News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:38:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Castle Creations Phoenix Firmware is out!  (Read 4632 times)

Alan Hahn

• Trade Count: (0)
New Castle Creations Phoenix Firmware is out!
« on: July 03, 2008, 05:13:36 PM »
I just looked at the CC Vendor forum on RC Groups and believe it or not the new firmware is now out!

Here is a copy/paste--check the red . Also some new governor modes--not sure what they mean yet.
"
Here's the poop: The heli stuff is described at the bottom.

Improved startup for some out-runner style motors

Added audible error codes to help trouble-shoot in flight problems

After you land, simply go to zero-throttle and wait for the controller to beep out the error code.
1 Beep - Start Failure (The motor was jammed or locked)

2 Beeps - Low Voltage Cutoff (Your batteries are likely discharged. Check that batteries are fully charged and that your Phoenix detects the proper number of cells at power-up)

3 Beeps - Over Current (Current draw exceeded the safe capacity of the controller)

4 Beeps - Prop Strike Detected (Your motor stopped spinning freely. Check for proper operation of motor)

5 Beeps - Poor Radio Signal (Signal from your receiver is corrupt or non-existent, check transmitter and receiver)

Added 'Powered Up' beep to warn the ESC is armed and powered

Added an 8KHz pwm mode

Added support for control-line governor mode WITH braking enabled. All standard brake options apply.

Added new setting 'Head Speed Change Rate' to control how quickly the governor modes change between set points

Added new setting 'Auto-Rotate Enabled' to allow faster exits from auto-rotations maneuvers

Added two new governor modes, 'Simple Mode' and 'Set RPM Mode'

Simple Mode
Allows a normal startup, 75% throttle equals 75% max power.

Once the throttle input is constant for 1.5s governor mode will LOCK on that speed. Further changed to the throttle input (after lock) will result in corresponding head-speed changes.
Set RPM Mode
Allows three distinct head-speeds to be entered into Castle-Link and will govern at those head speeds.
Requires input for motor kv, motor magnetic poles, gearing, and battery

Head Speed 1 is chosen by throttle inputs less than 50%

Head Speed 2 is chosen by throttle inputs between 50% and 99%

Head Speed 3 is chosen by throttle inputs greater than 99%

Changed 'Spool Up' to have a more linear speed

Changed gain settings to be consistent at different RPMs. Also changed the range of gain setting to be 1 to 32.

Sorry it took so long, there's a lot going on here. We feel that the whole team has done a great job.

This breaks new ground for the heli guys, hopefully you won't be breaking that ground with your heli. This is BETA software, so be careful. Test it thoroughly before committing your ships to the air!

Hope this exceeds your expectations. From all of us here at the Castle, have a great weekend!

Lee

Alan Hahn

Re: New Castle Creations Phoenix Firmware is out!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 05:15:29 PM »
Think I'll wait until Monday (after our Firecracker Contest) to try this out. Start with the SuperClown first!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 06:47:49 PM »
I think I just fell in love with the "RPM" mode. Coupled with the Timer/Throttle compensation mode, I can set a lower throttle for a nice smooth takeoff and the first two laps, then let the compensation increase the rpm to normal flight rpm (48% throttle to >51%). Then the brake will stop the prop, hopefully giving a better glide at the end of the flight.

I guess I will program my Phoenix 25 first and try with the SuperClown (it has a Phoenix 35 in old mode installed right now. I want to leave it for Sunday's Profile competition just in case the firmware has issues.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 07:20:43 PM »
two words: YEEEEE haw!  ;D  H^^  010!  HH%%
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 03:31:46 PM »
Alan How did youi down load the CC firmware ? I down load the V 3.051 Beta firm were and try to bring it up after loading and all I got was the old program.for the Castel link try to up date still nothing.
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 05:16:06 PM »
I haven't done it yet since I have a contest tomorrow and will go with what I have.

But I do recall from the CC forum on RCGroups that you need to uninstall the previous version to install the latest. You might check out that link.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885942

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 09:33:25 AM »
Hi Alan
I finally got the firm were loaded.  This is what I've done any advice?
Larry

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 10:33:05 AM »
Larry,
You are the pathfinder right now. I might suggest not using HARD braking--not too sure how fast it tries to stop the prop. Maybe start somewhere in the middle and go from there.

