News:

• May 26, 2024, 03:39:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Way to go Igor!  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Way to go Igor!
« on: August 03, 2008, 06:04:56 PM »
Of course we are all proud of Dave Fitzgerald and the USA F2B team on their wonderful accomplishment at the Worlds.  However, looks like one of our StuntHanger regulars ECL'ers, Igor Berger was 2nd.

I presume Igor was flying electric; Is this the highest placing by E-power at the F2B Worlds?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Way to go Igor!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 07:44:44 PM »
This is the newest update to Igor's website, tho it's hard to say when it was "new"! Looks like the control system is pretty trick, but the power is still a .46LA on pipe. Maybe Igor will give us the honor of an update on his efforts. He does a lot of interesting experimental work on F2B models.  y1 Steve

http://www.netax.sk/hexoft/stunt/the_max_ii.htm
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 08:59:12 PM »
Bravo Igor ... Bravo! #^

Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
Thanx guys, I am already well home ... and breathing  n~

yes the model was the same as I flew in Sebnitz in 2002. I dismounted OS MAX LA46 and pipe. mounted AXI instead (using the same holes keeping OS by its backplate) and filled fuselage by 6 A123. It worked well.  VD~ 7 years old model performed in that wash machine well (by the way, that model was designed fot the wash machine in sebnitz, exactly same conditions like in France) ... the logarithmic unit worked perfectly as well as power train.

... and now I go sleep ... long ... first time aftre 10 days  Z@@ZZZ

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 10:59:05 AM »
Igor! You are the man!

Nicely done my friend, you have brought this all one giant step closer to reality. Please, please write up a piece for Stunt News about your model with all the details and even a round by round account of the Worlds and all that led up to it. Send photos and text to:

My email address is: robinhunt@rcn.com

Looking forward to reading the whole saga.

Again, nicely done and congrats to you and also to Mr Shreck!

Bob Hunt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 12:27:56 PM »
 H^^

With all the tricks Igor has up his sleeves, I wonder how many arms he has!

I'm waiting to see his 4-2-4 electric power implementation next. I guess the major question is what is allowed in F2B. However given the way his logarithmic flaps are working, I am thinking something can be attached to that to boost the throttle in a sharp corner!

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 05:01:41 PM »
Congrats Igor! And all this was done with A123 cells. H^^ I look forward to hearing more about the airplane.

Mike

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 07:21:04 AM »
Steve
At the bottom of Igor's web site it says "last revised June 05, 2002".
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 05:10:27 PM »
As a very small fish in this community I'd like to add my congratulations to Igor for this amazing result. The more I think about it, apart from initial startup costs, the less I understand why anyone starting out would choose IC over Electric. The wealth of info and willingness of pilots to share their experiences has been a revelation to me in the short time since I found these forums. Thanks to all. Here's to 1st place next year.....  >:D

TTFN
John.

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 12:42:56 PM »
Hi All,

I think that Igor is being a little modest here. I was there and Igor flew incredibly well in the roughest conditions of all world champs that I have attended. This time the rough weather seemed to be the same all the time for everyone, so this was a good way to see how the electric motors compared. You were just lucky if your flight had a few nice gaps in it. Igor’s electric system worked flawlessly through every flight, and it certainly opened many people’s eyes. I heard a few stating that the electric stuff loses power in the vertical and overhead maneuvers. I think that this misconception is due to the noise (or lack of) of these quiet power plants. The A123 cells were charged in around 18 to 20 minutes, and this really created plenty of interest from the electric critics. I thought that there would be many more electric models this time, but there were only 5. The Japanese team had a few electric models that reversed the motor to take advantage of the prop rotation gyro effect especially in the top of the hourglass.

