News:

• March 29, 2024, 02:48:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Electric Twin project back on track  (Read 113802 times)

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: New Electric Twin project back on track
« Reply #600 on: July 04, 2015, 08:26:53 AM »
Thanks, Shawn.

Wish you could make it to the Nats. We usually have an evening of guitar playing with Jeff Traxler and Bill Werwage; you'd fit right in!

Later - Bob

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #601 on: July 04, 2015, 12:06:40 PM »
I'll have guitars in tow....... #^ #^
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #602 on: July 07, 2015, 10:31:02 AM »
I just got a new Nikon camera and took a few photos during today's practice session. Indulge me... ::)

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #603 on: July 07, 2015, 10:37:27 AM »
...and here's one of Buddy with his Ryan's Evil Twin design at the practice field... H^^

Bob

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #604 on: July 07, 2015, 11:44:20 AM »
Bob, that is just cool. Great achievement.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #605 on: July 07, 2015, 12:30:25 PM »
Thanks, Randy... Although next to some of your amazing designs, this one looks like a box car... :-\

Later - Bob

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #606 on: July 07, 2015, 01:21:55 PM »
Bet it flies better. Betcha.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #607 on: July 07, 2015, 01:35:35 PM »
LOL! I won't touch that bet, because I'm very pleased with the Second Wind's flight performance (I still hold my breath at the end of the flight until the gear comes down...).

Later - Bob

Robby Hunt

« Reply #608 on: July 07, 2015, 02:27:29 PM »
Deuces are wild...here we see a pair of conspirators, double down on rudders (200% more than a Genesis mind you), and of course, Bubba flashing the international sign for twins...

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #609 on: July 07, 2015, 03:22:58 PM »
Of course - and you probably didn't know this - Robby was flying electric CL long before any of us. Here he is in 1980 or so, practicing for the Nats... LL~ LL~

Dear old dad...

Robby Hunt

« Reply #610 on: July 07, 2015, 03:46:55 PM »
Ahh, the early days...back then the trick was to keep the batteries from rotting...

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #611 on: July 09, 2015, 02:49:55 PM »
Deuces are wild...here we see a pair of conspirators, double down on rudders (200% more than a Genesis mind you), and of course, Bubba flashing the international sign for twins...

Troublemakers, all ... Would you buy a used Stunter from these guys?

Have a great NATs, everybody,
   Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #612 on: July 13, 2015, 09:33:53 PM »
Saw Bob's and Bud's twins today at appearance judging.  Very pretty.  I lectured Bud on the perils of motor direction and prop direction matching.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #613 on: July 13, 2015, 09:47:28 PM »
Troublemakers, all ... Would you buy a used Stunter from these guys?  In a heartbeat!  #^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #614 on: July 25, 2015, 05:03:55 PM »
"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." - Robert Hunter

With its appearance at the 2015 Nats, the long and strange saga of the Second Wind twin has finally reached an end. I've been working on this ship for more than seven years. There were times when I doubted if it would ever be finished and flown. I know that some of you who have been following this marathon thread had similar thoughts...

I finished the Second Wind a week before the Nats and was able to get two full patterns on it before leaving for Muncie. For the record, I finished in eleventh place in Open Stunt with it, and at the end of the Nats it had a grand total of 17 flights on it! Considering that there were pilots there who had hundreds (or, in some cases, even thousands) of flights on their ships, and put in as many as 25 flights a day in preparation, I don't feel too bad. In fact, I feel great.

The ship flew virtually "off the board." There are still a couple of minor trim changes that need to be made, and lots of motor/prop experiments that need to be done, but, overall it was a resounding success. The ship turns great and has an excellent lock after corners. It tracks very well and grooves through rounds extremely well.

I was determined to get this ship to the Nats in spite of the debilitating back problems I was having. Massive physical therapy sessions helped me to get back on my feet long enough to finish the bird and get it to Muncie. The week was long and grueling, but I made it through in pretty good shape.