I plan to download the new firmware today to a CC Phoenix 25 to see how it will run my SuperClown.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 12:44:55 PM »
Hi Guys,
Try 100%, maybe 2 or 3 tenths of a second delay and medium to slow for the brake. fast will twist the nose off your Stunter.
The gain and response speed settings end up different, and I am still trying to figure the best combo out.
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 11:34:02 AM »
Any chance we can take the old settings and just load them into the new 3.1 and only enable the brake wit all other new features at the default setting? Or is there some of the new features that we must change for CL with the brake?

Best,         Dennis

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 12:05:41 PM »
Dennis,
I was hoping what you suggest is possible--that was going to be my first plan. However it wouldn't be a bad idea to write down what you have now--just in case! I think you can save the setup to a file--even in the old version, but I'm not positive.

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 08:26:01 PM »
I've been testing the various new control-line modes on my test stand, using a Phoenix 35A ESC and (1) a Rimfire 35-30-950kV motor and (2) an Axi 2814/10.

The new "simple" C/L mode: (using defaults: Low Governor Gain, Medium initial spool-up rate, Medium Head Speed Change Rate; Motor Start: Medium, Timing: Normal; PWN Rate: 12 kHz). The Rimfire gave 9,000 to 11,000 RPM between about 1.65 and 1.80 ms while the Axi required pulse widths between about 1.47 and 1.62 ms -- so they aren't compatible with the previous Heli/High RPM/Governor mode.

The new C/L, Governor High mode: Gave the same calibration as before for the Governor High mode (about 1.3 to 1.43 ms to get 9,000 to 11,000 RPM).-- for BOTH motors.

The new C/L "Set RPM" mode: I set it up for the Axi motor, I thought, asking for 2000 RPM below 50% throttle, for 8500 RPM between 50% and 99% throttle, and 9500 RPM for throttle greater than 99%. The first run showed beautifully stable RPMs: from 1.12 ms to 1.50 ms it was 1710/1740 RPM on my tach; from 1.51 ms to 1.88 ms or so, it was 7260/7290 RPM on my tach; at greater pulse widths it was 8130 RPM. These were about 86% low, so I changed the number of poles from 12 to 14 and got: 2010, 8560/8490, and 9450 RPM!!

This mode would allow a real nice, slow idle, a slightly reduced RPM for level laps, and maximum RPM for the rest of the flight, for example. Cute!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 09:09:18 PM »
Will,
I have been thinking exactly the same idea. A nice low power takeoff and somewhere in the 2 level laps/2 laps before the wingover to power up for the rest of the flight.

I figure I could do this on the JMP-2 timer by programming in the "Ramp-up" time to be a lower power setting than the "First flight time". But this would require my holder/"stooge" to push the start button---which I think is actually legal. But I do prefer to do this myself, but I don't think I can rely on setting the first flight time to be ~20s and letting the final flight throttle somehow cross the throttle curve.

So the question is whether one of your timers can be setup for ~3 or 4 time periods with different throttle settings..

Time 1:---the delay as I walk out to the handle.  Thottle basically off.
Time 2:---the time of takeoff and first two level laps, with a lower power setting to make a nice takeoff and climb to 5 feet.
Time 3:--- Most of the rest of the flight-- )~5 minutes with a constant throttle setting.
Time 4:---sometime after clover, ramp power down to get last few laps, then power off--saves a little battery. Also let brake stop the prop.

I do like a button to push to start "Time 1", but that is my preference.

I can sort of setup this sequence on my JMP-2 timer, and setting the spool-up and spool-down of the CC ESC to give me the power settings. a little trial and error, but the rpm mode is an interesting way to do the same thing.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 11:24:29 PM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the info on the new CC update. The brake feature will be nice for those who fly in FAI. :-)

The slow T.O. and spool up during the 1st few laps have been there for over a year. The slow spool down for a power on landing has also been there for over a year. I thought everyone was already using these features? Please see my SH post from April 2007:

ECL Takeofffs:
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=4659.0

ECL Landings:
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=4566.0

I have always had my timer and ESC set up so that I have 30 sec to wander out to the handle after I have pushed the button, with the motor at full stop. (I still use a stooge when flying alone, as a backup). I still get the perfect T.O. and sloooow climb that I have had for the past year. It gets up to full speed somewhere on the third lap.

