News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:29:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Electric Twin project back on track  (Read 114822 times)

Offline Dean Pappas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: New Electric Twin project back on track
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2011, 10:02:15 PM »
Hello Gang,
Hello Keith,
The more things progress, the more the basics don't change!
Stunters require between 0.6 and 0.7 Watt-hours of energy per ounce of weight to fly the entire schedule. An additional 33% of energy capacity is needed so that the battery is only 75% depleted.
Soo, if Bob builds the COIN/Second Wind/Passed Wind at 58 ounces, then it will require 37.7 Watt-hours to fly the schedule. (I used 0.65)
If he runs a 4S pack at 14.4V then this will result in 2.6 Amp-hours of consumption over 6 minutes. The average current will be 26Amps because 6 minutes is 1/10 hour.
The battery should be 3.5 Amp-hour capacity for safe margin, but some of us will be tempted to run the 3.3 Amp-hour battery at 80% capacity for the weight savings.

One prop ... two props ... three props with contra rotation thrown in, it's simply an energetics problem.
The plane and lines offer drag which depends largely on lap time, and the motor has to drag the ship's weight to the top of the circle the customary number of times per schedule.
Okay, contra-rotating prop assemblies would offer an improvement in efficiency!

Sorry if the math is boring,
  Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2011, 09:52:34 AM »
Bobby is so great.  I talked to him at VSC a little.  Too many people at times to converse.  He told me he is completely sold on electric.   I guess being able to fly in the neighborhood at 0700 hours is good.  Yes he won Classic again and after the banquet he stated he was told to not bring the same plane again.   I think he said it was 9 years old.   After my experience again with needle settings maybe electric might be the way to go for all out competition.   But, I still like the sound of a good engine run in stunt.  I was kind of startled when the electric entry in Classic cast a shadow as it flew over head(really I was outside the circle).  I didn't even hear the prop noise.  But, Bob asked if I had been keeping up on this twin build.  That is why I am here reading it again on Sunday morn before Church.  Also waiting for the final result of his Oosama plane(chech spelling)  could be Usaama.    He is a power house and his little talk after receiving the Keeper Of The Flame Award was inspiring.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2011, 12:50:30 PM »
yep Doc,

It was "USA" on the inboard wing, and "AMA" on the outboard!

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2011, 10:38:23 AM »
Bobby is so great.  I talked to him at VSC a little.  Too many people at times to converse.  He told me he is completely sold on electric.   I guess being able to fly in the neighborhood at 0700 hours is good.  Yes he won Classic again and after the banquet he stated he was told to not bring the same plane again.   I think he said it was 9 years old.   After my experience again with needle settings maybe electric might be the way to go for all out competition.   But, I still like the sound of a good engine run in stunt.  I was kind of startled when the electric entry in Classic cast a shadow as it flew over head(really I was outside the circle).  I didn't even hear the prop noise.  But, Bob asked if I had been keeping up on this twin build.  That is why I am here reading it again on Sunday morn before Church.  Also waiting for the final result of his Oosama plane(chech spelling)  could be Usaama.    He is a power house and his little talk after receiving the Keeper Of The Flame Award was inspiring.   

It's Bob that doesn't cast a shadow.  You didn't see him near any mirrors, did you?  Same deal; he doesn't show up in mirrors. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #154 on: March 29, 2011, 06:45:53 AM »
Hi Howard:

That might have something to do with my cousin, Bram Stoker... :-\

Bob Hunt

PS: Thanks, Doc, for the kind words. Was great to see you again in Tucson. - Bob

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #155 on: April 04, 2011, 10:44:15 AM »
Okay, VSC is over and I'm getting caught up on wing orders at RVP, so it's time to get back to the electric twin, Second Wind!

I've fitted the blocks to the nacelles and even carved and sanded the top blocks on each nacelle. The bottom blocks were tack glued on last night and I carved and sanded one of them to near final shape. The other one was left un-carved to show the sequence of the work.

