News:

• April 28, 2024, 09:01:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mystery Motor & Controller  (Read 417 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Mystery Motor & Controller
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:44:43 PM »
On a more serious note:

Does anyone recognize this motor?  I remember motors like this being available 5-10 years ago, but I know nothing of their quality levels or ratings, or anything.  I'm thinking of using it in a 1/2-A ish sort of plane.

It came from the estate of a club member who's recently passed away, so there's no chance of asking him.  It also came with a speed controller that's either malfunctioning or that is assuming NiCd cells and doesn't know what to do with a LiPo pack.  So once I figure out what it is and if it's worth it, I need to get speed controller, batteries, and timer.

From the wire size it looks to be capable of 10-15A; I have no clue of the Kv rating (I'm gonna measure it).  It's about the same diameter as an E-flight 300, but a bit longer and the wires are a couple of sizes bigger (if that means anything at all).

EDIT

While I'm at it, here's pictures of the controller, too -- if I could find directions for setting it up, and what the heck that extra pair of wires on the motor end may be, I may be able to salvage it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:04:42 PM by Tim Wescott »
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Mystery Motor & Controller
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 07:19:04 PM »
 Those were first sold by BP hobbies as a budget outrunner for parkflyers and were usually sold as a combo with the speed controllers. Before you knew it lots of dealers were selling them and they still are.They were loosely based on the CD Rom outrunners that lots of people were winding themselves because at that time even small brushless outrunners were very expensive. In a way you can say that that was the motor that started the price spiral downward. Here is a link to it on the BP hobbies website. http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A1190097. The quality is probably similar to any budget motor that is currently available.
AMA 98010

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Mystery Motor & Controller
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 10:33:40 PM »
I figured it'd be 'budget' quality.  Now I'm frustrated because their 'motor-ESC combo' page shows the controller that I have, but I can't find a picture of it elsewhere -- I assume that it's been obsoleted.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here