The gradual spool down at the end allows for a very smooth decent and power on landing as the motor slows and comes to a stop after landing. I have had this setup for the past 225 flights with zero problems. :-) As mentioned before, I converted to the APC 12 x 6 last year after trying 13 other props. IMHO I still think this prop is the best for my AXI 2826/10 setup. (thanks Linheart :-)

Regards,
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 01:09:09 AM »
Alan, I did that all very simple. My timer has 30 seconds delay after switch on and this is how it looks from outside:

time 1: 30 second period for walking, setting handle to the hand testing, looking around and so
time 2: spin-up time set in the ESC (heli ESC typically allow very long times) for approx 2 seconds it makes very smooth takeoff
time 3: rest of the flight

I do not fell to need time 4 for slow flight in leve on end of the flight, slower flight will need longer time so I cannot save battery capacity too much and it is always better to enter landing at higher speed (and gliding necessary for FAI landing)

Alan Hahn

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 07:31:42 AM »
Rudy and Igor,
Of course both of you are right. I have known (and complained) about the slow spool-up ---even when I have set it as fast as possible. But until recently I didn't think to use it in the manner that you are talking about. Actually I have sort of used it that way by having my helper release a little early, but since I had the spool-up set as fast as possible, it was a dicey proposition.

So now I'll play around with slower spool-ups.

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 10:25:21 AM »
Alan,
   It is easy to program my timers for different power settings or RPMs during the flight since they keep track of the flight time in minutes and seconds throughout the requested time. (My FM-1a, for use with a non-governed ESC, adjusts the throttle up to every 30 seconds, to adjust for battery voltage decline, for example.) Your time 1 could be the slow idle of 2000 RPM or so (adjustable between say 2 to 33 seconds or so), your time 2 could be the Set RPM second time, your time 3 could be the Set RPM third time, and your time 4 could be the second Set RPM time.
   Since the ESC is now using preset RPMs, this doesn't allow for tweaking the RPM (fine adjustment) which I provide on some of my timers, during the first minute of "flight" time, which I think is nice for adjusting to changing air densities. Alternately, it is easy enough for me to program a timer to do the above, in the High Governor mode--except the lowest idle is around 7400 RPM. (But it could just be 30 seconds of no running after the "start" button is pushed.) If the Low Governor mode gives you high enough RPMs (up to about 9300 in my bench checks), the problem of a high idle speed goes away, because then it is easy to get 2000 RPM or a little less.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 10:44:53 AM »
Guys,

This sounds like we could set this up to simulate a 4-2-4 motor run if we know the level flight throttle % setting, then all we do is set the rpm incease to come in say at 10% throttle increase for plus 500 rpm and  we have the best of the pipe and traditional stunt run. This is going to be a fun summer.

Best,       Dennis

Alan Hahn

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 11:08:49 AM »
Just a quick comment. I downloaded the new firmware into my Phoenix 25 ESC last night. Basically setup the same as before except with the brake. The JMP-2 Timer was left alone. The rpm was within ~100 rpm  or so of the original Phoenix 35 ESC setup, so at least to zeroth order, I should be able to fly the SuperClown with the new firmware to see what happens. 

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 11:50:34 AM »
I too have uploaded the new firmare to my Phoenix 60 and it worked just the same except for the addition of the brake.  I like the newer interface and the I really look forward to the RPM control.  I will be flying the Oriental with it today if the weather holds to see how it works in the air.

Archie Adamisin

Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 10:00:12 PM »
I got my Phoenix 35 and loaded the new firmware.  Still playing with it, but the RPM mode works slick!  I think I'm going to like it.  I like the idea of easily changing the settings with the laptop.  Very easy and quick!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 08:00:46 AM »
I got my Phoenix 35 and loaded the new firmware.  Still playing with it, but the RPM mode works slick!  I think I'm going to like it.  I like the idea of easily changing the settings with the laptop.  Very easy and quick!

Only downside is that it has to be a Window's PC.

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 08:08:21 AM »
Only downside is that it has to be a Window's PC.

Why is that a downside?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 01:32:19 PM »
Well if you have a Mac laptop, then I don't feel like shelling out ~$150 to buy W-XP to run a simple windows program that is only talking out the USB port. So that's the downside.

That aside, I did find a difference between the old setup and new. In the old setup--which used the heli mode, the fast (=10) spool-up was really slow. Now using the CL mode, fast spool up is really fast (or basically non-existent). So if you want to spool up slowly, you may need to redefine the rates compared to what was used in the past.

Anyway got in 4 flights today at lunch, 2 on the SuperClown using the Phoenix 25 with new firmware, and two on the Nobler using the Phoenix 35 and old firmware. Also just updated my second Phoenix 35 with the new firmware and will compare it to the first Phoenix 35 in the Nobler.

