News:

• June 15, 2024, 12:47:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Getting all slopped up  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Vincent Judd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Getting all slopped up
« on: March 19, 2013, 03:53:01 PM »
Back in the old days, when I used to throw the plane in the back of my shag carpeted, customized 1977 Chevy panel van that once served as someone's work vehicle, we used to build "slop" into the elevators by using a slightly oversized bushing in the elevator horn.  This gave the elevators a little bit of play and was "supposed" to make the plane fly level without any "hunting".  Sorry for all the technical terms, my engineering background kicks in at the worst times lately.

Fast forward to today.  My new SV-11 has the latest robust control system with carbon fiber rods and an adjustable elevator horn and a ball link.  Once you tighten it, there is absolutely no "slop" whatsoever.

Haven't flown it yet.  Will it be more difficult to fly level, and, more importantly, will I still be able to play chopsticks on the piano?

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Getting all slopped up
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 09:42:58 PM »
Hi Vince,
Did you used to be able to play chopsticks?  LL~
I guess we will see.
Slop free airplanes certainly do groove, but just as it was in the shag-carpeted era, some ships fight you tooth and nail at the trimming stage.
You've got folks out there who will tell you that all is lost without downthrust/positive in the stab/sealed hinge gaps/leaking hinge gaps/elevator slop/no elevator slop/elevator-flap bias/zero-bias or having your hair parted on the correct side ... just pick one, any one.
best regards,
  Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 07:51:49 AM »
As Dean says take your choice.   All planes fly different for different people.  You could have built a half dozen of your design/plane and no two would fly the same straight off the bench.  Even with bench trimming.   Even idental engines/motors will be different.   So now fly your plane and start the wonderful world of trimming.   By the way the plane looks great and I hope it flies as well as it looks.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 04:35:17 PM »
.......or having your hair parted on the correct side ... just pick one, any one.
best regards,
  Dean P.

Dean, at my age, I'm just thankful to have any hair to part at all.

I miss that old shag carpeted van............lots of great memories and not one of them has anything to do with model airplanes.     LL~

Vince

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »
 By the way the plane looks great and I hope it flies as well as it looks.

Thanks John,  I appreciate the kind words.  I give all the credit to the gang at Brodak for the nice appearance of the plane.

We're about to find out how well it can fly, once Mother Nature gets this cold,snow, and these PITA winds out of her system and Spring can begin here in the Northeast.  I'm not sure what I'm looking forward to the most, flying C/L, flying R/C, getting out to play some golf, or running my 10 second car down the racetrack once again.

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 04:58:32 PM »
The answer to this question doesn't depend much at all on whether you're using electric or slime -- perhaps it's better asked on the open forum?

There's certainly been a lot of discussion about it.  Searching on "hunting" should get you lots of material to chew on.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 02:59:17 PM »
Chew on ... there is so much material on hunting you run the risk of choking.
Please note that Vince has skillfully avoided answering whether he could ever play Chopsticks on the piano. H^^

Regards,
  Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 04:17:41 PM »
The answer to this question doesn't depend much at all on whether you're using electric or slime.

It might. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 05:38:22 PM »
must agree with Howard here, if its electric,, the CG needs to be way farther forward than on an IC, or it will be all over the sky,,, ( think about the Electrajet in Eugene last year,, )
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 09:27:44 PM »
It might. 

I was referring to the fact that what you do won't be all that different, even if how much you do is.

Am I off base?  Is there any measure that you'd take to enhance tracking on an electric (or slime) plane that you just wouldn't consider doing on the other?

(Well, other than moving the batteries around, or stuffing the backplate with lead)
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 01:54:58 PM »
Chew on ... there is so much material on hunting you run the risk of choking.
Please note that Vince has skillfully avoided answering whether he could ever play Chopsticks on the piano. H^^

Regards,
  Dean P.

Time for true confessions.  I actually can play the chopsticks.........................and absolutely nothing else.   My wife holds all the musical talent in this family.

As far as looking at the slimy side of this forum, when I look at the names of many of the contributors here on the electron side, I never feel the need to look anywhere else for information.  Besides, I do this for the fun of it, if it gets too cerebral, I lose interest.  I'll give you guys a report after my first trimming flights.   By that time I should have a better idea of whether it can fly level or not.

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 01:25:22 PM »
Well, I finally, finally got the SV-11 finished and in the air.  It feels very nice on the lines and I really like the appearance of it in the air.  Tough to trim it out when Mother Nature decides it's time for some swirling, gusty winds, but we had a great time today just messing around with it.  

I'm here to tell you that slop is highly overrated.  The airplane is very stable in level flight, both upright and inverted with no apparent "hunting".

As far as the location of the CG, I don't think the fact that it's ECL has anything to do with it, it's just a good, solid design that doesn't know what's under the hood.

And as they say, "that is that".

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 06:58:26 PM »
That is great news about the flying of the plane.   I myself have always tried to make control systems as slop free as I could.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 08:15:24 PM »
The short answer s I don't know! Having said that, if it is tail heavy (which it could well be as an electric), I guarantee it will HUNT. Don't ask. 
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here