News:

• April 30, 2024, 07:11:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Electric Twin project back on track  (Read 115024 times)

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: New Electric Twin project back on track
« Reply #550 on: September 10, 2014, 10:48:38 AM »
Hi Randy:

Yeah, how about it! :o

Actually I have found that the swept forward trailing edges that I use on most of my models yield very little stick pressure. The models may pull outward quite hard, but there is little to no stick pressure needed to make the model turn, even in very heavy wind. Sort of like having your cake, eating it too, then going out for a big desert and having something sweet when you get home... #^  

Later - Bob

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #551 on: September 10, 2014, 01:00:25 PM »
I've watched all the vídeos and liked them a lot....

Oh, the ship too.... I love it!!!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #552 on: September 10, 2014, 02:32:24 PM »
>>Actually I have found that the swept forward trailing edges that I use on most of my models yield very little stick pressure.<<

Well, there may be something to that. My current plane has some forward sweep to the trailing edge. Only way I could get enough flap area with the elliptical wing.

Now, if I can just get out the slight hunt, I will be pretty happy with my new bird.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #553 on: September 11, 2014, 12:06:09 AM »
Now, if I can just get out the slight hunt, I will be pretty happy with my new bird.

Haven't you heard?  All electric planes do that.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #554 on: September 11, 2014, 07:48:18 PM »
>>It still pulled like the Queen Mary out there<<

That's something I noticed with mine. The pulls like a truck. With IC planes, when the pull like that, they are usually quite hard to turn from level flight. Takes a ton of stick pressure to get them to want to turn. With this new electrical beast, it was pulling quite hard but turned very easily and precisely. I found that odd.

Randy I notice that all my electric planes also pull like a truck, I think the pusher prop I use cause it but they fly so well that I just can't make myself try a tractor prop. to see what happens. ???
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #555 on: September 12, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »
Larry,

I thought the same thing. I may try a tractor prop on it just to see what happens, but haven't yet.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #556 on: September 12, 2014, 08:25:12 PM »

Did I miss it, or has the full meal deal original not flown yet?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #557 on: September 13, 2014, 07:18:51 AM »
Hi Wayne:

Not yet. We wanted to work out any "bugs" that might be in the motor or retract systems before flying one of the "serious" ships. Buddy is almost done painting his new twin, which is the same size and aerodynamics as the test bed we are now flying. My smaller, original, twin is about halfway through the paint process and will hopefully be done and ready for a test flight or two before the snow flies... Even if it isn't finished by winter, my experiences with the test bed have calmed my nerves about twins in general. I'll finish both of the twins I now have underway, and then I'm going to draw up and build yet another one (or several...) that will incorporate a lot of new ideas that I've had since starting this venture.

Randy and Larry:

There is a reason why the swept forward TE ships have less stick pressure. A few years back, Bill Werwage wrote about this in his Vulcan article in Model Aviation. Here's what he had to say...

Excerpt from Vulcan article:

“The most significant thing that was different about the Vulcan was the high amount of forward sweep in the trailing edge. This was done with two thoughts in mind. I wanted to keep the center of pressure (CP) from moving aft on the wing when the flaps were deployed. With the forward swept hinge line, the average flap position is ahead of the point where it would be on a straight hinge line model, and therefore when deployed the flaps would not move the CP as far aft. The effect this has is to not over stabilize the model by moving the CP too far back from the center of gravity. In other words the model would not become as nose heavy with the flaps deployed. One of the major benefits of this arrangement is that the stick pressure felt in the handle, especially in high wind conditions, is dramatically reduced. When the flaps are moved either up or down, the airfoil is changed to an undercamber type, which increases the wing’s lift. But it also changes the point of the center of the lift, which is also known as the center of pressure.
“On a straight trailing edge model, when the flaps are deployed, the CP moves a much greater distance, and over stabilization occurs. The result is more stick pressure and a model that requires more input to achieve directional change. In calm conditions this is almost unperceivable, but in heavy wind it can be dramatic!

“Another benefit of the forward sweep in the trailing edge hinge line is the effectively longer tail moment. The moment is now measured from the average of the flap’s position in relation to the stabilizer/elevator hinge line.”

There may even be more to all this. In a discussion I had with Dean Pappas about the Crossfire design he gave me some thoughts on the relative position of the quarter chord points on the root and tip airfoils. I asked him to write up his thoughts for inclusion in the book I'm writing about the Crossfire. Here's what he had to offer...