I cut the intake shape pieces from 1/64 plywood and then glued them permanently to the front of the cowl and right on the center line. I carve and sand to conform to the ply pieces and then remove the blocks and hollow them out and then open the hole in the plywood pieces and leave about a 1/32-inch wall to hold the edge of the opening and keep it clean. I should be able to get all of that done tonight.

I couldn't resist placing the nacelles in their approximate position of the wing for a mock-up photo or two. Seeing what it is going to look like keeps me going!

Enjoy the photos – Bob Hunt 

Offline Airacobra

• Commander
« Reply #156 on: April 04, 2011, 12:52:22 PM »
I love to catch up on this thread Bob. I am excited to see each progression you make on this bird and I can't wait to see the final product. It certainly won't be your average stunter that's for sure.
Keith Bryant

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #157 on: April 04, 2011, 01:55:35 PM »
Thanks, Keith:

Yeah, I'll be very upset if someone asks me if it's a modified Nobler... :-\

Bob

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #158 on: April 04, 2011, 03:54:25 PM »
Thanks, Keith:

Yeah, I'll be very upset if someone asks me if it's a modified Nobler... :-\

Bob
anybody in their right mind can see that its a modified fancherized twister,, I mean come on! really,, sheesh,,,, LL~

seriously, it looks really sharp
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #159 on: April 04, 2011, 05:05:11 PM »
Looking absolutely FANTASTIC Bob!!!!  Keep the pictures coming!
Matt Colan

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2011, 05:22:09 PM »
Boldly going where no one has gone before...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
It's a twin. So, it is obviously a modified DC-3!

Looking great Bob. Keep the pictures coming.
AMA 7544

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2011, 06:05:33 PM »
"Boldly going where no one has gone before..."

Yeah, kind of like Evil Knievel... right off a cliff!  :)

Seriously, thanks for the comments. The thing that really has me spooked is that this has been perhaps the easiest and most trouble free build I've had in years. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I just finished carving and sanding the other nacelle bottom block. The next step will be to hollow the blocks and permanently attach the nacelles to the wing. I'm going to cover the wings first with polyspan. I want the covering to run under the nacelles where they attach to the wing for added strength. I really wanted to use silkspan for covering but I don't trust the old stuff that I have to not be rotten (It's made from vegetable fiber you know...), and the new stuff just sucks! The next twin will be a foamer for sure so that I can cover the entire wing with thin balsa and not have to deal with any covering material except the .2 carbon mat.

Hopefully I'll be able to attach the nacelles to the wing by early next week. Then it's just a matter of gluing the hollowed top blocks on the nacelles and installing the retract mounts. After that I'll make the main gear struts and get the mains retracting through appropriate wheel well openings. Then I can install the strut into the nosewheel retract unit and set the proper angle of stance. After that I can open the lower front fuselage shell and get the nosewheel retracting properly through it. After that its just a matter of fitting the lower front shell to the fuselage properly, fitting the upper forward hatch properly and making the nose cone and fitting it. Sounds like a lot, but it should only take a few days after the nacelles are glued on.

Perhaps the biggest job will be making the fixture that will hold both nacelles in perfect alignment as they are fitted to the wing.

I'm learning a lot on this project and I've already sketched out the next twin. It will make this one look like a boxcar! ;)

Later - Bob    

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #163 on: April 05, 2011, 03:57:24 AM »
Looking smooth..

Must be easy being bob hunt........ cruise out win the vsc for the hundredth time, float home, keep working on a simple little project, electric twin with full retract system, and be as cool as ice doing it.

Pure class all the way.  y1

When do you hope to :

A: Start the paint prep work
B: Have it buttoned up for Pre-flight ?

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #164 on: April 05, 2011, 05:42:20 AM »
Hi PJ:

Ouch! My sides are aching from laughing so much over your post. My publicist must be doing his job if that's the perception people have of me. "Cool as ice" has never been a phrase that has been attached to me at any point during my modeling career. Trust me, I'm a train wreck that just happens to keep wrecking in a productive direction. None of this stuff is easy or even planned; it just sort of happens. I'm stubborn to be sure.