My thanks go out to all who followed this thread and the progress of the Second Wind twin. Thanks also go out to my "crew," who went above and beyond the call of duty to help me through the rigors of the past few months. That crew consisted of (in alphabetical order)  Ken Armish, Rich Giacobone, Tom Hampshire, Frank Imbriaco, Tom Luciano, Frank McMillan, Mark Weiss, and Buddy Wieder. These guys are just the best!

And now, an announcement: This was my final Nats in Open Stunt competition. I have decided that the flying of the electric, retract-gear twin in competition is a fitting exclamation point to my long career. I will be going through a lot of surgeries in the future, and will not have the mobility that I've enjoyed for most of my life. I will continue to design, build, and develop new models, and I'll always share my findings with all of you. I have lots of new ideas, and most of them are for things that will help the beginner, intermediate, and advanced fliers to achieve better stunt performance. Naturally, I'll post about them here.

My most heartfelt thanks go out to all who have supported me and have befriended me over the years; they are too numerous to list here, but they all know who they are. I love you all.

Without the inspiration, guidance and help of my father, none of this adventure would have happened. Without the love and support of my wife and family it would not have either.

Mostly I want to publicly thank and Praise the most important entity in my life, my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Without Him I'm nothing.  

I'm signing off on this thread with the posting of a few great photos of the Second Wind that Will Hubin took at the Nats. Hey, I think it looks pretty good in the air!

Fair winds - Bob Hunt  

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 06:04:59 AM by Bob Hunt »

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #615 on: July 25, 2015, 07:59:56 PM »
Well done thy good and faithful servant!

All the best.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #616 on: April 24, 2016, 10:05:38 PM »
Bob,
Trust you're still checking in---any news on plans for the Second Wind?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #617 on: April 27, 2016, 08:59:17 AM »
Hi Jim:

I'd love to be able to get a set of plans done and available for the Second Wind twin, but right now I just don't have the time to do it. I have a lot of Robin's View orders to get through, and I practice guitar at least two hours every day. I will not give that up...  Hopefully, in the future I'll have the time to finish the plans and make them available.

Later - Bob

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #618 on: May 07, 2016, 02:49:50 PM »
What guitar ya playing the most these days partner?  Wait 'til you see the fretboard Trax brought to me at the end of his last trip your way - many hours of inlay happening to it!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #619 on: May 08, 2016, 07:24:34 AM »
Hi Will:

The playing time is pretty evenly split these days between my Taylor 516 CE and my newly acquired Taylor 2011 Spring Limited, all mahogany Grand Concert with a short scale neck. I got it at a very good price, and it is a collectors item. It has an ebony fingerboard, head stock plate and bridge. It is easily the best sounding and easiest to play guitar I've ever owned (and, I've owned a bunch...). It's a fingerpicking type guitar, and hence has no pick guard. It has a transparent cherry stained finish and is just gorgeous! Many think it is heresy that I live less than three miles from the Martin Guitar Company and yet play Taylors. Hey, the Taylors are just easier to play and generally sound better in my opinion.

Yeah, Jeff picked up a lot of stuff at the Martin outlet while he was here. He got a bunch of necks and some fingerboards.

I'm making progress on the D-28 replica that I'm building, and just recently inlaid the rosette rings (after Jeff walked me through the process on a piece of scrap spruce...). I'll hopefully have this one in one piece by fall. I haven't forgotten the Gibson J-200 mold that I promised to send you... Just been really busy of late. I'll get to it.  ;D

