News:

• May 12, 2024, 12:00:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Excitation ship finished - A123 Battery, AXI2820-8  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
New Excitation ship finished - A123 Battery, AXI2820-8
« on: July 20, 2008, 09:24:33 PM »
All,

Finally finished my new Excitation profile with AXI 2820-8, A123 3s2p battery, CC 45, Ztron III timer. Ship is 54" span, 595 sq in, 57oz, 64ft 0.015 lines. Motor run after new CC 2.0 firmware download was 8600 (was 8800 with 1.5 version). First several trim flights had 5.3 lap with an APC-E 11.5x5 @ 8600rpm. Increased prop pitch to 5 3/4 and lap time came in at 5.0. Have to do a small flap tweak to level the wings, inside flap is a tad low causing roll out upright and in inverted. May increase lines to 66' since the ship is solid on the 64'.

The new firmware works fine, the brake was set for high. It slows prop but does not completely stop unit model is almost on the ground. Pic's below.

Best,        Dennis

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: New Excitation ship finished - A123 Battery, AXI2820-8
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 07:10:01 PM »
Very clean setup.  I like how you handled the battery attachment.
Jim Vigani

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 07:53:30 PM »
Dennis:
VERY nice squeeky clean set-up - way to go!  H^^

Keep us posted on flight trim progress and REAL WORLD expereince with the A123's.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 06:15:58 AM »
Guys,

Attached is a picture of the nose section that gives a little detail of the battery, switch, ESC and timer pockets. The fuses if hollow and I opened the front to provide cooling for the equipment but there is lots of wires stuffed in there.

In my 30 yrs of modeling a couple things I really hate - Flap Tweaking & Hinging. ECL has added a couple more to the list - Soldering Deans plugs and Routing Wiring!

I did the flap tweak last night, made up four pieces of 1/4" thick 2" squares to spread the load and put one set over each end of the flap horn and twisted - god I hate that, I'm always concerned it will pop through. Seems to have worked I hope to fly later in the week.

From the test flights so far the APC-E 11 3/4"x5 3/4" (cut down from a 12X6) running at 8600rpm hits the lap time right at 5.0 on 64' lines. I did test a few other props a Master Airscrew 11x6 - it just didn't bit like the APC-E, lap time was 5.6, and a TF power point 12x6 cut down to 11 1/2x6, it also fell short with a lap time of 5.4. I have some three blades I will test once I get the wings level.

Best,        Dennis

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 08:12:00 AM »
Dennis,
Just a question--why don't you adjust the throttle to get your lap time instead of tweaking the prop? I find it works quite well.

With the new rpm mode on the CC ESC, you seem to be able to hit any rpm you want--only downside is that you need a laptop at the field if you want to change the rpm right then. In high governor mode, with the CC ESC, the rpm "clicks" were a couple hundred rpm/click on my JMP-2 timer and a 14 magnet motor (as I recall).

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
Guys,

I just noticed that the 2nd picture I posted was the test ship and not the nose of Excitation. I am not at my home computer that has the pic's on it so I will post the correct one later tonight.

Alan,

I decided to try and keep everything as it was from the test ship to see how it would compare. What I found was with the new CC firmware the rpm dropped to 8600 for 8800. I have not had time to understand the new "rpm set mode" so the quickest thing for me was to tweak the pitch.

Two things: first to run the rpm mode what do you set the throttle at in the timer? Currently I have the Ztron III set at 48% that gives the 8600. Do you pick a throttle point (say 60%) on the timer then adjust the rpm to that?

Second question - now that I have a baseline setup that will pull the ship at the speed I want and for the 6mins I want and the AXI2820-8, 3s2p A123 setup I was wondering if it might be worth trying a 4s1p arrangement with say the 12x6 and set the rpm to 8100 to get similar performance. If this would work out it will cut 5-6 oz or so off the weight. Since your Nobler seems to get it done with a 2100mah Li-Poly, it might work with the 2300mah A123. Any thoughts?

Best,         Dennis

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 12:16:02 PM »
Dennis,

Nice looking ship and setup!!