Dean's thoughts:

“First off, just to point out the happy hopelessness of this discussion, a stunt ship flying maneuvers on the surface of the hemisphere in steady runway wind is a horrifically complicated system to describe completely (Don’t even get me started about flying one of these in turbulence…).

“From an aerodynamic standpoint, wing sweep is measured along the quarter chord line. An un-swept, tapered wing has a trailing edge rake that is three times the leading edge rake angle. So, recognize that all stunt ships, including Bill’s and Bob’s, have swept wings. Airplanes with straight flap hinge lines actually have lots of sweep. If you take a swept wing and fly it yawed to incoming air (like a CL Stunt ship always does…) then a rolling moment will be produced. In the maneuvering area the airplane is always flying with the relative wind coming from the left side of the nose. The airplane is yawed to the right. Every time the airplane is G loaded in a maneuver the rolling tendency will ‘bang’ the outboard tip. Side note: If you’ve ever taken tip weight out to trim for a runway type wind, now you know why! This also explains why some of those older, constant chord designs, such as the Chief, fly much better than you’d expect in wind.

“The second thing that happens with a swept wing, especially if you have half-span flaps, or if you have full-span flaps that interfere with the wing tip vortices, is that the center of lift of the wing will move inboard and outboard with changes in flap deflection and G loading. On a swept wing this also means that the center of lift will also move fore and aft.

“If all you did was fly in heavy wind, you would still be stuck with a compromise between control system geometry and the undesirable effect of wing sweep. And, bad control system geometry and/or construction can trash all of this. Say what you will, but a straight flap hinge line is easier to construct properly. The Crossfire has .75 degree of sweep along the quarter chord line, including the flap. Compare that to what you are flying today.”

Thanks to Dean for that. I did check the sweep in the quarter chord line in several "average" stunt models and found it to be around 4.5 to 4.75 degrees of sweep. Compare that to the .75 degrees used in the Crossfire... I truly believe that this is a major factor in why ships with this feature turn easier (less stick pressure) in wind.

Later - Bob Hunt

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #558 on: September 14, 2014, 04:44:53 PM »
Today was the best day yet with the new test bed twin. It won its first contest!

Buddy and I decided to give it a try at the Palisades Park/GSCB contest. We put both of our AMA numbers on the wing and we both flew it in competition. I had originally thought that we would enter and fly and then disqualify ourselves because we both flew the same ship, but the other competitors wanted us to "fly for the record," and so we did. I was fortunate enough to win the contest, and felt that my high scoring flight was the best flight I'd put on the plane to date. Good time to do it... H^^

Everyone seemed to like the way it presented, and everyone certainly liked the retracts!  #^

I still have some things I want to try on the test bed to improve its performance, but, hey, it ain't bad just as it is now.  <=

The whole day was ruined when my New York Giants got beat... again... badly...  :'(

Peaks and valleys...  n~

Bob Hunt
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:21:57 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #559 on: September 14, 2014, 09:30:44 PM »
That is great news.  I can't wait to see what happens when you get the other twin done.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #560 on: September 15, 2014, 05:50:28 AM »
Thanks, Doc.  ;D

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about getting the twin done that I've been working on for the past five years. The new one (the one that's the same size as the test bed twin) was built over last winter and it's also in finish, so I can build them faster than everyone thinks...  LL~

By the way, Robby is leaving tomorrow to go back to Seattle. He says hi!

Later - Bob

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #561 on: September 15, 2014, 10:07:28 AM »
I hope he has a safe trip.   Also for him to say to the guys from the old DOC.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #562 on: September 18, 2014, 12:39:07 PM »

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #563 on: September 18, 2014, 01:10:54 PM »
Hi, Bob-

This is a great thread, and I'm much impressed with the e-twin! 'hope you can make it to our area this weekend for the annual Akron/Cleveland Area contest at MAPS.

SK

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #564 on: October 06, 2014, 08:42:28 AM »
Hi Serge:

Thanks for the kudos on the twin. Sorry I could not make the Akron meet; Tom Luciano and I were going to drive out (leaving here at 1:00 AM on Sunday...) to attend, but the weather report we checked at the last minute showed some pretty harsh conditions expected at the site. We opted to sleep in instead...