I plan to use the second one on a E-Vector ARC (need those 12 points!) with a Scorpion 3020-12 (kV=1080) and a 3s2p 4200mAHr batteries (two 3s2100 in parallel). Should be a nice setup. Will have to put on some taller gear to clear the 12-6 prop.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 08:54:30 PM »
Hi Alan,

I don't want to get off topic here but, RE: your statement:

"I plan to use the second one on a E-Vector ARC (need those 12 points!) with a Scorpion 3020-12 (kV=1080) and a 3s2p 4200mAHr batteries (two 3s2100 in parallel). Should be a nice setup. Will have to put on some taller gear to clear the 12-6 prop."

Please let us know how it flys on the lower V batteries. I am using 4S 4200s in my Extra/Vector with the old standby AXI 2628-10.

Call Randy Smith ( http://www.aeroproduct.net/ ). He has the perfect gear for your Vector. Tell him you have his Vector on electric with 12 x 6, he will send you the tall CF gear. It is made to slant back in a pattern plane to look cool,  but I put it on "backwards" so that it puts the wheels farther forward which is perfect for my rough grass electric only field. I think you will like his gear.

I agree with you, the 12 +/- AP are needed to be competitive. When I stripped the covering off my 1st CL ARF to make it into a legal BOM ARC, my wife asked why I was destroying a beautiful covering job that I had paid to have done? I tried to explain it to her, but the more I said the crazier I sounded. She just shook her head and said: "you guys are NUTS!!" ... I agreed with her. 
      This has got to be the silliest rule ever invented! Jim Walker (of Walker cup fame, and the father of CL ARFs in the 1940s through 1960s) would die of "heartbreak", if he was still with us, if he thought this silly rule had anything to do with the wonderful trophy that is issued in his honor each year!!  HB~>

Now, back to the topic at hand ....

Warm Regards,
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 02:54:17 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 12:08:12 PM »
I got a chance to fly the E-Oriental using the new Castle firmware in my Phoenix 60.  It worked perfectly.  I flew it once with the old stand by Kontronik controller, then unplugged it and plugged in the Phoenix 60. (See attachment for the parameters used)  The flights were identical.  This was a great first success, but additional adjustments may need to be made to even further optimize it.  I really like the quick ramp up from start up versus the lethargic startup it used to have.  I liked the brake, I also like the fact that I entered the data I have gathered from previous flights, entered it in and it worked exactly the same as my other setup that I have had working for the last year.  The RPM mode is the way to go in my opinion.  The only drawback is that you would have to have a laptop on hand, but this has become a necessary piece of equipment when flying with the Eagle Tree, so not really a bad deal. 

My suggestion for initial setup would be to establish a target RPM range and use the timer to fine tune that until the power level is established that you want to use.  Set the controller in governor High in controline stunt mode.  Once the rpm is established, set the RPM and motor parameters and leave it alone.

This is what we have all been waiting for from Castle, so I hope all who have Phoenix controllers upload this new firmware and use it.  It really has made my controller choice very easy.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana   
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 08:22:20 AM »
Flew the converted Brodak Vector 40 ARF last night using the Brodak SC motor with 11 x 5.5 APC, 3S 4000 battery, & phoenix 60 with new firmware.  (See attached for parameters used.)  The 9400 rpm yielded a 5.45 lap time which the airplane flew at with plenty of power, but it would be happier @ 5.2.  I used the same 63' lines.  I am very excited about this new firmware upgrade.  It has made the Phoenix very user friendly with a made for stunt feel.  I hope to fly today with the Eagle Tree to get some real data, but the Nats crowd is gathering so I may not get the opportunity.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana   
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 09:00:49 PM »
Well I flew my ECL with new firmware and it work just like before except with brake, but I had it set on medium, will try hard next time. y1
Larry

Alan Hahn

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 09:23:12 PM »
Larry,
I think "Hard" is ok, but there is another parameter which I forget the name right now which sets how fast it ramps down (this isn't the delay). I think make sure the ramp down is "medium", just so the brake is applied smoothly and not all at once.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 07:38:47 AM »
Guys,

There are two Castle-Link Setting Reports posted for the new version, in the first it has the Govenor Mode Type is "High" in the second (Archie's) the Mode Type is "Fixed". Question is what do these setting mean and which one is the better choice?

