News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:46:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New CC Phoenix ICE ESC's  (Read 2519 times)

Alan Hahn

• Trade Count: (0)
New CC Phoenix ICE ESC's
« on: August 01, 2009, 06:55:23 AM »
I think these ESC's are coming out soon (this month). They include data recording (I guess of the motor parameters like volts, current and rpm), but I am not sure what else is inside their programming. If it also includes the standard Phoenix firmware for the governor, then it looks pretty nice.

What surprised me was the price. At Tower the 50A version is ~$85, which is about what I paid for my Phoenix 45. There are two versions, a "lite" and a normal. The normal looks like it has a heat sink, but it also weighs 1.22 oz. I'm not sure on the weight of the "lite" version.

This seems like an incredibly good deal (unless I am missing something).

Offline John Witt

• Captain
Re: New CC Phoenix ICE ESC's
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 09:50:35 AM »
Yeah Alan, I'm looking forward to getting some info on those too. Sounds like a good candidate for my Jenny ESC. The Jenny will need some nose weight, so I'm also seriously considering A123 batteries in a 6S format (19.8V)for a first foray in to a higher voltage setup. I suspect there will be a gradual move to higher voltage battery pack since it pays a capacity dividend from the lower current. The guys flying large scale RC electrics are already there. Having a reasonable cost HV ESC is going to be a boon.

When I was building electric vehicles, we ended up with 148 V battery packs since lead acid batteries are strongly affected by the losses of their internal resistance.

John

John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline andreas johansson

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 11:27:36 AM »
Nice, the built in datalogging capability's is something I really want. Right now I'm trying to convince myself that I really need an EagleTree logger with rpm and temp. sensor.  :)

Alan, buy an "ICE Esc" and try it out, then tell the rest of us if we need them  ;D

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 11:29:29 AM »
Nice, the built in datalogging capability's is something I really want. Right now I'm trying to convince myself that I really need an EagleTree logger with rpm and temp. sensor.  :)

Alan, buy an "ICE Esc" and try it out, then tell the rest of us if we need them  ;D

/Andreas

Ahh, I was trying to get someone else to do the same! HB~>

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 11:39:36 AM »
Yeah Alan, I'm looking forward to getting some info on those too. Sounds like a good candidate for my Jenny ESC. The Jenny will need some nose weight, so I'm also seriously considering A123 batteries in a 6S format (19.8V)for a first foray in to a higher voltage setup. I suspect there will be a gradual move to higher voltage battery pack since it pays a capacity dividend from the lower current. The guys flying large scale RC electrics are already there. Having a reasonable cost HV ESC is going to be a boon.

When I was building electric vehicles, we ended up with 148 V battery packs since lead acid batteries are strongly affected by the losses of their internal resistance.

John

Well as I have maintained for a long time, there is no difference between six cells hooked up in series (as a 6s1p pack) or hooking them up as a 3s2p, or even a 2s3p pack, as long as you adjust the kV of the motor, and the ESC current capability, at least with regards to the internal resistance of the cells.

Look at it this way, if you are pulling the same wattage out of each cell (so you are getting the same wattage from each pack), the current from each cell is just the same, and the power lost in the cell due to resistance is just equal. The net result is that there is no difference, even though you have twice the current from the 3s2p, and three times the current in the 3s3p packs as the 6s1p pack. Of course you would want to use a larger gauge hookup wire in the two former packs to keep wire losses the same.

Back in the old days (which may end soon), a 6s ESC (aka an "HV" ESC) cost more than the "normal" ESC, so a 70A ESC wasn't that much different than a 35A HV ESC, and you had to buy an external BEC to boot (for the 6s type packs). However these new ICE ESC's seem to remove that cost differential (if I understand what they are saying), so it does appear that we may be moving to the higher voltages as the cheaper way to go in the future.

Just my guesses.

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 06:51:59 PM »
Watts are watts and as you say, so long as the current in the cells is the same there nominally wouldn't be any difference in the cell capacity.

So where would be the advantage in higher voltage? My guess would have to be next in the field strength in the motor. Does anyone know what motor characteristics are being manipulated to get the changes in kV?

Reduced current in the ESC (for the same motor watts), perhaps.

I suppose the number of poles, magnet size, and windings work together to produce the kV differences. The torque should come from the magnet field geometry, the winding field geometry and the field strength. For the life of me I cannot remember whether it's the current or voltage that affects the field strength, or perhaps a relationship between the two.

As the resident physics guy, Alan, refresh my mind on this. Or do I have it all wrong?  n~

Maybe one of you knowledgeable fellows should post a short course in the factors that make motors, ESCs and batteries work as a system. Alan? Igor?