Looks like you have firmly affixed the A123 to your plane. Does this mean you are recharging the battery while it is on board? That would be a no no for Li-Polys but is probably OK for A123s. How long is the recharge time after a flight? I have six Li-Polys so that I can swap them out and get fairly frequent flights but with rapid charging for A123s you might only need a few (that would save some $$).

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 12:35:49 PM »
John,

The battery is in a pocket through the fues. There are two brass straps that cratel the battery on the outboard side of the fuse ( they are screwed to the fuse on the inboard side) and prevent the battery from moving, I also have two strips of velcro that line the outside half of the strips. The battery comes out by pushing it inward, the velcro also prevents them from falling out if the ship is turned on edge with the inboard wing down.

I have not flown full flights yet but since this is the same setup I used in the test ship I expect to get similar results about 3625mah for a 6min flight on the 11 3/4x5 3/4 APCE @ 8600rpm. Battery recharge at 8amps has been around 20 - 25mins. It could go faster at 10amp but I haven't pushed it to that yet.

Best,       Dennis

Alan Hahn

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 12:38:20 PM »
Dennis,

I'm running the Nobler right now in rpm mode and it seems to work great. However I do confess that I didn't actually measure the rpm, so it might be slightly different than when running in High Governor (HG) mode. Anyway this is what I did.
1) I put in the battery and motor kV&magnets info into the panel when asked.
2) For throttle less than 50%, I asked the rpm to be 7000 rpm (this is from memory, it might be a little higher).
3) For throttle greater than 50% I input a target rpm of 8050 rpm (50 less than the average I was flying with in HG mode).

Then I set up my timer so that the first flight time was 20 seconds at a throttle setting just a little less than 50% (~30 out of 63 on the JMP2 timer).  Then I set the final throttle at the end of the flight to be ~98%.

Here's what happens.
1) I push the start button and walk out to handle.
2) 20 s later the motor spools up (I have medium spool speed) to ~7000 rpm. I take off and fly 3 laps total at 7000 rpm.
3) Somewhere an the 4th lap, the automatically increasing timer throttle output crosses the 50% threshold, and the rpm increases to 8050 rpm. Definitely feel that. Plane flies at this setting for remainder of flight (total flying time is 310 s--doesn't include the delay time).

Idea is to try and have a nice smooth takeoff--we will see how that really works.

I probably will increase the 7000 rpm to ~7500 rpm to handle windier days. Also I will slow down the throttle response so when the rpm "jumps" to 8050, it will be a smoother transition. It is a big jump right now. I think I am currently set for medium throttle response.

Also I don't really feel the two warning blips at the end. Or I should say that I do, but the motor seems to quit almost at the same time. My brake seems to work quite nicely--I have a "hard brake" but with a medium ramp (and 0.3s delay --the minimum I think).

What I also like is that the ESC beeps every 10 seconds or so to remind me I still have the battery connected. Also my motor seems to have a smoother start now than it did in the past with the older CC firmware.

I also added an arming plug this year---I had one last year, but when I went to the 4s2100mAHr battery, the space inside the tank area got more crowded and I left it off. Finally put in some effort to come up with a reasonably trim setup that still leaves a lot of room to put in and take out the battery pack. I'll take a couple of photo's tonight to show how I did it.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 09:37:09 PM »
Guys,

Here is the picture of the nose cut outs for the switch, ESC, battery and timer.

Best,       Dennis

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 04:32:38 PM »
Hey Dennis your set up looks really good, how about a close up with everything conected. I would like to see how you mount the motor. OK here's the newbee question, what are A123 batteries ?? Thanks
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 07:23:38 AM »
Larry,

Attached is a closeup of the nose were you can see the mounting details. There is Velcro on the battery that matches with the brass straps. Also used Velcro to hold the ESC & Timer. Fuse is hollow and I opened the front to allow air flow over the components. Have half a dozen flights with no problems on temperature.