Will Hubin flew in last Monday for a visit. Will owns a beautiful Super Decathlon, and there is an airport less than a mile from my home, so it was an easy hook up. Will wanted to see the testbed twin fly in person. Will is the designer of the special twin timer for the bird. That timer has a retract function and a pot on the board that allows us to make one motor run incrementally faster than the other. That feature works great and has allowed us to achieve the proper amount of run differential to give great line tension without any attendant yaw issues.

As most of you know, Will is a fantastic photographer, and he took a bunch of shots of the twin in flight. Attached are three of the shots Will took that day. Buddy Wieder and I each flew a demo flight for Will.

Later - Bob  

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #565 on: October 06, 2014, 02:54:43 PM »
That twin still looks awesome.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #566 on: October 06, 2014, 07:14:41 PM »

Cool stuff, can't wait to see the finished "full meal deal". #^

Wayne Willey

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #567 on: October 14, 2014, 02:22:33 PM »
Buddy and I took the testbed twin out yesterday and did a lot of fine tuning and trimming. We found a ton of performance improvement with those changes!

The model had been turning faster insides that outsides to a degree, and we had adjusted the elevator down a bit to fix that a while back. The model was still turning slightly faster insides and so we took another swipe at lowering the elevator in relation to the flaps at neutral. That did the trick! We are also using a bit more handle spacing to get the control in a bit faster and increase the turn rate. We had moved the battery back a full 2 3/4 inches and that certainly helped the turn rate, but didn't cause the ship to be too tail heavy. I think we've just about optimized the pitch trim at this point.

We had added an area tab to the inboard flap because the outboard wing was lifting just a bit on both insides and outsides. The tab fixed 90 percent of the problem, and so we are making an even larger tab. Hey, if you make an adjustment and things get better, but not perfect, just keep going in the direction that made things better... until things get worse again!  H^^

Again, all the changes we are making now are just normal airframe trim issues; the power train and the retract system continue to work flawlessly. This thing is just a gas to fly! %^@ (Oops, perhaps I should have said that I get a charge out of flying it... <=)

Attached are a few more of the photos that Will Hubin took during his visit. These photos were taken before the re-trim of the elevator. Note the slightly tail low upright flight attitude and the slightly tail high inverted flight attitude. This was all fixed with the trim changes we made yesterday. Before those changes were made, the ship grooved and locked extremely well; it grooves and locks even better now!

I've received a number of requests for the plans and building manual for this design. If there is enough genuine interest I will do a set of decent building plans and make all the photos of the building process available on a CD along with some detailed instructions  

Later - Bob Hunt  
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:52:07 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #568 on: October 14, 2014, 03:52:08 PM »
Put me down for the plans & CD.
In the last picture there is a lot yaw out relative to lines.  Looks like you are at top of wingover.  Normal ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #569 on: October 14, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
Hi Allan:

Not sure if that is normal. I do know that we have a bunch of line tension. I'm planning on dialing back the RPM on the inboard motor a bit. It is currently turning about 25 RPM faster than the outboard motor. Pretty sure that will cure the angle to the lines issue. On the plus side, there is no perceivable yaw anywhere with this ship, so that may be a good thing... ::)

Later - Bob

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #570 on: October 26, 2014, 09:17:33 AM »
The test bed twin (Perhaps we should call it the "TBT") continues to be a great learning tool. We now have more than 60 flights on it (pretty much shared between Buddy and me. Although I do have a few flights more than he does...), and we have tried a bunch of trim mods in an effort to make it fly better and better. Here's a report on where it is now, and what changes we are making.  

First off, the TBT flies just great as it is now. However, I know that there is even more performance to be gained. It was a bit nose heavy as it came off the board and I attribute that to the fact that there is really no appreciable finish on this ship; just a thin coat of Polyurethane to seal the wood against moisture. The "real" twins will have full competition finishes on them, and much of the weight of such a finish will be concentrated behind the CG of the ships. We had to add a bit of tail weight to the TBT, and we also moved the battery (a 14 ounce Hyperion 4S 4,000 mAh 25C unit) a full 2 1/2 inches rearward. That helped a lot, but the ship was still slightly nose heavy for my taste. I added a bit of tail weight (about a half ounce) and it got a lot better, but I still would prefer the CG to be just a bit further aft. We are currently using two 1,100 Kv E-Flite Power 10 motors that weigh in at 4.3 ounces a piece. I’m switching over to two Cobra 2814/16 motors (1050 Kv) that weigh 3.8 ounces each. That’s not too much of a savings in weight, and since the motors are not positioned right at the nose of the ship, the changeover probably won’t move the CG aft too much. Every little bit helps, however. I don’t want to add too much more tail weight as the inertial effects of concentrated weight that far aft tends to cause the tail to slide past the turn point to a small degree. Sort of a minor “fishtail” effect…