I've been meaning to post a note about your Pit Bull. That's a great look. It has the appearance of compact power and I predict that it will start a new design trend. In fact, I've already started sketching a similar ship with my own touches. I will, of course, take full credit for it as an original "look."  >:D If we only had time to build all the cool stuff we dream up...

One thing I just have to build (probably next) is a Mig 3 that I designed in the early 1990's. It has a wicked look (sort of like the Pit Bull), but it really needs to be built with retracts to achieve the proper effect. The nose shape also cries out for an electric motor so that a big old cylinder head doesn't stick down and ruin the subtle and sleek contours there. With the advent of the E-Flite retracts and Will's new retract timer system that includes a retract sequencing function, this is a cinch. This will be, of course, a "What it should have looked like" semi-scale model, not an AL Rabe "Make it look as real as possible" approach. Of course the retracts also make possible a very slick looking F-105 Thunderchief with drop tanks... Not enough hours left before the finish line... :-[  

Every morning I get up and pinch myself just to be sure I'm really awake and that electric power for stunt was not just a dream. This is by far the most exciting development I've ever seen in the hobby. The possibilities are virtually endless. The challenge will be to be first in trying out each new configuration.

Later - Bob Hunt      

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #165 on: April 05, 2011, 10:38:37 AM »
HAHA ;)

I'm not really that familiar with the retracts thing - interms of how they intergrate with a model - so It will be interesting to see how they work with your twin and to see them 1st hand.

The perception I get (about you ) is from seeing the work - it looks orderly, organized, clean and consise - with a very slow deliberate methodical approach. Like you have all the time in the world to get things done! - I havent even painted my Nats model yet and I feel Im the only one "behind"

Re: the Pitbull - Thanks :) - Its what dad is going to fly in advanced - he likes it - As i wrote - its basically a nobler slightly modified with more of today's thinking design wise.

Hey you can credit a new design revolution .... and steal that from me - after all I stole - blatently I might add the caprice colour scheme just in Green /gold  ;D

I often check out this thread - Seeing this ship fly at the Nats is certainly in my top 3 things I want to do a the Nats.

Keep it up ,you continue to inspire everyone.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #166 on: April 07, 2011, 05:10:24 PM »
Like I said before, Bob has finally worked out how to implement Einstein's theory of time......... it just slows down for him. ;D 

Watching this project (and knowing that it will be successful beforehand!) is a joy.  Everyone knows to look out when Bob gets dedicated to something. y1

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #167 on: April 19, 2011, 03:24:53 PM »
I got a lot done this week on the “Second Wind” twin project. I finished carving and sanding the nacelles and hollowed the blocks. The main thing that has been on my mind throughout this project is how would I accurately mount the nacelles to the wing? I wanted to insure that they would be accurate to each other and also accurate in respect to the rest of the airframe.

In looking at the nacelles I realized that there was a rectangular opening at the bottom of the nacelle crutches. I figured that I could make rectangular pieces of foam onto which I could mount the nacelles and then in turn mount the foam rectangles to a base board in the correct location for perfect alignment to each other.

In order to insure that the thrust line was parallel to the centerline of the airplane I used the fixture pieces that I made to align the motor mount plates to the nacelles and blocked them up to the appropriate height and the angled scribed lines on the foam rectangles in the proper locations. Then I glued pieces of wood to the sides of the foam rectangles along those scribed lines. When all of that was done I could simply drop the nacelles onto the foam rectangles and the bottoms of the nacelle sides would rest atop the angled pieces of wood and hold the nacelles in perfect alignment.

Next I measured the width of the fuselage at the front and back of the wing and halved that dimension. I marked either side of the centerline on the fixture with those dimensions and also computed how far aft the back face of the wing trailing edge was from the rear face of the rearmost nacelle former. I scribed a pen line across the fixture at that point to allow me to adjust the top view “skew.”

I know all this sounds a bit complicated, but it is not. My friend, Buddy Wieder and I engineered and built this entire assembly fixture in about two hours and had the airframe sitting in place for a final fit. We adjusted the airframe as required and measured all around several times to insure that the entire airplane was in virtually perfect alignment. It was accurate all around to well within 1/64 inch.