What also makes Igor’s achievement even greater (I know that Igor would not like me to mention this…..but I need to share it) is that my electric model managed to burn out 2 motors and 2 controllers. Igor unselfishly spent much of his valuable practice and evening time helping me to sort my stuff out. I flew a brand new model called “Electron” in the champs. It’s powered by a MVVS 4,6/840 running on a 4-cell 3300 mAh Lipo pack using a Jeti Spin 44 esc. It worked well in the wind and rain in a German competition in Geilenkirchen, and I placed 3rd. I also managed to place 33rd in the warm-up world cup competition in Landres, without landing points. My Jeti 44 cannot be programmed for governor and brake modes, and the judges saw fit to give me zero for landing, because the prop was still spinning slowly. I knew that for me to get any decent place in the world champs, I would really need the landing points, with their 5 k-factor. Igor kindly offered me his back-up Jeti Spin 66 that has both modes simultaneously. He made a special cable so that he could stick it back on his Axi motor if necessary. It worked well and I managed quite a few good practice flights. I put back only 2200 mAh on average for each flight, and this was with an APC 12 x 6 E prop turning 8950 rpm for a lap time of 5.1 secs. This seemed to be a good way to get through the rough turbulence and still manage a reasonable score.

All went well until round 1 on the grass circle. The motor made a funny noise and stopped dead in the vertical 8’s. One of the wires to the motor connectors somehow came loose and the motor and controller burnt out. I was devastated, as I did not have another motor with me (silly boy!). Igor calmed me down and said that he was pretty sure that he had another motor like that in his hotel room. We went to check and there was indeed one. Igor lent me this plus his older MGM controller. I was so relieved and the next day I was back in the running again. After a few practice flights, all seemed well, but Murphy was still around and the motor stopped again in the same place in round 2. The air temperature was a few degrees up at around 27 degrees C. We checked after everything had cooled down, I used my Jeti Spin 44 to test with (just in case!!) and the motor and controller smoked as soon as we switched on. So basically I was out without even having put up a score. Once again Igor came to my rescue and offered his Axi 2826/10 to me. Igor and team mate Alexander Shrek worked late that night helping me to fit the Axi. It was much lighter than the MVVS and I could not get the trim right in the available time. It also did not seem to have the power of the MVVS, but it did enable me to get a respectable score and fly the last two official flights. I say a big THANK YOU to Igor for his unselfish gestures and friendship at this championships. Remember that I burnt out his only back-up controller. This the world champs, and not just a local club competition. Thanks also again to Alexander and Jan Stano for their wonderful support and encouragement. All of this will help you to appreciate why I say that Igor’s achievement is really special, and well deserved. Thanks again, my good friend, I am really so happy for you.
Keith R

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 04:56:14 PM »
Keith: GREAT post!  H^^ 

Got two comments:

1. I was really excited for Igor to see his excellent finsih.  Now it seems he has earned a world championship in SPORTSMANSHIP too.  BW@ CLP**

2. Keith, sheesz you are REALLY hard on equipment!   LL~  LL~   LL~  (just teasing!!!)
but you also showed incredible perserverance to keep pressing forward - way to go!   AP^
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 01:13:29 AM »
Thanks Dennis,

I seem to be prone to things going wrong at the wrong moments. Every time that I start thinking that this only happens to me, then someone like Paul Walker comes along and ruins my theory. I think that many wanted to see Paul's electric Impact fly..........I know that Paul really wanted to fly it in France. If this can happen to the best, then who am I to complain? I hate to temp Murphy, and this is why I don't like tuned pipes...too many things to go wrong. After flying ST 51's for some time, I tried the Retro Discovery .60 that seemed to be popular and simple as well. As a matter of interest, the Retro 60 was the most popular engine at this world champs. At the previous world champs in Landres in 2000, my Retro model was looking good but then it started to have errattic runs. We found fine white hairs after each flight in the spraybar. I flushed the tank changed the filter for a Craptrap and the runs in practice improved. The problem was due (we found out later) to inferior methanol from the organizers, and in the wet, cold weather this evidently happens. My last round came up and just after the round loops, the engines started clatterring more than usual......the Retro normally makes a funny sound. The bushes for the gudgeon pin in the piston packed up. Yuri Yatsenko kindly repaired the engine for me, but my 2 qualifying rounds were over.

I then skipped the 2002 world champs and played around with diesels. In 2004 in Muncie I arrived with my tried and tested MVVS 49 diesel in my latest design called Viper. The model worked flawlessly and after 3 practice flights everything was perfect. The wind was quite strong and gusty for practice flight no.5, but I thought that this would be good test for the diesel. My perfect model bust the outer wing off in the last pull-out of the reverse wing-over. Incidently this was just a short while after Paul Walker's new P-51 disintegrated in the air!