Best,    Dennis

Alan Hahn

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 07:50:41 AM »
Dennis,
It isn't obvious that either mode is "best", but there are advantages to each.
With the "normal" High Governor mode, your Timer/Throttle sets the rpm, within the band that High mode supports, nominally >7000 rpm for a 14 magnet motor (like the 28xx AXI or 30xx Scorpion). The main issue is that due to the 64 step JMP-2 or 50 step ZTRON throttle output, you do get steps in the rpm output--I think my steps are about 200 rpm, not too bad. Some timers have a finer step size--or no step size. In High governor mode this is a lot better than if you have to run in "Low governor" mode like I did last year with the 10 magnet Brodak Stock motor in my Super Clown (I wanted rpms <9000). Then my step size was more like 800 rpm which made finding the prop/rpm/lap time a tricky business.

The new "rpm" mode is nice in that you tell the ESC that every timer throttle setting less than 50% will be xxx rpm, and rpm's>50% &<99% will be yyy rpm, and 99% and above will be zzz. I think that is the way it is setup, but may be off on some details. The biggest problem (or feature!) is that now you need to have a computer to change this rpm. At least in the old High/low mode, you could shange the timer settings at the field (--however this was no piece of cake either!).

So I'm not sure what will eventually work best for me. I haven't tried the RPM mode yet, but it does sound interesting.

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 09:09:37 AM »
Alan,

This is how it worked for me with the three throttle limits.  You could set the spool up RPM tp be 1000 and program the timer @ say 25% for that time.  Then when when it kicks into first flight speed, set your RPM at flight speed and the timer for maybe 75 - 100%.  If all is working correctly, and the governor is working properly, you shouldn't have to set a 3rd flight rpm. 

I did make some interesting revalations though about lower Kv motors using the Phoenix.  I have a 35-36-1100 & a 35-42-1100 Turnigy motors that bolt right into the Vector, so I thought I would try them out to see if there was some savings in efficiency using the lower kV motors.  Both tests were done with 3S and found out that neither motor would maintain the 9500 rpm on the 11 x 5.5 prop needed to get my 5.2 lap time.  I can do it with the Brodak SC motor.  The 35-42 motor would sustain 9400, so I will give it a try, but the current was the same as the Brodak as well.  This would lead me to believe that it wasn't a battery problem.  I know that you fly on shorter lines but a similar lap time.  The flight the other night with the Vector/SC motor used 2210 maH versus the 2600-2800 I use in the Oriental with the 10 x 5 prop.  There is an advantage to the 11 x 5.5, but I still feel that a minimum of a 1300 Kv motor would be required to get the RPM to fly on 63' using 3S.

Please note that both of these motors have been tested on 4S with no problems maintaining required RPM and @ a reduced current as would be expected.  I did this test on 3S because of seeing your success with using around 1100 Kv.  I will test this on the Eagle tree to see what the in flight difference is.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 10:21:56 AM »
Does any one know if there is a audiable sound for cut off? before with out govenor I had a sound ( beep)  but with govenor all I get is a burp.
Larry

Alan Hahn

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 12:04:46 PM »
Archie,
Yes with a 3s battery, an 11-5 prop, and a 1100 kV,  9500 rpm is probably not sustainable, especially as the battery voltage droops over the flight. I saw that with my original setup last fall on the Nobler with an 11-5 prop and a 1100 kV motor. However you could put on an 11-7 and run it in the 9000 rpm range (or lower) and be ok- at least in holding rpm, you would need to be happy with the vertical performance of the plane.

Larry,
As far as I know, the Phoenix won't beep. But what I do is carry a "Talking Timer". I run it as a countdown timer. I set 6 minutes on it, and as soon as I start the timing sequence on the plane, I press the start button on the Talking Timer. This thing gives me an audible minute count on the minute, and with 1 minute left --just when I am exiting the clover, it goes into 10 second mode. I am landing with about 20 seconds left. It is pretty convenient to always know where I am with respect to the timer/throttle on the plane! It is also amazing how consistent the flight is with electric--assuming I always put in a fresh battery!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 10:30:42 PM »
Alan, temproary hijack here,
what talking timer, where did you find it,, I have been looking for one like that.
I am really encouraged by the new firmware. I am now finally ready to put my Cardinal in the air under electric power. Just waiting on the connectors for the batteries to get here. Of course wouldnt you know, my laptop died last week, so I have to program and fly, then come home make changes, and go back out again,, until I can get a new laptop,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Alan Hahn

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008, 08:09:02 AM »
Mark,
I got mine for ~$25 (including s&h) from Madison Components---they were advertising in Model Aviation. Here is a link. http://www.qualityrcproducts.com/products_electronic.html

There are a lot of identical but re-branded versions out there right now, so I can't say the price I paid was the best, but I really like mine.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 06:40:44 PM »
Talking about laptops, I'm a died in the wool Mac-aholic== but I've been looking at the Asus Windows machine for about $400  n1  ----that reminds me about a friend who went into RC Pattern and ended up buying a mini-van to transport his plane--and of course I teased him unmercifully.