Best,        Dennis

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 08:34:22 AM »
All,

Have completed several trim flights and now have the wings level and am working on prop tests and amp draw down. I started out with the same setup I used in the test ship and with the exception of needing to adjust the pitch up to correct for the 200 rpm slower prop rpm when I installed the new CC firmware (it was easier to change the pitch then mess with the dip switches on the timer) all worked as planned. I started with the APC_E 12x6 cut down / repitched to 11.5 x 5.75. This pulled 54amps static @ 8600rpm which was the same amps as on the test ship. Lap time was 5.0 on 64.5' lines battery draw down was a little higher then the test ship when I did the full pattern at 4140mah out of the A123 3s2p, 4600mah pack. Problem was after I finished the pattern and got the three blip warning it went two laps and must have been 3 sec or so away from the normal shut down and brake when it hit the low voltage cutoff and just slowed down without cutting. Looking back to some information that Igor posted were he indicated that the cells could be below 2.8V or 8.4V for the pack, I reset the low voltage cut out to 6.3v. Others have indicated that the A123's can be drawn down to 2V or 6V for the pack with no reduction in life. At 6.3V voltages I will still be at about 91% throttle with the AXI 2820/8 1500K rated motor and should have lots of room to complete the 5min 50sec flight time.

I tried an APC_E 11 x 5.5 repitched to 6 and got to about a 5.4 lap time and was able to do the pattern and get to a normal shut down with a draw down of 3184mah, this was close and showed that I had plenty of battery left to increase the pitch to get the lap time to 5.1 that I want. I did a static amp test and this prop only pulled 34.5 amps. When the prop was pitched up to 6.5 the draw was 37.4 amps still lots of room. During the two tests the difference in thrust is very noticeably just holding the plane. I think the APC_E 12x6 has more under camber in the middle of the blade then the 11 x 5.5 and even when cut to 11.25 diameter still pulls 53 amps with very little reduction in thrust. I hope to do some additional static tests on a RevUp 11.5 x 7 and a Top Flt Power Tip 12x6 (the TF 12x6 I did fly on the test ship and it was almost as good as the APC_E 11.5x5.75). Hope to do some test flights  tomorrow.

Best,         Dennis

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 06:18:49 PM »
Success at Last!!!!

This weekend I did some prop tests and also determined how much time I need to fly the pattern with this ship. By sheer luck I had an old cut down Rev-Up 11 1/2 x 7 sized to 11" in the prop draw that was bored out to the correct size for the Eflite drive set. Since the pitched up APC_E 11 x6 seemed a little slow I took a test flight with the 11x7. Bingo! 5.1 lap time.

In the test flights I check the time to do the pattern with this ship at the 5.1 lap and it turns out I need 4min, 80 sec. I set the timer for 5min, 20 sec and got the flight in with 9 laps after the clover. I then found a full 11 1/2 x 7 Rev-Up in the draw and set that up, it pulls about 53 amps and with the timer set for 5min,10sec I got the pattern complete with 7 laps after the clover. It also drop the lap time to 5.0 and gave a little more tension at the top.

It pulled 3866 mah out of the A123 3s2p pack which is about 84%, just about right. This is about the largest amperage that I think I can pull and not hit the low voltage cut off. but it is right were this ship needs to be.

Best,         Dennis

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 11:51:20 AM »
Great, Dennis!
How is the grunt in the clover?
The 7" pitch does not surprise me at all: with the A123s in a 3S combo and a 1200 Kv motor running close to 40Amps, you really end up with maybe 7-1/2 volts after the copper loss. With a 1200 Kv, you really need to run at or below 9,000 and that means a little more than 6" pitch to barely get the lap time you want, with the available voltage. 6" was almost enough pitch, and that probably led to some interesting but wasted experiments.

take care,
Dean Pappas
Dean Pappas

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 12:24:30 PM »
Dean,

The grunt in the clover is great with the 7" pitch on the RevUp flat back prop. It will do the same 5.0 lap on the APC_E 11 1/2 x 5 3/4 (cut from 12x6). The APC_E has a deep undercamber that gives an effective pitch about 1.25" more than measured. I did fine a little mod to the APC_E that cuts 4 amps off, simply sand the trailing edge to knock off the deep kick (just about a 1/8" strip or so) from about 2" from the hub out. Since this doesn't add much pulling power it just cuts out some drag at the hub and 4 amps. Now that this is working I will start to try some other setups similar to Alan's and Igor's.

Best,  Dennis

Advertise Here
Tags: A123 

Advertise Here