John

John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 07:21:06 PM »
As long as you adjust kV to meet the pack voltage, everything stays the same.

So a 3s pack typically works well with kV's in the 1000-1100 rpm/volt range. If you went to a 6s pack, then you would want a kV ~500-550 rpm/volt. (this will depend on what rpm you want to run a prop at--I am talking about low 8000's for me).

So to quickly illustrate how it doesn't matter, the only difference between the kV=1000 and the kV=500 is that the 500rpm/V motor has twice the number of winds as the 1000 rpm/V motor. Since 1/2 the amps will flow in the 6s case, the double the number of winds exactly compensates the lower current. The magnetic field an electromagnet makes is proportional to the current x the number of winds.

Now to show that the resistive losses are the same, the 500kV motor has twice the length of wire  (just from twice the # winds). Assuming the 1000 kV stator is completely packed with copper, the only way to increase the number of winds is to use thinner wire. Ideally, you would use a wire which had 1/2 the cross-sectional area---so in the end, the 500kV stator is also packed as fully as you can get. So with twice the length, and half the cross-sectional area, the resistance of the 500kV motor is 2x2=4 times higher than the 1000kV motor.

That sounds bad, but remember the 500 kV motor has 1/2 the current (but twice the voltage so the watts are the same). The heating inside the motor is I2*R, I being the current. Well with 1/2 the current, and 4 times the resistance, the heating (1/2I)2*4R = I2R, just the heating in the 1000kV motor.

So you can mix and match things by scaling the pack voltage and the motor kV to find equivalent setups--whatever is convenient.

The only proviso is keeping track of the ESC capability (volts and amps). The other deal is the connecting wire, which to be exactly scaled, means you need twice the cross-section of the connecting wire for the high current case. But the resistance of the connecting wire is pretty darn small in most cases, and you can usually ignore it.

So we see the battery doesn't care, and the motor doesn't care, so choose what you want---usually the choice is a function of what you can buy or already have. That's why I sometimes hook up two 3s2100 packs in parallel (~like a 3s4200 pack) and run my 1100kV motor--especially when I am not sure how much battery capacity I need for a new plane. Then after I establish what I need, I usually can find a smaller pack (4s2100 or 5s2100) that will satisfy the energy needs. Then for the best efficiency, I try to find an equivalent kV motor.

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 08:46:29 PM »
Alan,

I followed your explanation for the most part but then got confused so I'm going to ask a dumb question here but it has been on my mind. I want to go to higher voltage for my carrier plane but since I want high speed for the beginning of the flight I want lots of amps. What doesn't make sense to me is the current draw through the two packs in series. Now I am using a 3S 2600 mah battery and the motor draws 55 amps during high speed (measured on the ground, it drops a little once in the air). So a 20C  2600mah battery is ok. If I go to 2x2s packs to up the voltage I can drop the capacity on them but then I see a problem. My reasoning is that the current in each battery is going to be too high since they are in series the total current must be going through each pack. I I don't understand the multiple pack arrangement correctly or people would not be able to up the voltage and drop the current like I know they are doing now.

The follow on question then is how do I calculate needed capacity with the 4 cell arrangement? My 3s 2600mah set up is just enough to get a good 28 second high speed at full throttle and then a 4 min low (low speed I estimate as around 25-30 amps average through the run).

Can you help me out?
Thanks

Bob
Bob Frogner

Alan Hahn

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
Bob,

Basically you are right that simply reshuffling the pack from a 3s to a 4s--without changing the motor too--will give you problems. However lowering the motor kV to adapt to the 4s pack won't bring you any gains either. I assume you want more speed at the high end, and maybe a little more capacity --but no more weight either.

So to illustrate the problem: Compare a 3s2600 pack (20C) to a 4s1950 (20C) pack ( both carry the same energy (3x2600=4x1950), the 4s pack max current is ~39A while the 2600 max current is 52A (close to your 55A static draw). Both can supply the same output watts (volts*amps), and if the individual cells were made with the same technology, I amclaiming that the internal heating (resistive losses) would be the same for the same output wattage.

However you need a certain amount of amps (which translates directly to torque) to turn the prop at the rpm you are now getting at full throttle with the 3s system. So that is going to put the 4s pack at some disadvantage. For the sake of argument, I'll assume the internal resistance of each cell is just inversely proportional to the capacity, so a single 1950 cell will be 4/3 the resistance of the 2600 cell (that's why I say we assume the same technology was used to make each cell). In addition there are 4 cells instead of the 3, so the 4s1950 pack has 16/3 R and the 3s2600 pack has 3R resistance (R=resistance of a single 2600mAHr cell).