I figure to rack it up to the cost of the pursuit of "Stunt Excellence" - LOL  LL~-- for anyone who has seen me fly!

Bit how to explain it to the wife! Maybe have to monitor the FEDEX delivery and make sure I'm home first!

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 03:12:54 PM »
Guys,

I have done some test trim flights with my new ship and had loaded the new firmware and pretty much set it up as I had in the test ship. In High Governor with the brake set to medium the prop slows down a lot after the power cuts but still doesn't stop until the ship touches down and is almost stopped.

Has anyone tried the hard setting?

Also when we use the brake how much does it draw from the battery?

Best,          Dennis

Alan Hahn

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 07:54:37 PM »
Dennis,
I have my brake now set hard, but the brake ramp is set "medium". My prop stops pretty fast, but not super fast. I don't notice anything out of the ordinary with current use.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 11:38:06 AM »
Guys,

I want to print out my set up but since the airplane is in the shop and the printer is in the office connecting to the printer after completing the programing has been a problem. I tried to call up the printout after I closed the program and moved the computer but the file won't open with standard programs. Anyone know how to get this done ?

Best,         Dennis

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2008, 01:51:49 PM »
Try using a spare speed controller to hook up to at the office.  Of course this is after you have saved the program to the HD.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2008, 02:56:09 PM »
Guys,

I want to print out my set up but since the airplane is in the shop and the printer is in the office connecting to the printer after completing the programing has been a problem. I tried to call up the printout after I closed the program and moved the computer but the file won't open with standard programs. Anyone know how to get this done ?

Best,         Dennis

What you need is a way to "print" the file to a pdf virtual printer (I do it with my Mac all the time, it is a built in feature).

I am not sure exactly what your file is, but there are two things you might have done, 1), save the setup to a file (which you can recall), and 2) print it out. I am not sure if your unreadable file is the "saved" file--it indeed might not be opened. If you run the CC program, can you open the saved file with no ESC attached and then print it out?

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2008, 03:24:41 PM »
I find that I need a speed controller hooked up to CastleLink in order to upload any files from my HD.  Castlelink won't work without a speed controller hooked to it.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2008, 02:27:40 PM »
Guys,

First flights with the new ship are underway one item I changed was the brake setting. At first I had it set for medium and although the prop slowed almost to a stop it did not completely stop until the ship was almost on the ground. I changed the setting to Hard and had no airframe problems but again the prop rotation slows very quick but does not come to a hard stop. I have the AXI 2820-8 motor on an APC_E 11 1/2x 5 3/4 prop. Has anyone found the settings that will stop the prop completely?

Best,         Dennis

Alan Hahn

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2008, 02:36:07 PM »
My prop tends to stop pretty fast, but it does tend to rotate a little as I setup for landing. However the glide is much superior to before where the windmilling prop really slowed the plane down fast.

What I would like to understand though is why 5 out of 6 times the prop stops in the vertical direction!  ~^ That doesn't make sense to me because there should be roughly only a 1 in 6 or 7 chance that it would do that.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2008, 08:41:06 AM »
Alan

I would hazard a guess that one of the motor magnets is stronger than the rest.  You might try, if possible, to rotate the motor 90 degrees in its mount and see if that cures the problem.  No guarantees!

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2008, 08:57:08 AM »
I think the equivalent would be to simply rotate the prop ~90 degrees, but it sounded so foolish at first blush, that I didn't even try it! Maybe I will now.

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2008, 11:48:34 AM »
Five second warning? One of the flyers using my timer (in the Set RPM mode even though not originally programmed for it) found that he didn't get the normal 1 second reduction in power followed by 5 seconds of flight power. The problem appears to be that the ESC doesn't ramp up the RPM fast enough after getting a low RPM request, so I increased the time from 5 seconds to 12 seconds, and this (on the test stand) gave the desired 5 seconds of flight power.

This timer uses RPM #1 for idle (giving a very nice, low RPM idle, from 1 to 32 seconds) and allows him to choose between RPM #2 and RPM #3 for flight RPM (giving him a choice of an extra RPM boost to handle extra wind or thin air, without going back to a laptop).

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here