I will now finish working on the nacelles by installing the lower front chin pieces with the cooling baffles and installing all the required holdowns to the lower removable nacelle pieces that will cover the retract units. I’ll even dope and carbon the nacelles before placing them atop the fixture pieces and realigning the airframe atop them for permanent assembly.

The accompanying photos should make all of this clear. Hey, this is fun!

Bob Hunt   

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #168 on: April 19, 2011, 03:30:42 PM »
And, just to be fair, here's one with Buddy Wieder and the Second Wind. Buddy helped me in engineering and making the assembly fixture. It's not fair, however, as he has hair!  ''

Bob Hunt

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #169 on: April 19, 2011, 03:32:24 PM »
Atsa nice!
Glad to see you put Buddy to work!
  Dean
Dean Pappas

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #170 on: April 19, 2011, 03:37:29 PM »
Hi Howard:

That might have something to do with my cousin, Bram Stoker... :-\

Bob Hunt

PS: Thanks, Doc, for the kind words. Was great to see you again in Tucson. - Bob

Stoker or Stroker??

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #171 on: April 19, 2011, 06:16:17 PM »
 Very cool plane Bob and it's looking great. Looks like most of the "hard" work is done. Glad to see your back on it. What's your timeframe goal to have it done?

I also caught your Mig 3 mention above. I've always thought that plane would make a super cool model but yeah, gotta keep that sleek nose to have it look "right". y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #172 on: April 19, 2011, 06:23:41 PM »
What's your timeframe goal to have it done?

4th July I would imagine :)  y1

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #173 on: April 19, 2011, 06:27:16 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, Wayne. I'm hoping to be into finish by the end of next week. I'm pretty energized by getting past the problem of accurately mounting the nacelles. Hopefully I will be able to keep the juices flowing right on through finishing.

Phil Granderson gave me a great paint trimming idea that picks up many of the cues from my Genesis and Caprice schemes. Yes, there will be some bronze on it!  y1

The Mig 3 just may be the next one up on the bench, although I am starting to like the looks of twins! We'll see. If I do build the Mig, it will have retracts!

Later - Bob  

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2011, 06:01:26 AM »
Twins are a great place to cut your teeth for the more serious multiengine stunters your 1/2 way there.

It looks GREAT - really really impressive- as far as design ,style and cues are concerned, its the best looking most stylish twin I've even seen. ( ive seen a few)

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2011, 06:30:57 AM »
Thanks, PJ, I think...

I'm pretty sure that I'll be happy to stay with twins for a while, although I have given some thought to a tri-motor set-up with counter-rotating props on the motors in the nacelles on the wing and contra-rotating props on two motors in the fuselage (four motors and four props...). Of course a dual pusher-puller contra-rotating setup on the wing (front and back...) one contra-rotating setup in the nose of the fuselage (if you are counting, that would be ten separate motors and props...) might be a doable option.

Yes, the men in the white coats are scheduled to arrive at any moment... n~

Later - Bob

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2011, 06:39:50 AM »
Looking very good Bob. 
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #177 on: April 22, 2011, 07:15:28 PM »
It was meant as a compliment....

Most twins I've seen were scale style jobs...... the french twin at the worlds.. windys' twin's - and a few other twins which escape my mind ( Gordon delaney perhaps... I cant QUITE recall.. ) I think it was called Too much - or Too trouble... Soryr for being vague on that.

What i mean was classical AMA Stunt ships have flowing lines and stylish cue's this is the first time I've seen a twin that takes its styling lines from classical ship shapes. - Very impressive.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #178 on: April 22, 2011, 07:43:18 PM »

I'm pretty sure that I'll be happy to stay with twins for a while, although I have given some thought to a tri-motor set-up with counter-rotating props on the motors in the nacelles on the wing and contra-rotating props on two motors in the fuselage (four motors and four props...). Of course a dual pusher-puller contra-rotating setup on the wing (front and back...) one contra-rotating setup in the nose of the fuselage (if you are counting, that would be ten separate motors and props...) might be a doable option.