We have also tried a handle with a wider spacing between the lines, and that helped a lot. We can get the control input in much faster and the result is a much better turn. Interestingly, even though we keep moving the CG aft, the groove and lock continue to be superb. We think that the effect of the props turning in opposite directions help promote good groove and lock.

In future twin designs I will shorten the length of the nacelles a bit to help achieve a far enough rearward CG without the need to add tail weight.
I also used a somewhat slower control system in the TBT, and that inhibits getting the control input in as fast as I feel it needs in this ship. I’ll put faster controls in the next twin I build. I’ll also make provisions to be able to use much more elevator deflection than flap deflection.

We had a problem with the outboard tip flairing up in both turn directions. We added a bunch of tip weight, but that didn’t fix the problem of the flairing, but it did cause other problems. An area tab on the inside wing fixed the problem, and today I removed the tab and cut the outboard flap down in span at the tip by 3 ½ inches and made the short tip section adjustable as a trim tab.

Buddy and I did a lot of experimentation with flap/elevator neutral adjustment, and we think we had found the optimal setting for that; the ship now turns crisply both inside and outside, and there is no feeling that the ship is “sliding” through the corners in either direction.

Future experiments include trying the props turning the other way. Right now the tops of the props are turning towards the canopy. We’ll try it with the tops of the props turning away from the canopy the next time out. This is a simple matter of switching any two wires on each motor and then switching the props and spinners.  I guess, to cover all the bases, we should also try turning both props in the same direction just to be certain that we’ve left no stone unturned…

I’m convinced that there are major advantages to the twin concept, and for the foreseeable future that’s all I intend to build and fly. I think Buddy feels the same way…

Later – Bob Hunt    
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 09:48:56 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #571 on: October 26, 2014, 12:20:28 PM »
Here is a novel idea to at least try. One pusher and one tractor. I have no clue what it would do.
AMA 12366

Offline MikeCoulombe

• Commander
« Reply #572 on: October 26, 2014, 12:54:30 PM »
Very nice Bob, I too would be interested in plans and c/d.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #573 on: October 26, 2014, 02:09:37 PM »
Here is a novel idea to at least try. One pusher and one tractor. I have no clue what it would do.

"You keep thinking, Butch, that's what you're good at..." - Sundance

By the way, that's what we have on there now...

Bob

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #574 on: October 26, 2014, 03:06:03 PM »
I didn't think of it. Oh well we know that works LL~
AMA 12366

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #575 on: October 26, 2014, 09:17:52 PM »
Future experiments include trying the props turning the other way. Right now the tops of the props are turning towards the canopy. We’ll try it with the tops of the props turning away from the canopy the next time out. This is a simple matter of switching any two wires on each motor and then switching the props and spinners.  I guess, to cover all the bases, we should also try turning both props in the same direction just to be certain that we’ve left no stone unturned…

I feel the need to repeat the advice I gave you on page 5:

motor 1 rotation   motor 2 rotation   prop 1  prop 2  outcome
        L                       L                  L         L         OK
        L                       L                  L         R         bad
        L                       L                  R         L         bad
        L                       L                  R         R         bad
        L                       R                  L         L         bad
        L                       R                  L         R         good
        L                       R                  R         L         bad
        L                       R                  R         R         bad 
        R                       L                  L         L         bad
        R                       L                  L         R         bad
        R                       L                  R         L         good
        R                       L                  R         R         bad
        R                       R                  L         L         bad
        R                       R                  L         R         bad
        R                       R                  R         L         bad
        R                       R                  R         R         OK

I wouldn't risk it.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #576 on: November 10, 2014, 04:11:24 PM »
Buddy Wieder and I had another good "epiphany" day with the Test Bed Twin. Up to this point I thought I had the leadouts positioned right where they belonged, but a suggestion from my flying buddy, Tom Hampshire made me rethink their placement. The ship was pulling like a freight train in level flight and seemed to have good tension everywhere else too. Tom flew it and said that he thought the line tension decreased a bit through maneuvers and especially in the vertical and overhead maneuvers. It still had lots of tension, just variable to a degree.