In 2006 in Spain, I had a new Viper with the same diesel, but struggled with the fuel. Ether in Europe is so expensive, and the new world champs lesson that I had to learn, was that ether boils at around 36 degrees C, and we were flying in 36 to 42 degrees each day. I found out too late that I need to keep the fuel in a cooler box or something. For this world champs I started on the electric model testing last year and work started on the Electron in December. After solving many problems, it was only ready to fly the week before leaving for Europe. The diesel Viper was working well now, but the fuselage does not come-apart so the flight box is bigger and heavier. I tried in vain for some time to get a few extra kilograms of luggage from Emirates airlines. They only allow 20 kg. in economy class and with a trip of 3 weeks for my wife and I, this was close to impossible with clothes for Europe. The Viper box weighs 11 kilo's and the Electron, with a fuselage that splits after the flaps, weighs only 7 kg. I even had to leave my laptop behind to save weight. I had to do another presentation at the workgroup meeting in France with my 3-D graphic stuff, so I had to borrow a pc over there. I went out on the Sunday before we left (Wed.16th) and said to my wife that if the first test flight does not show any promise of being a decent stunter, I would find a way to take the Viper. Flight no.1 at 5.6 secs a lap, was so good that I had another few flights and set the speed with the Jeti Box programmer. At 5.3 secs/lap, the Electron felt so good, and even more solid in speed than the diesel. I had 6 flights, and then went home and packed it for France.

Uwe and Claudia Kehnen had kindly invited us to stay with them in Germany the week before the world champs, and I could also fly in a competition in Geilenkirchen, so I thought that I would have plenty of time to sort out any minor hassles with the Electron. Emirates left my flightbox in Dubai and eventually it arrived just before the competition. The weather in Geilenkirchen was rainy with very strong wind, but I managed a 3rd place, and then off to France and the rest is history.

I need to recover first from the trip, and then start to think clearly. The heat problem is something that I obviously underestimated. Overall the decision to take the electric model really threw me into the deep end, but I'm still happy that I did it. The solid speed and power is impressive, and when Igor gets his program right for his 2/4 break system, I'm sure that it will be even better. I'm sure that I still have many more "world champs lessons" to learn, but if you had to ask me to write an article on why I fly stunt, I would say without any doubt that it is the incredible cameraderie in the stunt family around the world. This is the incredible part of the world champs. Very few of us will ever place in the top 10, but I get such a "warm-fuzzy" when I think of just being a part of such wonderful people. Now to sort out my electric model........

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 10:19:35 AM »
Igor,

Great Job!!!!

Please post the details of the A123 pack, motor, prop, lap time & line length, battery draw down etc. As you know I think you and me are the two guys that are working with the A123 packs.

I have just finished my new Excitation and started flying it with the AXI 2820/8 and a 3s2p pack. My original prop was a cut down APC_E 12x6 sized to 11.5 x 5.75. This prop is a great prop and pulled 57 -58 oz ships like a 60. With the new ship it seems I get through the pattern then hit the low voltage cut off and the system slowly shuts down before the end timer is hit. I did fly on a APC_E 11x 5.5 pitched up to 5.75 and it only pulled 3144 mah out of the pack but was a little slow around 5.4 lap time, I want to go at 5.1. Am increasing the pitch to 6 and will do current test to compare with the 5.75 pitch that I know works for the full flight time of 5m 50sec that I want.

Again congrads, best,

Dennis

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 02:38:35 PM »
I'm sure that I still have many more "world champs lessons" to learn, but if you had to ask me to write an article on why I fly stunt, I would say without any doubt that it is the incredible cameraderie in the stunt family around the world. This is the incredible part of the world champs. Very few of us will ever place in the top 10, but I get such a "warm-fuzzy" when I think of just being a part of such wonderful people. Now to sort out my electric model........
I couldn't have stated this any better.... My thoughts exactly.
With my set-up I had in Spain I never would have made it through the circumstances in France, but with the better ESC and prop I kept flying most of the time. Still I had some parts of the schedule ruined in each flight, yet I didn't break the model.
I'm also ready for the next step..... y1
'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 11:59:48 AM »
Hi Bruno,
So what more did you need to get through the worst air in Landres?
Have you tried the reverse pitch prop yet?

Say hello to Erik for me,
Dean Pappas
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here