News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:16:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Electric Twin project back on track  (Read 113792 times)

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: New Electric Twin project back on track
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2010, 07:21:01 PM »
Hi Jim:

Well, there will be no engines! There will be, however, motors!  ;D

If you read the above descriptions of the project you will find where I write about making extra long dummy nacelles and then attaching the motors, props and spinners to them to allow me to trim back the length of the nacelles until the proper CG range is achieved. In other words, the nacelles will be the last things to be made and installed before finishing. I'll reattach the photo of the side view of the ship here. That will give you some indication of what the ship will look like with the nacelles attached. Please understand that the photo of the drawing depicts an early rendition of the side view and certain elements have morphed a bit. An example would be the shape of the rudder...

Later - Bob

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2010, 05:50:47 AM »
Quaint CAD system.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2010, 07:45:28 AM »
Hi Howard:

Yes, it's consistent with my foam bricks...

Bob

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2010, 10:15:35 AM »
Wow, drawing on paper with a pencil ... a man after my own heart.

Looks very cool, Bob. Electric twin with retracts. Going after the whole enchilada. I like that.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2010, 11:54:21 AM »
Quaint CAD system.

I'll bet he did all his calucations using a slide rule too..!   S?P  :o  n~  LL~  LL~  LL~

(sheesh, misspelled my own punchline)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 02:08:17 PM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2010, 01:50:10 PM »
Actually it's a sly rule...

Bob

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2010, 06:50:27 PM »
Quaint CAD system.
Okay Gang ...
show of hands here: how many of you working in CAD find that the swoopy curves you draw are somehow limited by what is easy to do with your drawing package?
later,
 Dean P.

Dean Pappas

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
Not limited by CAD, only by ingenuity to create those lines,, mixing ellipses, splines, polylines and arcs you can do pretty good,,,

that said, its pretty easy by comparison to generate a swoopy line,, with a pencil,,

The jpg is a plan I am working on for a classic pattern airplane,, LOTS of swoopy stuff,,

For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2010, 11:05:45 PM »
Hi Mark,

That looks almost like an A-6 Intruder that I have been wanting to build as a stunter since 1969! LOL!! Really!  Haven't even tried to draw one up.......  Would like a 650-660 size plane.  Maybe make it an electric ducted fan job!  With everything else that electric can do, that seems possible!  Would do one of the A-6's that served on the Enterprise while my Dad was on board..  I don't think the planes in the Squadron that he was M&M Officer for would make a stunt ship! LL~ LL~ LL~ (E-2B Hawkeyes  :o )

My heart lies with Scale stunt, but I haven't done one in over 40 years.  I have gotten a P-51"B" (modified from Mr. Hunt's P-51D) almost ready to paint, though.  Just need to replace the compressor.  

My only real "foray" into "design" was taking Bob's Saturn and making it look like Billy's Juno!  But that one has worked out real well!  ;D

Wouldn't know how to boot up a CAD system, but Aaron does.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:16:58 PM by Bill Little »
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2010, 09:12:50 AM »
Bill,
its actually an 80's Dark Side Pattern bird. Old school ballistic pattern. I am rescaling it, reworking the structure, and making it electric , about a 30 sized airframe the way its turning out. I like the fuse so much I may use it for an electric CL stunter,, there is NO straight lines anywhere on the fuse, its cool,, along the era of the Bridi XLT
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2010, 01:11:57 PM »
Ah yes,
I built one of those Aurora from the MK kit. Sweet flyer, and fast too.

Actually, Mark, you are making my point, sort of! Nice tracing of the old Aurora plan ...
The combination of arcs, ellipses, splines and Bezier curves that make up a rakish ":swoop" of the pencil are not always intuitive.
It's the old "when you have a hammer, evrything looks like a nail" syndrome.
Sometimes, but not always, I find myself drawing with pencil and then later mangling those same elements to fit the original pencil drawn vision.
i'm still stuck in the 2-D CAD world for lack of silly-money to do something extravagant like buying a seat of Solidworks, but it sure would be nice to find an economical 3-D package.