Net result is that the 4s pack has 16/9 the resistance of the 3s pack (almost a factor of 2). This means that the voltage out of the 4s pack will have almost twice the voltage drop that the 3s pack experiences for the same current. Corollary is that it will also experience roughly twice the heating that the 3s pack experiences.

Another fact is that with the extra cell, you probably will get (at least initially) more than the ~55A out of the 4s pack at full throttle, and then of course the heating is worse. Since heat left in the battery is energy not supplied to the motor, and you say that the 3s2600 currently just has enough, my guess is that you may not have enough with a 4s1950 pack to finish the entire flight. In any event I don't see any advantage

One way around this is to go to newer technology batteries----These days I see 35 and 40C batteries. From my limited understanding of lipo's, the higher C represents a lower internal battery resistance (also may represent marketing hype!). I also notice that higher C tends to be higher weight too so you would always have to take that into account.

The lower internal resistance means that you will have a higher voltage output to the motor, which translates to more watts into the motor, and presumably to a higher initial speed. Of course you need to be careful that you don't overburn at high speed leaving too little in the pack for the full flight.

So readjusting for what you want--I guess you want more at less weight. Anything you can do to lower the battery internal resistance per cell means you have more to give to the motor--assuming the weight doesn't change. I have heard some really good things about some of the newer battery technologies--from people who seem to know and also have made independent measurements.

Here is a link to some of the testing being done with the newer cells (this is on RCGroups). I think the point from the test was that here are 4 manufacturers who have some pretty good cells.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1087837

These were 3s2200 cells, so to get the capacity you need you would need a 4s pack, and a motor with a kV ~3/4 of your current setup. However they probably have higher capacity packs too.

So I still claim that there is no inherent advantage (like in efficiency)  to go up in Voltage. However if you simply want more performance with the same kV motor, then more voltage will force more current through the motor,  but then you will need to  carry more weight (=fuel)!

Hope this was of some help. I didn't really answer your question. I think to do that we would need some actual cell resistances and try to calculate how much energy is left in heating up the battery, and then add capacity to take that into account.

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 02:12:31 PM »
Alan,

Thanks for the detailed answer. It does make sense to me. I don't think I want to change the motor as the one I have now seems to work quite well in low speed too.

Yes, I was looking for more speed and a little more weight is probably not a big deal, the plane is pretty heavy to begin with and for 15 carrier that actually helps in low speed. The motor I am currently using is an AXI 2820-8 with a Kv of 1500. With the 3s configuration my static numbers are: 55A and about 11000 RPM. I did a flight this morning with a new 3s 2600 pack and got back up to the speeds I had initially (almost 70MPH) which is the limit for 15 carrier. So now I am happy. The batteries I had been using were Thunder Power Extreme 2200s which should be good for the 55A. I don't know what has happened over time but I measured the old battery this morning with the same prop and it was only getting 40A at 9000RPM. When I first used the 2200s I was getting close to 70MPH but it had fallen off over time. The new battery solves that problem. One other fact is that I did tend to use the 2200s to about 90% of their capacity so I may have done some damage by running them so low. With the new cells I will watch the capacity more closely and see if they fall off.

Thanks again the explanation it will help me in the future.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 02:35:33 PM »
I think there was an "issue" with the Thunderpower Extreme V2 losing capacity quite early. Quite a few unhappy people (going by the response in the forums).

These new ones seem really pretty good and not just the Thunderpower Pro's either.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 02:55:46 PM »
Finally some info!  http://www.castlecreations.com/products/phoenix_ice.html#

One thing that is slightly disappointing is that if you record everything at 10Hz, you only get 4 min, 28 seconds of data. Need at least another 30s!!. I am not sure what you can eliminate to stretch it a little more. MAybe need to look at the manual tonight.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 07:42:16 AM »
I really haven't found any details on how the ICE ESC are setup, so I guess I would hold off getting one until I knew more about them (like they will have a CL mode for example). Not that they won't, but the initial info is somewhat vague. Also it doesn't hurt to be the second kid on the block to get one (after the first kid takes the risk!). y1

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 08:13:15 AM »
Personally, I don't see what the big deal is of having a data logger on board all the time is.  I haven't used the Eagle Tree on my Resolve EP in several months.  The ICE controllers are nice, don't get me wrong, but why lug around the extra weight all the time for the occaisonal use of the data logger?  I don't see where the Phoenix controllers are falling short anywhere in our control line needs that having an onboard data logger will solve.  The only advantage I can see is if you don't have a data logger already and you need a ESC then maybe it might be ok to buy the ICE controller.  Just remember that you're lugging around the extra weight all the time.  For me till I'm convinced otherwise, the Phoenis controllers fill the bill very nicely.