Later - Bob Hunt
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:50:32 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #620 on: May 08, 2016, 04:27:56 PM »
No hurry at all on the mold, my current one is still good.  Jeff brought me back half a dozen necks and fretboards the last trip, I can't make them for the price he gets them for!
Taylor for sure at my end too, except that I play my own instead. But if I weren't building guitars, I would be playing Taylor's.  If I were to be honest about it, I mostly use Taylor specs for my setups.  H^^
On my electrics I use PRS specs.  (And folks wonder why my instruments play so easily.)
That Grand Concert is one fine piece of work.  Congrats on that one.
To get back to the control line part of our lives, it is almost total history for me, too, at this time.  I hope to revitalize my interest soon, but it's nearly impossible right now.  NO guys, I AIN'T selling my PA's!!  Or anything else for that matter, I do plan to come back and qualify to fly expert at some time in my life.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #621 on: May 08, 2016, 05:04:00 PM »
I'll keep watching for yah. LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #622 on: September 07, 2017, 09:33:35 AM »
Just bumping this to the top. I've had a lot of questions about my Second Wind twin of late and this thread should answer most of those questions.

By the way, both of my twins -- the Second Wind and the not-yet-finished American Spirit twin -- are for sale. The Second Wind is complete with motors and retracts; it's easy to fly. The American Spirit needs about a month of finishing work. Contact me if you are seriously interested; I'm not giving them away...

Later - Bob Hunt 

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #623 on: September 07, 2017, 12:51:22 PM »
If these are up for sale, what are you flying these days?
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #624 on: September 07, 2017, 01:53:12 PM »
Hi Brent:

Nothing; I'm retired!  ;D

Bob

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #625 on: September 07, 2017, 02:04:55 PM »
I'm seriously interested, in plans.  Would pay a premium price for this plan..  Any chance of that happening ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #626 on: December 04, 2019, 07:53:53 AM »
I'm bumping this topic to the top because of the many questions I've received about my electric twin projects.

I'm currently building two more very updated electric twins, and will either add to this thread with the progress on them, or start a new thread for them soon.

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #627 on: October 21, 2022, 03:13:05 PM »
I'm bumping this to the top for a friend who asked a lot of questions about the processes included in this topic.

Later - Bob Hunt

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #628 on: October 21, 2022, 05:08:13 PM »
Worth a bump to call attention to post #575, relevant to a recent discussion with Tim Just about twins.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Rick_Huff

« Reply #629 on: October 22, 2022, 02:11:25 PM »
Howard,
Thank you for your chart.  It saved me many very embarrasing experiments!
Rick

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #630 on: October 26, 2022, 07:23:31 AM »
To all who might be reading this thread for the first time (and for the many who followed it from the beginning...), it is probably apparent that I did not go through with my retirement plans. The lure of flying stunt, and even more important the lure of designing new ships and learning more about how to make them fly better, drew me back in for the duration. I have come to the conclusion that the back issues that I've had all my life will never completely go away, and so I've decided to just ignore them and press on; this stunt stuff is just too much fun to let something as trivial as pain stop me from participating.

As many of you may have seen in other threads on this forum, I have been busy producing a few new twins. One is a fixed gear twin named the Wildfire (Crossfire, Wildfire... get it?), and the other one is the Turning Point, which will have retracts. That one is still in the paint shop. The Wildfire is nearing the end of the flight trim process, and my thanks go out here to Rick Huff for the amazing amount of help he provided in getting me up to speed on using the Fiorotti active timer in the twin environment. Thanks also to Saramarie Huff for her great coaching inputs on the trim flights. Thanks also to Tom Huff for providing a great practice field and for introducing me to a small deli near that field that makes the best sandwiches I've ever tasted!

So, along with the "Lost-Sheeting" testbed small twin that is nearing completion, I have three new twins. I'll post some photos of each of them here just for reference.

I am convinced that the twin concept will soon be a major force in competition CL Stunt. A fact substantiated by Rick Huff's Rookie of the Year performance at last year's Nats with his gorgeous BF-110 twin stunter. For the record Rick placed 14th in his first top 20 appearance!

I know that this thread has been long and has covered many years, but it does serve to chronicle the work a few of us have been doing to bring the electric twin to fruition as a weapon for CL Stunt competition. 