I want to see someone try to launch that one! ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2011, 08:56:43 AM »
Okay, over the weekend I got a bit done on the Second Wind.

I decided to do as much as possible on the nacelles before installing them on the airframe. I figured that it is much easier to do intricate work on such small parts with them off the airplane. I installed the forward chin pieces with the airscoop openings completed (Done in the same manner as the cowling I used as an example in my recent MA CL Stunt column...), and applied three coats of dope to the nacelles. Last night I covered the nacelles with .2 carbon mat, applied with very this dope. This morning I lightly sanded the carbon and applied another coat of dope.

I put the nacelles onto the alignment fixture and slid the airframe in place for some progress report photos. Note the lower cowl pieces that are positioned in front of the airplane. Obviously, with the nacelles on the alignment fixture, I could not also install the cowl pieces. Trust me; they fit very nicely!

I also stuck on a rough template of the possible nose block shape. The jury is still out on that shape and size, and I will try several different shapes until one just "jumps out at me."

Both Phil Granderson and Steve Buso came to the rescue with some "good" 00 silkspan, and tonight I will cover the outer wing panels. As soon as they are covered and have had a few coats of dope applied, I'll permanently mount the nacelles and install the main gear retract mounts. The nose gear retract mount is already in.

After that it is just a matter of cutting a nose gear strut and wheel clearance hole in the lower nose shell and also cutting clearance holes for the main gear struts and wheels in the lower nacelle cowl blocks. The last things that will be required before all out finishing can proceed is to decide on a nose block shape and carve and hollow that and then fit the forward top access hatch with the simulated forward canopy section in place and install hold down magnets or screws. (I lean toward screws for added security...)

If all goes as planned, I'll be into finish by the weekend!

Later - Bob Hunt    

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2011, 09:06:53 AM »
Here's one more photo of the carboned outboard nacelle. You can see the caowl opening shape in this shot.

Later - Bob

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2011, 10:56:48 AM »
Great build sequence Bob. I like your solution for aligning the nacells. You are absolutly corect in paying great attention to the alignments with multi engined stunters.

Gordan came up with a method for doing the alignment, that was slightly different, but worked fine. I don't think his twin would have flown as well if the alignments weren't right.  H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2011, 07:10:32 AM »
It was meant as a compliment....

Most twins I've seen were scale style jobs...... the french twin at the worlds.. windys' twin's - and a few other twins which escape my mind ( Gordon delaney perhaps... I cant QUITE recall.. ) I think it was called Too much - or Too trouble... Soryr for being vague on that.

What i mean was classical AMA Stunt ships have flowing lines and stylish cue's this is the first time I've seen a twin that takes its styling lines from classical ship shapes. - Very impressive.

Yup, I know it was a compliment; I just have a weird sense of humor - perhaps, warped is a better word...  %^@

I had the same feeling about twin design; I always thought that we could "stretch" classic stunt design cues onto a twin format. While this one is satisfying to me aesthetically, I have since come up with a few sketches for what I believe are far better looking examples of that notion. Alas, there are only so many hours in the day!

Looking forward greatly to our dinner at the Nats and to chatting with you about "stuff." 

I got the wing outer bays covered last night with "00" silkspan. I almost went the Polyspan route, but I was able to get some good, "old" silkspan, so I decided to just one more time go with "paper." It's a recapturing of youth kind of thing... :-\

By the way, my good friend, Rich Giacobone gave me a bunch of Kim Chi jars (Kim Chi is a type of Korean Cole Slaw) that have extremely wide openings. They are just perfect for our use as dope jars. It's very easy to fill the brush and clear the top of the jar.

Later - Bob   

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2011, 09:01:15 AM »
Looks like some "seckret potion" you got in that there jar.