I moved the leadouts a good 3/8 to 1/2 inch forward of the most forward previous position, and flew it. It still pulled like the Queen Mary in level flight, only now it pulled that way through all the maneuvers as well. There's a lesson here; try everything that makes sense, and everything that doesn't as well!  %^@

Recently we removed the area tab that we had taped to the inboard flap and cut the span of the outboard flap to approximate the area differential that seemed to be working. I hinged the cut off section and made an adjuster to enable it to be a trim tab as well. I think I made that section to big, however, and today we added a small area tab to the end of the outboard flap. That seemed to do the trick, and Buddy and I will be modifying our "real" twins this week to reflect that change. The Test Bed Twin has proven to be a very valuable research tool.

Later - Bob Hunt

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:16:33 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #577 on: November 10, 2014, 04:38:58 PM »
Do you have any pictures of these area tabs of yours in this little thread?  Or have I missed them somewhere?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #578 on: November 10, 2014, 04:48:31 PM »
Hi Tim:

Yeah, I thought the crop was a bit too tight on those previous photos to show everything to good effect... mw~

These should do the trick. The tabs are simply two pieces of 1/32 inch thick plywood glued together at one edge. They slip on over the TE and are taped in place. Easy peasey to install and adjust... <=

Later - Bob

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #579 on: November 11, 2014, 07:37:26 AM »
For a fast & easy temporary tab I use a piece of manila folder stock.  Fold it half, cut to size and tape it on. 
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #580 on: January 04, 2015, 10:41:05 AM »
Buddy Wieder and I took the opportunity a week or so back to go to the field and fly the test bed twin. The weather cooperated and blessed us with a 55 degree day with no appreciable wind. We each flew four or five flights. Every time I fly the twin (and I think I can also speak for Buddy here...) I'm more and more convinced that the twin format is what I'll continue with from here to the finish line (although there may also be a four-motored ship in there at some point...).

Up to this point we have built each of our twins (there are four of them in various stages of building or finishing) without the use of formal/permanent fixtures on which to construct the nacelles. We did make up a neat fixture to hold the assembled nacelles in proper alignment to each other while we installed the plane onto the nacelles. That took a bit of thinking, but it worked perfectly.

In order to insure that the nacelles are constructed absolutely accurately, and in turn will fit onto the above mentioned alignment fixture, I decided to take a bit of time to engineer, design and build an assembly jig around which to build the nacelles.

The attached photos should be self explanatory. Future nacelles will be designed to fit onto this jig. If we opt to go to a longer or larger nacelle for some reason, we will simply build another of these jigs.

As I assemble the first nacelles on this jig I'll take photos and then present them here so everyone can follow the entire process.

Obviously, all this means that I have started on another new twin. Let the flames begin... %^@ I enjoy designing and building at least as much as I do flying, so this is therapeutic for me...  The new twin is a bit smaller than the last one, and it was designed loosely around the aerodynamic "numbers" of the Gene Schaffer-designed Oosa-Amma (Stunt Machine I). I've named the new twin design, "Turning Point." I'll throw a photo of the fuselage side view, sans nacelles, in here as well.

Happy New Year - Bob Hunt

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #581 on: January 04, 2015, 01:07:14 PM »
Okay, I finished the nacelle building fixture, and, well, built the nacelle crutches. To say I'm happy with the process would be a monumental understatement!

The nacelle sides are different because of the taper of the wing. It's important to get them to seat properly on the wing panels and be square in all planes. The front of the nacelles when mounted on the wings should be dead square to the center line of the fuselage and the tops of the nacelles should be aligned perfectly as well. To get all these aspects dead perfect was a tall order. In the accompanying photos you will see that all criteria have been met.  #^

The next step is to install the nose rings and then the motor mounts. I'll use the very same procedure that is depicted in my Hardnose Motor Mount Instruction Manual. Again, this manual is in PDF format and is available for free to anyone who wants it. Just email me and I'll send it to you.