I look at the majority of the recently published designs drawn from scratch in CAD, and they do suffer from line-and-ellipse-itis.
Have you noticed this too?
later,
  Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2010, 01:46:49 PM »
I have two drawing boards and will gladly sell one of them!  >:D

I know that CAD is the way of the future (Just like electric...), but I still enjoy drawing those long, swoopy lines on paper and then being able to look at the resulting drawing from many different perspectives to get an idea of what it will really look like. In other words the analog method of drawing still has its place..  y1

Recently I've been working with Bob Kruger, who is becoming very accomplished at making CAD drawings with the swoopy curves intact, and we've worked out a method of producing drawings in which I send him very accurate pencil drawings and then he scans them in and overdraws in CAD. The first of these that the modeling (or stunt) public will see is the Gene Schaffer designed "Oosa-Amma" (The original Stunt Machine - the one before the published one). Bob is doing the CAD plans and we will donate them to PAMPA to run along with an article on the Oosa-Amma that I am writing. I'm building an Oosa-Amma right now to provide some construction photos to go along with the article. I also have quite a few photos of the original plane, which I have just returned to its owner, Andrea Moore. Her husband, Ray Moore obtained the original and had it in his basement at the time of his passing. Andrea graciously lent the model to me to measure and draw.

The Oosa-Amma is Classic legal and is large enough (approximately 625 square inches) to utilize one of Randy's PA 40 R Ultra-Lite engines, and that's exactly what is going in mine. I know that it is politically incorrect to write about glow stuff here... Tough. In fact, I'll post a couple of photos of the original one that Gene designed in 1969. I'll also post a photo or two of some of the components of the one I'm building.

Later - Bob 

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2010, 01:57:47 PM »
Dean,
You dont have any old pattern kits laying around do you? Would LOVE to get my hands on some,, especially the MK ones. I am building my "sport" flying airforce out of this sort of thing, My ugly stick and others are not as much fun to fly as my ballistic style Kaos! and my Pylon racers,,,, by the way its electric,,
The Aurora "30" will be electric too, goal, manuevarable at 100mph, should provide some fun at the club field!

I have noticed a lot of that syndrome, funny thing though, even some manual drafting guys use a lot of ellipse shapes. In tracing the Aurora, virtually all of the formers when traced, related most perfectly to ellipse's. The top formers are perfect ellipse with axis on the wing centerline, the lowers are centered on a sloped line, lower in the back.
Bob, really sorry to hijack your thread, its not right, this is a fantastic effort, I feel bad now, all the ideas I have had for years are coming to reality,, ( in other peoples planes lol)
here is my effort to tie it into your thread,, the Aroura will use a set of the Eflight retracts,, and its electric,, ( does that help?) D>K
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2010, 01:58:31 PM »
Like Mark said, No problem with swoopy lines for me either. I've become quite adept with poly lines. I do use elipses occasionally too.

The nice thing with poly lines is they can be reshaped up to a point, then it's simply a matter of making a new one to use. H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2010, 02:05:53 PM »
I have two drawing boards and will gladly sell one of them!  >:D

I know that CAD is the way of the future (Just like electric...), but I still enjoy drawing those long, swoopy lines on paper and then being able to look at the resulting drawing from many different perspectives to get an idea of what it will really look like. In other words the analog method of drawing still has its place..  y1

Recently I've been working with Bob Kruger, who is becoming very accomplished at making CAD drawings with the swoopy curves intact, and we've worked out a method of producing drawings in which I send him very accurate pencil drawings and then he scans them in and overdraws in CAD. The first of these that the modeling (or stunt) public will see is the Gene Schaffer designed "Oosa-Amma" (The original Stunt Machine - the one before the published one). Bob is doing the CAD plans and we will donate them to PAMPA to run along with an article on the Oosa-Amma that I am writing. I'm building an Oosa-Amma right now to provide some construction photos to go along with the article. I also have quite a few photos of the original plane, which I have just returned to its owner, Andrea Moore. Her husband, Ray Moore obtained the original and had it in his basement at the time of his passing. Andrea graciously lent the model to me to measure and draw.

The Oosa-Amma is Classic legal and is large enough (approximately 625 square inches) to utilize one of Randy's PA 40 R Ultra-Lite engines, and that's exactly what is going in mine. I know that it is politically incorrect to write about glow stuff here... Tough. In fact, I'll post a couple of photos of the original one that Gene designed in 1969. I'll also post a photo or two of some of the components of the one I'm building.

Later - Bob 

Hi Bob,

I really like what you're doing with Gene's planes.  I can't think of a better person for the job!

Is there a whole lot of difference between the "Oosa-Amma" and the "real", not yet published, Stunt machine?  Other than Classic vis a vis Nos. 30 legality?

A few projects are ahead of either right now, but it would be interesting to know the "differences".

I know that it is politically incorrect to write about glow stuff here... Tough.
  LOL!! Being "Second in Command", I can allow a "touch" of lee way on topics in a thread! LOL!!  I can't really figure out what politically correct means, anyway..... 

