News:

• June 03, 2024, 04:07:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New kid on the block  (Read 794 times)

Offline Roger Anderson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
New kid on the block
« on: May 16, 2010, 08:47:14 PM »
OK guys, the last of us three Anderson  brothers went electric today.  Gary Anderson installed a Turnigy 35-48 900 KV motor, Castle ICE-50 ESC, Hubin F-2a timer with a 4000 mah, 20 C, 5 S battery in his Stiletto and went flying.  His plane flew great and I think he was quite happy with the performance.  He has been struggling with nitro engines in this plane that he just could not get to run well or consistantly.  That airplane really flies well as an electric stunter.  Cudos Gary!  Welcome to the wonderful world of electric control line flyiing.  We actually had more electric powered planes at the field today than nitro powered flyers.

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Roger Anderson

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: New kid on the block
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 03:23:51 PM »
Hmmm, I seem to remember seeing Gary's posts on the Stilleto - a good looking bird.  Sorry to hear he had problems with the greaser power, but on the other hand THOSE problems are behind him now!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:34:12 AM »
Hi guys,

Roger is correct the plane flies better, more constant, a lot quieter. The only thing that sticks out is a item that looks like a door bell. Push the door bell and it makes a sound like music, the prop whirls around for a second, stops, then you have to walk out to the handle, stand there looking, like me, then the prop starts whirling and away ya go. You wouldn't believe that the little electric job pulls harder than any of the fuel powered engines I've had in the Stiletto. Roger checked the rpm's after my first complete flight and it looked like the rpm's were straight as an arrow across the screen on the computer. Tomorrow I'm going to just push the door bell wait for an answer and fly the pants off of the Stiletto and by the way, Mr. Les McDonald's design flies better than anything I ever owned but don't tell Les I don't want him to get to big of a head, ha ha. I think Les is as old as I am and my brother is older than dirt!!!!! Roger thanks for all your help and all your parts, Gary ( I didn't have to change much, just made a mount out of metal in place of my fuel engines. I'll try and post some pictures, just to give ya a laugh.)
Gary Anderson

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:15:44 PM »
Gary sure ment what he said.  He flew four great electric powered flights on that good looking Stilleto.  That plane sure flies nice.  Boy did he have to work hard pushing that little red button and dusting of the bugs after each flight.  Look out guys, if he keeps this up he could be a real threat at the Golden State Stunt Championships this year.

Roger

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 08:21:14 PM »
Those pesky bugs!
They don't slide off without the lubricant anymore LL~
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 12:38:10 AM »
Hi guys,

Headed out to the field today and had a great time. No oil on the plane so had to remove the free riding bugs from her. Didn't get wore out doing pre-runs with the engine, darn electric engine doesn't have any compression. The first time in some time that I have gotten four great flights in. Plane ran the same rpm's through out the whole flight. The plane flew twelve extra laps after I completed the pattern. One thing really nice, when the motor starts it looks realistic cause she starts out slow and then picks up rpm's. Makes the take off look very real, if the judges are watching I'm sure it could help get a few extra points????? I was playing around and kept the plane on the ground for at less half a lap. The plane has a few trim issues but man is she flying, I believe I'm going to leave the electric set up in her and practice, practice, practice and if she lives, I'll be flying her at the Great Golden State Championship, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 05:13:37 AM »
Gary
Welcome to ECL  the power system kinda fades into the background and you just go fly - sometimes BORING is good!  Can also take advantage of a short-timer to work out any remaining trim issues.  Make a tweak, do a short flight with a couple tough manuvers in it, land tweak some more.  When you get what you want put in a fresh pack and get to work again!

I have not seen this listed anywhere - are you using a pusher prop?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 03:38:28 PM »
Hi Dennis,

Yes, Gary is using an APC 12x6 electric pusher prop.  RPM is set at 9500 (measured at 9480) fixed rpm on the Castle ICE-50 ESC.  Motor is a Turnigy 35-48 900 KV, timer is a Hubin FM-2a, battery is 4000 mah, 20C, 5S.

Roger

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 10:34:28 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm trying to post a picture of my Stiletto/with Electric Power. The Stiletto is a great flying plane using fuel or electric but I do believe that electric is more positive, with my Stiletto. My brother, Roger, has set the electric up for me and he did a great job. The plane is flying five second laps on 63' lines, motor runs right at five minutes thirty-nine seconds. The motor runs very quiet and you can hear the governor pick-up when needed. Thank you brother for your help and suppling the parts, Gary
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:23:48 AM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here