News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:47:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MY Otto the Giro Build  (Read 720 times)

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
MY Otto the Giro Build
« on: February 11, 2021, 03:17:38 PM »
I had 2 weeks of "open build table time" at the moment the autogyro threads were "flying".  So...I downloaded Dick Mathis Otto the Giro plans and began picking through my wood pile for suitable wood (read that as stuff too heavy for stunter builds).  I had a Cobra 2820/14 motor on hand and a cheapie generic eBay ESC rated at 40A.  Hmmm all I needed was a timer......

About 10 days later I was finished with the build.  The only item I needed to purchase was the Trinket M0 timer board at $8.95.  I choose it because it allows the end of flight motor speed to be gradually decreased to full stop.  Reading Dicks build article he says to be ready at 1' or 2' of height when the engine quits as it won't glide.  In fact, the build article picture has a 3 line setup to throttle control.
  Circuit Flyer "open source control line timer" solves this problem rather nicely.  In fact you can also program it for a slow ramp up to flight RPM too!  No programmer is necessary.  A really fine solution to electric sport control line flight.  He has a thread here on Stunt Hangar.  I kinda liked the Coast Guard paint scheme.  The Cobra motor weighs the same as a Fox 35 stunt.  I positioned the battery and ESC rather aft to maintain what I think will be a good balance point.

Anyway.. shes done and ready for flight when the weather gets above 50 degrees.  A rather fun build I must say!!!

The specs are:

Ready to launch weight of 32 1/2oz with the 4S 2200 Zippy Compact Lipo
Cobra 2820/14 840kv
eBay generic 40A ESC
APC 10/6 E Pusher Prop ( Might go to 11/5)
Open Source timer
4S 2200 Zippy Compact Lipo  (I may change this out for a TG 4S 1600 lipo as who wants to fly 5 minutes going around in circles maybe doing a loop or two?  This will reduce the weight slightly over 2 ounces and give a flight time of over 3 minutes).
Rustoleum rattle can finish with Poly Crylic base.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: MY Otto the Giro Build
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 06:03:02 PM »
Wow, nice work.  Great info on that timer too!  Looks like a fun project.  Otto looks happy!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 01:33:03 PM »
Wow ! what a hoot ! I can't wait to see it fly. Nicely done ! I'm sure there is a bunch of things to be learned with this baby. You are a brave man my friend.  <=

Dan
AMA 33676

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 01:37:00 PM »
Thanks Dan!  Joe got a kick out of it too!  He had no idea what the "secret" project was until I showed it to him completed.

We'll have some fun for sure with it.  Would make a neat entry in the log book for us all!

Wow ! what a hoot ! I can't wait to see it fly. Nicely done ! I'm sure there is a bunch of things to be learned with this baby. You are a brave man my friend.  <=

Dan
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here