Can't wait to see the "Dually" in action!

Thanks,
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2010, 02:32:20 PM »
Hi Bill:

Actually there is quite a bit of difference between the Oosa-Amma (or first Stunt Machine) and the actual second Stunt Machine with which we are all familiar. The wing on the Oosa-Amma is much bigger and has less leading edge sweep than the second Stunt Machine. It also has longer moments and, of course, wing gear.

All of this is complicated by the fact that the plans for Stunt Machine that was published in Flying Models were not even remotely accurate to the original second Stunt Machine. Gene never built any model that was close to the plans that were published, but that's a story for another time.

I took great care when doing the drawings for the Oosa-Amma to get the wing airfoil templates dead accurate, as well as getting all the other dimensions dead on accurate. The only slight liberty I took was to increase the fuselage width at the elevator horn location just slightly to allow the use of modern horns with ball links. We are talking about a very minute change here and not one that makes this a better flying ship or one that looks different than the original. Every other dimension is exact!

Hopefully we will be presenting the Oosa Amma article in Stunt News by spring. It can be powered with anything from an Aero Tiger .36 to any of the light case .40 engines out there. It could (could, mind you) be electric powered! There, I brought this back to electric.... ;)

Later - Bob 

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2010, 02:39:24 PM »
I'll taunt Bob later ...
Funny about that Mark ... I was gonna ask you!
I did just recently score a kit of the old Kirkland Mustang 40X and was grovelling around to see if anyone has a reasonably fresh Tigre 46 they'd part with so I can make it "authentic" for nostalgia Pattern.
I just can't bring myself to electrify that one!

later,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2010, 03:06:56 PM »
LOL, There is a guy in California who is re-popping a bunch of the classic kits, among them is the Aurora, glass fuse, foam wing.

I have an HP 40 that needs a ring? or hmmm
I have a line on a 40 size Mach one that is haunting me,,
The Aurora I am redrawing is slated for laser cutting, then kits will be available with the glass belly pan, I am trying to engineer it so that both Glow and electric are feasible,, its a challenge. right now looking at a Hacker A30 on 4S 3000 mah packs. 500 in^2 and goal is less than 4 pounds using average wood. the only block will be at the vertical stab to fuse turtle deck transition. everything else will be molded balsa over formers instead of the standard MK machined blocks to carve.

I have a preflown glass fuse 60 sized pattern ship. No one seems to be able to tell me what it is. Looks a lot like a Dirty birdy, with anhedryl, but the canopy has a flatspot on the front,, sigh,,
It WONT be electric,, I have the Rossi helicopter engine with pipe to  put back in it after its refinished,,,

hmm how to bring it back on track again,, uh,, oh several other MK kits are in the works for resupply, in the 20 to 25 size, makes them very affordable for electric conversions,,
 H^^
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2010, 03:14:32 PM »
If I ever get good enough with a CAD program to do swoopy lines, that would be cool, but but for now, I do my swoops with a pencil.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2010, 07:22:30 PM »
PT Granderson is the master of the swoopy line.  His name came up Sunday.  John Witt brought his electric ARC Impact over to show us.  He parked it under my glass coffee table.  The table has a curved, beveled edge, and the several overhead lights cast swoopy lines on the monochromatic plastic wing covering.  We agreed that it looked Grandersonian, and pictures were taken so the effect could be reproduced in the trim scheme. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2010, 07:43:04 PM »
Okay Gang ...
show of hands here: how many of you working in CAD find that the swoopy curves you draw are somehow limited by what is easy to do with your drawing package?
later,
 Dean P.

Hi Dean

There is no limit to drawing curves, all curves, elipses etc.. and lines can be drawn in AutoCad and many many other CAD and Draw programs, I have very nice curves in my Eliptical Ships

Regards
Randy

Offline ptg

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2010, 08:17:37 PM »
Just a couple of the many 'swoopy doodles' in my puter.  I use a drawing program not CAD.  Can do very accurate drawings such as the Elroy's template for motor mount with cooling holes.
PT Granderson

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2010, 08:28:50 PM »
Just a couple of the many 'swoopy doodles' in my puter.  I use a drawing program not CAD.  Can do very accurate drawings such as the Elroy's template for motor mount with cooling holes.