Enjoy the photos! - Bob Hunt

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #582 on: January 04, 2015, 02:39:14 PM »
So, when are you going to do the forward swept canard twin?  VD~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #583 on: January 04, 2015, 02:50:40 PM »
Next!  ;D

Bob

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #584 on: January 07, 2015, 03:04:01 PM »
I love this thread...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #585 on: January 20, 2015, 08:28:21 AM »
Thanks, Marcus; it's been fun for me, too!

Got a bit more done on the Turning Point twin on Sunday. While watching the football games I cut the top and bottom blocks to size and tack glued them to the nacelle crutches. Then I carved and sanded the blocks to shape. I suppose I could have molded these parts, but I love to carve and don't get much chance to do that these days with all the molded components I use.

Couldn't resist the urge to take a few shots of the carved nacelles taped in place on the wing. I still have to pop the blocks off and hollow them, and then fit filler blocks in the areas where I carved through the nacelle sides to blend the spinners into the air inlet areas. The next step will be to install the bellcrank and join the wing panels.

Later - Bob

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:02:11 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #586 on: January 20, 2015, 10:21:34 AM »
Here I thought the holes were for needle valves!  Very nice Bob.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #587 on: March 08, 2015, 09:14:08 AM »
Anything new on this project?  ???

DesignMan

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #588 on: June 26, 2015, 01:03:23 PM »
I had a surge of energy and finished up the original twin. It finished up at 68 ounces with battery on board and with the retracts and wiring. A bit more than I wanted, but it should perform well with the two E-Flite Power 10 motors and the one 4s 4,000 battery. It's been a long haul...

Bob Hunt

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #589 on: June 26, 2015, 01:10:56 PM »
Very nice Bob.  This twin thing is catching on.  Watched Rick Huff kick butt at Brodak in Intermediate with his Pathfinder twin.
Jim Vigani

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #590 on: June 26, 2015, 01:22:38 PM »
Plans, we need Plans.  How many sq.in. wing area for that 68oz ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #591 on: June 26, 2015, 02:15:44 PM »
Plans may be a while yet...

It has 650 square inches of area, but remember, I've quoted the battery on board weight. A glow twin with two .15 size engines would require 8 ounces of fuel (two four ounce tanks), and fuel weighs nominally an ounce per fluid ounce, so it's equivalent to a 60 ounce glow twin without that eight ounces. With the 20 inches of disk span, providing a lot of artificial air blast over the surfaces, and the greatly decreased drag with the retracts, it should do okay.

Later - Bob

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #592 on: June 26, 2015, 04:46:03 PM »
You know, you can get a counter-rotating power setup that would be perfect in the nose of the fuselage!  If some is good, more is better, and too much is just right!  VD~

DesignMan

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #593 on: June 26, 2015, 04:47:24 PM »
Plans may be a while yet...

It has 650 square inches of area, but remember, I've quoted the battery on board weight. A glow twin with two .15 size engines would require 8 ounces of fuel (two four ounce tanks), and fuel weighs nominally an ounce per fluid ounce, so it's equivalent to a 60 ounce glow twin without that eight ounces. With the 20 inches of disk span, providing a lot of artificial air blast over the surfaces, and the greatly decreased drag with the retracts, it should do okay.

Later - Bob
You using .014 solids or .018 cables ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #594 on: June 26, 2015, 05:45:12 PM »
The solids for sure; that's all I ever fly on...

Bob

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #595 on: June 28, 2015, 01:35:36 AM »
Very nicely done, Bob!
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Airacobra

• Commander
« Reply #596 on: June 30, 2015, 01:33:51 PM »
Great looking plane Bob. I hope I have the opportunity to see it fly.
Keith Bryant

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #597 on: June 30, 2015, 06:15:05 PM »

It's DONE!  :o

Just in time for the NATS Bob!  ;D

Wayne Willey

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #598 on: July 03, 2015, 01:33:45 PM »
Here are a few more photos. One is of Buddy Wieder holding his new "Ryan's Evil Twin" ship and me holding the Second Wind at our practice field.

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline Shawn Lenci

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #599 on: July 04, 2015, 08:08:44 AM »
Bob,

Glad you are feeling better.  Really nice stuff in those photos.  Beautiful airplanes, both of them. H^^  I'll bet they look fantastic in the air.  Good Luck in Muncie!

Shawn
AMA 97686

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here