conditions. I forgot about the turbulence and just flew geometry! This is by far the best electric prop I've tried to date. It was the 12 x 6 pusher variant. I came home and ordered three more of them!

Later - Bob Hunt    

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 08:16:20 AM »
I just charged one of the batteries that I used when I flew the 12 x 6 P 3-blade. In the past with a 12 x 6 2-blade APC EP prop I was using nominally 2,000 mAh per flight (Around 1,800 mAh on windy days and 2100 on hot clam days). I put back 2,358 after a flight on the new Resinger/Cox 3-blade. That's not bad!  #^

Later - Bob

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 10:13:13 AM »
Hi Bob, thanks for the kind words regarding our 12 x 6 prop.  I am currently using the same 12" prop, but cut down to 11.5".   I also have one cut to 11.3" that works equally well.  The longer props seems to handle wind and overhead tension slightly better, and shorter ones really bring the corner alive!

I am a little surprised by the mah you used, as I generally only use between 1800 and 2000.  Alan uses a bit more, but we have decided it must be due to Coriolis Effect (he flies clockwise)  LL~

I suspect the reason for the added mah is due to the 4S batteries you use and possibly the motor (EFlite 25?), vs. the 5S Alan and I use.  Would be interesting to hear from others who are using the prop.

Cheers

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 10:19:18 AM »
FWIW - I just reviewed my data log, and I did use higher mah with the full 12" prop.  2150 mah. The shorter prop seems to use a bit less, but the real factor seems to be wind and air temperature, as referenced by Bob.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 03:24:24 PM »
Chris,
Sounds like a great prop, are they wide blade or narrow blade design? Seems the narrow blades use less mah, also the tip design seems to have an impact on mah use and line tension. Square tips use more mah but have better up top line tension. I have always found that when I cut the tips I lose some efficiency and use more mah. What is the weight of the 12" 3b?

Best,      DennisT

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 07:50:31 PM »
Hello Dennis

The blade is more narrow than wide, although I have used narrower with my 40VF (Bill Lee made a dynamite 3 blade prop, narrow blade).  I haven't done a lot of experimenting with the tip shape, but will most definitely try several different shapes to see for myself how performance is affected.

The 12" weighs 30.4 grams.  The 11.3" weighs 28.0 grams.  The new props Alan and I are working on will be a bit lighter as we have modified the hub and thinned the blades somewhat.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the new 12" 3b come in around 27 grams.  FYI for those wondering that means in ounces, 1 ounce equals approximately 28.3 grams.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 02:47:54 AM »
we've sent props all over including Europe, Scandinavia, South America and Australia.   

I also got some of them for tests. I did not have time since autum and winter, but lately I did few tests with several props and I can say that the 11x5.5 CW prop (tractor) looks and works identical to old Mejzlik props which I flew in 2011 and 2012. Feeling was the same and also mAh was the same. First picture shows it - the right shiny is old Mejzlik 11x5.5

CCW prop did not work well WITH MY SETUP because I use 6 cells battery on AXI 2826/13 and looks like that prop from second picture has pitch aproximately 6" (am I right Alan?) and it was too much for 6 cells and my ESC overheated as it was throttled too back. Plus my model is trimmed for CW prop (tractor) but it pulls like expected so in my eyes everything OK, just not for my model . it will probably work well with 5 cells, but noone here around has such setup, so sorry, not tested in proper conditions.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 07:17:47 AM »
Hi Igor,
The left hand prop you have is the early 11" prop.  The pitch was just under 6".  Later last year, ( late October ) we finished up the newer 12" LH.  It has seemed to work really well for a lot of flyers and is the one Bob Hunt was referring to.  I poured half of the mould for the new 12 RH prop yesterday and will prepare it for the second half of the mould making tomorrow.  I should have it ready for laying up props by the end of the week.
Are you and Alex still using the Mejzlik prop? 
Alan 

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 02:47:05 AM »
No, I think Mejzlik props are discontinued, we have 2 new props, the first is almost identical to that Mejzlik, but it has improved airfoil, and it has lower pitch. It all together makes that prop run at higher rpm at aproximately the same consumption and little better RE number, makes higher static thrust (what gives better speed stability after corners) but especially we follow recomendation of guy from AXI which tells us to keep away from RPM 9500-10000 where is resonantion frequency of AXI 2826 rotor. And looks like it works, because since I fly them, I did not change bearing on my ONE AXI. I am not sure how many flights it survived but it is 2 years, so must be LOT :- ))) .. I see only small axial free play, but motor runs very smooth at aproximately 11 to 12 000

And newly I got even newer prop with limited moment inertia, but it is not well tested yet, but looks promising.

Regarding 12" props, yes we have also 12x5.5 carbon and I also (and also Alex) also Havran 12"x5.1 wood props (I think Richie K. flies them) both are on picture, but in my eyes it is overkill, 11" prop works much better in wind especially in figures where model flies against the wind like hourglass, vertical eight and 4 leaf, and also allows tighter corners. But I note I am speaking about MY model, it could be different on another model.

And regarding LH props (pushers), I believe RH is more compatible with models we fly (flying left with LG down and wing under thrust line). May be I would think about it on inliners.

So my conclusion - if I have to chosse from your props, it will be definitelly that your 11x5.5 :- ))))))) ... once again - for my model and its setup with 6 cells.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 06:04:05 PM »
Speaking of Cox, we always only carved one blade and then duplicated it. Of course we had the privilege of carving it at 4x size and pantographing it down as the mold was cut. Now, we would draw a blade in 3D cad and simply form an array of however many blades we wanted.  Life goes on....

I only ever designed/carved the master for one prop, and it was intended to be simply horrible for lift to drag. Sigh...  The purpose was to allow .049 engines to be used on .020 size airplanes. The .049s were cheaper, more reliable and higher production numbers than the .020s. It functioned as indented and heaven help anyone who tried to use it where they needed power!  LL~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 08:10:36 PM »
The RH 12" "Mark II" Blue prop is cooking in the oven!  Stay tuned...

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 07:10:10 AM »
The Mark II (blue prop) 12' X 6" RH 3B is undergoing testing.  I've already decided that it is my favorite prop.  Level flight tracking is much better than with the 11" X 5.5" I've been using since last year.  I still have a problem with battery usage and will probably design around going to a 6S battery next year.  I routinely use slightly more than 80% capacity of my TP 5S 2700 batteries.  I also find the corners to be better and improved overhead line tension.  I took one of the new props and have cut it down to 11.3" diameter to see if that improves the battery usage.  Will test either today or tomorrow as I need some practice for the Northwest Stunt Championships (Northwest Regionals replacement) in a little less than 2 weeks.
Alan Resinger     

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here