Hi Phil,

I can use coreldraw pretty good, but I just don't have a clue as to what to "draw" when it come to Stunt Planes!  LOL!!  And I started out in college as an Art major.  hmmmmmmm middle linebacker/art major.  yep I got some strange looks! LOL!!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2010, 09:41:30 AM »
Hi Dean

There is no limit to drawing curves, all curves, elipses etc.. and lines can be drawn in AutoCad and many many other CAD and Draw programs, I have very nice curves in my Eliptical Ships

Regards
Randy

Hi Randy,
Of course there is no limit, just a little effort required; but what I am talking about is how what is convenient has a subtle (and maybe unwelcome) influence on what gets drawn so often. I actually keep an old Windows 95/ "ME" machine alive just so that I can run my old copy of Visual Cad as well as Autocad, because VC has some killer curve drawing facilities, intended for use in cam drawing.

P.S. look for a PM

later,
   Dean
Dean Pappas

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2010, 12:21:49 PM »
I use Visual CADD 4.0 on XP, but I draw no swoopy lines. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2010, 05:37:54 PM »
Looking good bubba. Will it be ready for 2011 Nats?
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2010, 08:05:41 PM »
Hi PJ:

You bet! I also have a new Crossfire that will be ready, so one or the other will be my "ride" in Muncie this coming year. Looking forward to spending some time with you. Robby has really enjoyed the email chats and perhaps I can get him to come out with me to the Nats.

I'm attching a shot of the new Crossfire Extreme that was taken a while back. It's in paint trim mode now...

Later - Bob

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2010, 10:48:37 PM »
I've always loved the Crossfire, Bob.

Aaron has been texting back and forth with Robby quite a bit, so hopefully you can get him out to the NATS.

I don't know if you are aware of the "shock" Aaron, and i, am about to receive..........

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2010, 02:58:33 PM »
Bob,

But I miss the tail cone pipe exit on the bottom.  It looked cool.  :'(
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2010, 08:53:55 PM »
Gday bob.

Crossfire looks good - I cant wait to get over there - there is plenty I gotta tell you so defenetly pencil in a beer or few.. ive been trying to convince robby to get his bum off campus and join us for fun and games at the Nats. Who knows.... :)

He cant hide behind that wrist forever.

One slight drift, I saw you dominated the VSC - will you be flying in classic at the Nats?? Im at painting stage of my brand new purpose build classic beast. Its going to be one heck of a contest.

Look forward to more pics leading up to the contest. Ta ta

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2010, 09:02:57 PM »
Hi PJ:

I don't think I will be flying Classic at this year's (Next year's...) Nats, but that may change as I have a brand new Classic ship alomost ready to go into one piece. My main focus this year will be on making the twin fly competitively.

Looking forward to our chat. As we say over here, "Let's do lunch!"

Later - Bob

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2010, 03:41:52 AM »
Hiya bob : See you there..

I think its smart you dont compete in Classic.  S?P You need to put all your focus on getting that Twin running, as always you will be prepared and it will be world class. Just dip your toe in the water with the twin, then after that go for a 4'er...

Keep us all posted so to speak ENJOY NYE Everyone.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2011, 06:47:15 PM »
 Bob,

Just wondering, on your new electric models here do you still plan to use dope finishes or?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2011, 05:22:45 AM »
Hi Wayne:

Well, I've been using a variety of finishing materials on my models for many years; even way before electric was on the horizon...

I have in the past used a dope base with .2 carbon fiber mat applied with dope. Then I typically use a dope based filler using Aero Products' Aero 1 filler (Finely ground Zinc Stearate). After sanding that I use a blocking coat made up of Polar Gray and White dope. Any flaws get addressed at that point as the blocking coat is sanded. Then I apply another, very thin coat of the blocking material. At this point in the past I've used White dope as the base coat for my models. This is changing now, as I have found the Base Coat/Clear Coat automotive systems (Specifically DuPont Chromabase) allow me to apply a very light (in weight...) color coat. This stuff covers in a whisper coat!

I've used, and will continue to use, a catalyzed urethane clear. With the DuPont paint I'll use the companion Chromabase clear. This stuff should only be used if you have all the necessary safety equipment and isolated environment in which to use it properly. Nuff said on that!

In the future I will be changing my finishing procedure somewhat and I'll publish about that when I confirm that it is viable and successful.

Later - Bob       

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2011, 08:06:51 AM »
The base coat/clear coat systems for the color make painting a model a whole lot easier!  And it is much lighter!  Only problem I have seen is putting on the clear to "heavy".
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2011, 09:40:56 PM »
 Pretty quiet here, what's the latest Bob?

Wayne Willey

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2011, 11:54:27 PM »
Pretty quiet here, what's the latest Bob?