Seriously now, you use nitrate or buty to attach the carbon fibre ?  
Also can cf be worked around compound curve wingtips (and your nacells in this case), or do you have to piece it ?  
Would there be any benefit to putting a layer of cf on top of the silkspan, or is that a bad idea ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2011, 09:22:02 AM »
Bob,
What's the little note pad for on the bottom of the holding fixture?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2011, 09:23:17 AM »
Hi Allan:

Well, I used to use nothing but nitrate dope to attach the carbon and the silkspan, but I had a bad batch or something one time and it scared me back to butyrate, and I've been very happy since. I do custom "adjust" the shrink of the butyrate with a plasticizer (I use Dave Brown's Flexall). That's a trick that Billy Werwage taught me...

I find that the carbon will go around a moderate compound curve, but will require slicing and overlaying if the curve gets too extreme. No worries as you can easily sand any overlap humps out. I like it way better than silkspan for solid surfaces for just that reason. If you overlap silkspan you will have a hard time making the surface smooth again with no overlaps showing.

I do not see any need to put CF over the silkspan on the covered wing. I do, however, carbon the entire wing prior to covering with silkspan. I remove the carbon from the open bay areas by sanding against the edges of the cap strips and the wing framing (LE and TE sheeting) to insure that there are no "sharp" edges that might later cut though the silkspan. The carbon adds very little in weight and it adds tremendous strength. I know that others do not believe that the carbon adds much strength. I feel that it adds a lot of torsional rigidity to the airframe. I also feel that all the planes I've covered with the .2 ounce carbon mat fly better in the wind than did models that I've owned that were not carbon covered. The carbon adds much stiffness.

Later - Bob Hunt  

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2011, 09:28:26 AM »
Bob,
What's the little note pad for on the bottom of the holding fixture?

You are very observant, Crist!

I used to use this fixture to hold my electric Genesis Extreme at the field for changing batteries (it was a bottom loader then - I've since changed it to a top loader...). Back then I was using a proprietary timer/sequencer that Dean Pappas and Andy Kunz had designed. It had specific scripts that could be loaded loaded into it to time and sequence the motor run. The little pad was actually a clear plastic protector that allowed me to slip in a sheet of paper that contained the script that was currently in the plane. It was just a reminder.

With the advent of Will Hubin's wonderful timer and programmer, this is now not necessary. Thank you once again, Will!

Later - Bob Hunt  
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:03:16 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2011, 09:59:18 AM »
Ahh, I see.  I usually keep notes on where I am in regards of how many coats of dope have been applied, etc.  The older I get the more notes I use.   H^^
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:39:33 AM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2011, 10:04:08 AM »
Wow! That's a great idea! Now I can use that little protector again!

Bob

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2011, 12:26:54 PM »
I do not see any need to put CF over the silkspan on the covered wing. I do, however, carbon the entire wing prior to covering with silkspan. I remove the carbon from the open bay areas by sanding against the edges of the cap strips and the wing framing (LE and TE sheeting) to insure that there are no "sharp" edges that might later cut though the silkspan. The carbon adds very little in weight and it adds tremendous strength. I know that others do not believe that the carbon adds much strength. I feel that it adds a lot of torsional rigidity to the airframe. I also feel that all the planes I've covered with the .2 ounce carbon mat fly better in the wind than did models that I've owned that were not carbon covered. The carbon adds much stiffness.
Later - Bob Hunt  
I was thinking a layer of cf on top of the silkspan would add a lot of puncture resistance for a small weight gain.  I recently got careless while handling one of my models and poked a hole in it, and it is covered with polyspan (regular)..      I tried the lite version of polyspan a while back after talking with you, but I didnt like it.  Took too many coats to get it filled, seemed like more work for little if any weight saving.   Why did you choose silkspan for the twin vs polyspan ? 
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2011, 01:38:47 PM »
Hi Allan:

I'm pretty sure you would be sorry that you covered over silkspan or Polyspan with carbon. However, if you do try it and it works out for you, please report on it here!  y1

I used silkspan over Polyspan just because I've had good results with the "old" silkspan and wanted to do it just one more time. The new stuff just stinks! It is weaker than the old stuff and sags with each coat of dope. Yes, it usually pulls up tight, but it scares me.

