News:

• May 17, 2024, 12:26:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NEW "RH STUNTER"  (Read 436 times)

Offline Ron Heckler

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
NEW "RH STUNTER"
« on: January 12, 2011, 10:14:49 PM »
For all scratch builders:
I decided to try something different for my new "RH Stunter".
I used Depron foam for the ribs and cut each one by hand.  It was much easier than 1/16 balsa which I usually use. The ribs are from the "Vector" wing spaced for a 50" span including wing tips.  It will go into a profile fuselage similar to my "Apache" and "Songbird" with a different shape fin and rudder.  The other modifications include Depron flaps and elevators sheeted with 1/32 balsa, Depron stabilizer sheeted with 1/16 balsa and capped with 1/4 x 3/8 balsa to eliminate flexing.

My two planes mentioned above weighed in at 50 oz. TOW. I am shooting for 40-45 oz TOW for this new one.  The wing pictured below weighs 3 oz. After cap strips and center planking it weighs 4 1/4 oz. The stabilzer weighs 1/2 oz.

If people are interested in this project I will post more as the building process continues.
Thank you and I hope you have a great flying season this year.

Ron Heckler
New York Control Line Stunt Team

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
Re: NEW "RH STUNTER"
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 12:21:07 AM »
Interested? Yes, foam materials are easy to get an inexpensive for me.

Questions:
- which Depron thickness are you using for the ribs?
- 1/16" balsa for wing sheeting, cap strips? Spar web?
- are you planning to use foam materials for something on the fuselage?
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 04:53:57 AM »
I'm interested in seeing your results too.  Sounds like a logical & low risk plan
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Ron Heckler

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 10:42:17 AM »
Perttime:

If you are interested, the Depron was purchased from RCFOAM.COM. Under Scratch and Dent section. They sell end cuts of 6mm (3/16) 10" x 30" sheets - 10 for $10. Part # SKU 10-905. They charge $10 shipping standard so I bought 20 sheets for $30. Which gave me plenty in case of mistakes cutting or my next plane.

As far as the wing goes, the cap strips are 1/16 basa, the spars and leading edge are 1/4 square. The rib plan calls for the top spar to be 1/8 x 1 1/16 basa, but I decided to make both 1/4 square top and bottom to save weight and eliminate the need to hack out any balsa to allow free movement of bellcrank and leadouts. BTW, the leadout wires are part 1/32 music wire (from the bellcrank to a length of 7") and the balance is flexible lead outs connected together via piece of 3/32 copper tubing. This eliminates the chance of solid leadouts bending outside the wing.

The fuselage will be made from 1/2 x 4 contest grade balsa. Turtle deck is from 1/2 x 3. Lightning holes will be cut at the rear of the fuse to lighten it. As I said before, the fin and rudder will be depron covered with 1/32 balsa.

If you have any other questions, I will be glad to answer them.

Ron Heckler
New York Control Line Stunt Team

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here