Later - Bob Hunt   

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #631 on: October 26, 2022, 07:34:07 AM »
And here are a few photos of the Turning Point twin in the paint shop.

Bob

« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 02:27:10 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #632 on: October 26, 2022, 12:08:14 PM »
I like the tail of the Turning Point and by chance would not retiring  mean you'll be cutting cores for us to buy again?  #^
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #633 on: October 26, 2022, 01:06:14 PM »
It is OK by me if you don't get back into the core business.  We need you innovating not replicating.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #634 on: October 31, 2022, 07:26:54 AM »
I like the tail of the Turning Point and by chance would not retiring  mean you'll be cutting cores for us to buy again?  #^

LOL! Hi Dwayne:

As you probably surmised the "not retiring" comment was meant about my flying career. There is a chance I might get back to cutting cores at some point on a limited basis, and even making Lost-Foam fixture sets with which to make built-up wings, but never covered wings again due to the balsa situation. Balsa of the required density is just not available in any quantity these days, and even if it was available the cost would be astronomical, and that would drive the price of the wings through the roof. I provided covered, sanded and cored out foam core wings to this community for 53 years; it's time for a bit of a rest...

Later - Bob 

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #635 on: May 03, 2023, 11:43:12 AM »
I'm bumping this to the top because of a lot of recent interest in electric twins. There was a discussion on a Monday night At the bench chat that stirred some interest. A lot of the information in this thread is somewhat dated, but most of the construction stuff is still very relevant.

I'm just now finishing up my Turning Point twin, and will be shooting clear on it this coming Friday (5/5). My plan is to have it ready for the upcoming Nats.

Thanks to all who have expressed interest in this thread and in the electric twins that a few of us have built and flown.

Later - Bob Hunt

« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 02:28:12 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #636 on: May 03, 2023, 11:55:18 AM »
Here are two more photos of the Turning Point ready to head for the paint booth to get cleared.

Bob

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #637 on: May 03, 2023, 04:14:02 PM »
Really nice work Bob!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #638 on: May 03, 2023, 04:23:46 PM »
Thanks, Crist!

Bob

Offline John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #639 on: May 03, 2023, 06:12:17 PM »
Ultra Classy Bob.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #640 on: May 03, 2023, 08:33:04 PM »
Bet t looks even better in person.  But, family and knees keep me home plus other stuff. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #641 on: May 12, 2023, 05:30:01 AM »
Bet t looks even better in person.  But, family and knees keep me home plus other stuff. D>K

Hi Doc:

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I get the knee pain stuff for sure. If you ever do get the opportunity to come "East" rest assured you have a place to stay. Be glad to have you here for a few days to build and BS.

Be well old buddy - Bob

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #642 on: May 12, 2023, 01:27:33 PM »
Thanks for the offer Bob, but even if the family let me I would be a pain. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #643 on: May 12, 2023, 03:20:22 PM »
Hey, I'm a pain... Just ask my wife.  ::)

Bob
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 08:20:34 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #644 on: May 16, 2023, 11:15:02 PM »
Looks a bit like a ' Space age ' version of this . Thought the picture a bit evocative .

CRIPES ;

any Volunteers ? .
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 11:38:25 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #645 on: May 18, 2023, 07:45:45 AM »
Whoa! That "lay down" twin looks very interesting Air Ministry. It opens up a bunch of new styling ideas. There are so many looks to be explored and so little time left to design and build them.

I'm actually thinking about just designing a whole bunch of new twins on my existing "mannequin" of "numbers" and let others build them if they are interested. Truth be known, I like designing (or styling if you will...) and building more than I do flying. There are just too many twins that are waiting to be drawn! When the time come, please throw some drafting vellum, a pencil and an eraser into the box with me; that will keep me occupied... LL~ LL~

Later - Bob 

Offline bdt-m

• Lieutenant
« Reply #646 on: June 06, 2023, 07:52:44 AM »
Bob Hunt:

Check your messages.

Thanks

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here