New stuff: I just finished installing the nacelles permanently. Before I glued them on in the fixture that Buddy Wieder and I made, I opened the holes to access the balsa tube that is nestled in the leading edge of the cuffed section. I made the holes larger enough to allow an Ultra Deans connector to pass through easily. The wire harnesses for the motors and the main gear retracts will pass through these holes.

Tomorrow I can start installing the main gear retract mounts.

Getting close!  #^

Bob 

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #191 on: April 26, 2011, 03:42:24 PM »
Bob this plane is so cool to read about and all the cool things about it!!!  I'm really anxious to hear how the gear are going to retract!  #^
Matt Colan

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2011, 05:02:29 PM »

By the way, my good friend, Rich Giacobone gave me a bunch of Kim Chi jars (Kim Chi is a type of Korean Cole Slaw) that have extremely wide openings. They are just perfect for our use as dope jars. It's very easy to fill the brush and clear the top of the jar.

Later - Bob   

[/quote]

Bob,
That particular jar held a medium sized radish "kimchi".  A lot chunkier than cole slaw, plenty of spice and pretty delicious.
John
John Paris

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2011, 05:19:12 PM »
Hi Matt:

Thanks for the comments; I like seeing the photos of your new ship, too!

The retracts for this one are very simple. The mains retract forward into the nacelles and the wheel nestles just in front of and slightly below the leading edge. There is about 1/8 inch clearance between the wheel and the wing when retracted. The nose gear goes straight back. I will have narrow fairings on the gear legs to give them some shape (Nothing more unsightly than a piece of plain music wire sticking down...) and small doors that will fit into the opening after the gear is up.

The operation of the gear is simplicity itself, The E-Flite units are electric and have a motor attached to a worm gear. The Hubin 2-channel timer allows me to sequence the gear up around 10 seconds after full power-up and then extends them 5 seconds before the motors shut off. Dean Pappas and I had them working to perfection on the bench a few weeks back and they went up exactly on time and down exactly on time as programmed. They run off of the actual flight battery, so it's a matter of hook them up, sequence them and, well, forget them (at least that's the plan...).

Here's a shot of the bottom with the nacelles installed.

Later - Bob

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2011, 06:12:04 PM »
 Looking good Bob! It's always one of the most satisfying parts of a build when you're finally able to permanently attach the major components and it starts to look like an airplane. y1

Maybe I missed it elsewhere, is that Polyspan on the open bays?

Wayne Willey

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #195 on: April 26, 2011, 06:21:14 PM »
Hi Wayne:

You are sooooo right! It seems like this one took forever to come together, but it is now moving very quickly.

I used good old 00 silkspan to cover the open bays. I have two very good friends who sent me a few sheets each of the "good" stuff. (Thanks again to Phil Granderson and Steve Buso)

I'm done for tonight on the twin, but tomorrow morning I will make and fit the main gear retract mounts. Shouldn't take too many more sessions until I'm into full-blown finish mode.  <=

Later - Bob

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #196 on: April 26, 2011, 06:29:42 PM »
 10-4 Bob, I'll be watching. Even though it's "only" electric, it's still really cool! :## ;D :##

I'm just taking a break myself at the moment between the final coats of clear on my Umland "Super Combat Streak", another satisfying step! y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #197 on: April 26, 2011, 06:58:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure you would be sorry that you covered over silkspan or Polyspan with carbon.  

Why is that, because of the extra weight ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #198 on: April 26, 2011, 07:04:19 PM »
I just don't think it would fill well and be sandable afterwards like it is when you put it on the airframe prior to covering with silkspan or Polyspan. I could be wrong...

Later - Bob 

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #199 on: April 26, 2011, 07:13:42 PM »
By the way, I just weighed the airframe with the nacelles and the spinners on and the wing covered with silkspan and one coat of dope, and with the stabilizer, elevators and flaps covered with carbon... Drum roll here please... It weighs 25 ounces! I'm ecstatic!  #^

I'm on target at this point to have a 58 to 60 ounce ship, with the battery (fuel) on board! That's equivalent to a glow model at 52 to 54 ounces without fuel on board!  y1

Bob

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here