Hi Wayne,

I just talked to Bob today. His plate is too full right now to work on his twin as much as he would like to. Between working on our PAMPA STUNT NEWS MAGAZINE around 45 hours per month, and running two businesses, I can't imagine where he finds time to even touch his own models. But knowing Bob, he will somehow find the time and provide us with another progress report soon. I think we all owe Bob a lot for making the PAMPA SN such a great magazine that we all enjoy throughout the year. I am always amazed at how much time he donates to the PAMPA project on our behalf. Without his 45 hours per month volunteer work we would not have such a wonderful periodical and Bob would have the time to finish his twin much sooner.

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2011, 07:25:39 PM »
Hi Wayne,

I just talked to Bob today. His plate is too full right now to work on his twin as much as he would like to. Between working on our PAMPA STUNT NEWS MAGAZINE around 45 hours per month, and running two businesses, I can't imagine where he finds time to even touch his own models. But knowing Bob, he will somehow find the time and provide us with another progress report soon. I think we all owe Bob a lot for making the PAMPA SN such a great magazine that we all enjoy throughout the year. I am always amazed at how much time he donates to the PAMPA project on our behalf. Without his 45 hours per month volunteer work we would not have such a wonderful periodical and Bob would have the time to finish his twin much sooner.

Regards,  H^^

Points taken Rudy and all is good, just curious what the latest is on this exciting project. And yes, It's more important to me as well to see my next Stunt News finished with it's typical great content an arrive on time.

Thanks Bob! H^^

Wayne Willey

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2011, 07:45:39 PM »
I have no clue how Bob does it.  I believe he has actually cracked Einstein's theory and has set times where he turns the hands of his own clock back! ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2011, 10:45:45 PM »
Einstein said that time exist so that everything doesn't happen at once. Maybe Bob's found a way to do everything at once.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2011, 12:50:56 AM »
Einstein also said that if you are very quick, the time goes somehow slower  ;D

Online Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2011, 06:29:09 AM »
edit: sorry I did a mistake and posted message in wrong thread  ~^ ... it had to be in "early christmass"
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:00:27 AM by Igor Burger »

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2011, 09:45:58 AM »
flying under too low ceing

and over too high ground :- )))))

CLP** BW@
Don Shultz

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2011, 09:06:54 PM »
Okay, we're back on track once again! I had to wait until I received the motors and the remainder of the retract units to make a pair of dummy/mock-up nacelles and figure out just where the CG will reside with everything on board. I put the battery in the middle of its adjustment range and put the nose gear retract unit in its well. I then taped the other retract units to the bottom of the dummy nacelles and also taped the two Horizon E-Flite Power 10 motors into the slots on the nacelles. I moved the motors fore and aft to achieve a CG that is just slightly nose heavy. I figure that the majority of the finish will go on aft of the CG and so the model should balance perfectly with no additional weight needed anywhere. The battery can be adjusted fore and aft over a two-inch range and that should be enough to compensate for any slight miscalculations.

Tomorrow night I begin designing the actual built-up nacelles and then start building them. Hopefully that will only take a few evenings and I can get this thing into final finish mode before leaving for VSC. By the way, the weight of the model with the battery, the motors and the retract units on board as pictured is 46 ounces! I should be able to bring this puppy in south of 60 ounces! I was planning on 63 ounces. That equates to a 57 ounce glow model without fuel on board. At, say, 58 ounces it equates to a 52 ounce glow ship without the fuel on board. On 670 square inches and with all that disc area, I should have a really buoyant ship here!

I'll post again when the real nacelles are under construction.

Later - Bob Hunt
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 06:03:13 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2011, 09:38:22 PM »
 Lookin' good. y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2011, 09:57:43 PM »
Yes ...
Mongo like!
   Dean
Dean Pappas

Dwayne

« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2011, 05:24:21 AM »
Bob,

But I miss the tail cone pipe exit on the bottom.  It looked cool.  :'(

Ditto... y1 #^

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2011, 10:08:23 AM »
Sweet!  BTW: what are you using to attach your CF veil?

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2011, 10:11:15 AM »
Yes ...
Mongo like!
   Dean

hi Dean, I totally agree!

BTW:  On our NASCAR team they nicknamed me "Mongo" for some odd reason.......... there is actually a story about that one.... LL~  LL~

Big Bear
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:32:45 AM by Bill Little »
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2011, 11:25:16 AM »
Looking at the photo of the model, there is room for a 3rd motor in the nose..... LL~ VD~ S?P
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here