Comments?

BTW, the new firmware upload worked very well and motor starting is now a lot smoother.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 09:04:37 AM »
Crist,
I'm not sure that the "Ice's" weigh all that much more than the "normal" Phoenix. I'm talking about the "Lite"'s  (Lites on Ice---hmm, sounds good). I also think an ICE is a Phoenix---on steroids, but until they put out more info, I am not sure.

One advantage (in principle) is that you can go to 6s and 50A for the ICE Lite 50 and it seems to cost about what the Phoenix 45 costs.

Also to be honest, I don't fly that often with my Eagle Tree either. It is somewhat of a pain to put it in the Vector (I had more space in the Nobler). In that sense, the ICE would be more convenient--but I don't really need another ESC right now.

However it probably is useful to take a record every so often just for my own edification---especially after the trimming has settled down.

added after: If I believe the CC specs, the Phoenix Ice Lite 50 is 0.8oz compared to 1.0oz for the Phoenix 45, so it is actually lighter.

Offline andreas johansson

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 10:57:52 AM »
Alan, its time for you to order one so you have all the expertice to answer my questions when I have bought one.  ;D

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 11:26:53 AM »
Andreas,
Yup, you're right about the 50A Lite.   H^^  I thought that the ICE were almost an ounce heavier.  I stand corrected.  Besides the price they look pretty good.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 05:06:15 PM »
Alan,

I decided to move the ICE conversation to this thread.

The logger will record %power/throttle, watts, amps, voltage, cum mah, ripple voltage, rpm, & controller temp.  I think that's it. LOL  I don't think that is what you are looking for.  let me play with the graphs and I'll post something.

What I like is that it dosen't matter how many poles you select.  You can change the value after recorded unlike the Eagle tree.  Nothing makes me angrier than accidentally selecting or forgetting to change the pole count before logging.  I also like the graph viewer in Castle Link.  It displays live values for the data based on cursor position.  You also don't get the start-up spikes that you get on the Eagle Tree.  All in all, the ICE logger is the real deal. 

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Alan Hahn

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 08:10:34 AM »
Alan,

I decided to move the ICE conversation to this thread.

The logger will record %power/throttle, watts, amps, voltage, cum mah, ripple voltage, rpm, & controller temp.  I think that's it. LOL  I don't think that is what you are looking for.  let me play with the graphs and I'll post something.

What I like is that it dosen't matter how many poles you select.  You can change the value after recorded unlike the Eagle tree.  Nothing makes me angrier than accidentally selecting or forgetting to change the pole count before logging.  I also like the graph viewer in Castle Link.  It displays live values for the data based on cursor position.  You also don't get the start-up spikes that you get on the Eagle Tree.  All in all, the ICE logger is the real deal. 

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana

Archie,
I asked the question in the CC forum on RC Groups and Patrick del Castillo told me the parameter is there--it's the "Motor Output Power".

So that's cool. If you would like to know how close you are to maxing out the governor, you can find out. I guess I might have to get one of the ICE 50's. I'm thinking by monitoring that parameter, you would also get an idea how your battery is holding up over a season. Once you start kissing the 100% range (and as a result not being able to hold rpm in a climb near the end of a flight), that battery is becoming toast!

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 10:32:19 AM »
ICE controllers are in Stock @ Tower Hobbies.  I have (2) ICE50's now.  For the money, can't go wrong with this data logging BEC controller.  I got the heat sink versions.  I'll post some Castle Logging Data ASAP.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Alan Hahn

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 01:43:47 PM »
I tried to buy one today from Hobby People. They would give me free postage, but the ICE lites are not in stock, and unfortunately the offer isn't good (they say) for back orders.

Offline Bill Ervin

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 04:46:13 PM »
I was shopping around for a PHX 45 today and found Todds Models just listed (which, as you know, is not the same as having them in stock) the ICE controllers on their site.  The 50 amp versions are $80.99.

http://www.toddsmodels.com/Castle_Creations_ESC_s/39.htm

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 07:34:07 PM »
Humm, I just ordered a Phoenix 50 ICE ESC from Atomic Hobbies & Games For $84.99 but with free shipping. Guess that works out to be about the same.
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 08:12:08 PM »
Great news John & Bill.  Alan, I ordered mine from Tower and they still list both the lite and standard versions in stock.  I have the standard versions with heat sink.  I'll deal with the minimal extra weight for piece of mind cooling.  As for performance, can't wait to hear what you guys think of the data logging and overall controller performance.  At this price, this will be my controller of choice for a while.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here