News:

• May 07, 2024, 10:22:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My new controller  (Read 749 times)

Offline Alberto Solera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
My new controller
« on: October 20, 2011, 11:38:47 AM »
Hello everybody

I have been working on an active controller with gyro based on arduino, an open source project.
It still needs some work, mainly in some way to program it without a PC, a programing box or maybe an interface to android devices over bluetooth  n~ we will see

I wish you like it:
http://adarvueltas.blogspot.com/2011/10/otro-temporizador-para-f2b-electricos.html

regards  ;)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: My new controller
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 12:13:20 PM »
Looks cool.

I'm not sure that needing a laptop to program it is such a burden.  There are Bluetooth to serial converters out there, if your Android device has a plain old terminal program that would get you going (assuming you have serial on the Arduino, which you just about have to).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 01:42:30 PM »
I've been unable to navigate to the 'blogspot' site from any of the posts that Alberto (or Jose) has made-

I get a page that says "Aqui... el que no corre, da vueltas" on the tab and has a little
graphic of a pair of gears.

Google translation is not much help - " Here ... which does not run, turns" -- I've tried from my
home computer, work computer(s) etc.

Any insight appreciated ...
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:46:24 PM »
I've been unable to navigate to the 'blogspot' site from any of the posts that Alberto (or Jose) has made-

I get a page that says "Aqui... el que no corre, da vueltas" on the tab and has a little
graphic of a pair of gears.

Google translation is not much help - " Here ... which does not run, turns" -- I've tried from my
home computer, work computer(s) etc.

Any insight appreciated ...

It looks like the site is depending heavily on flash or some other fancy-dancy technology.  You may need to load some plug-ins, or update your browser.

What are you using?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 01:53:32 PM »
MIke, click that link under the PCB ... it will bring you to article with blue english translation

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 01:57:12 PM »
Alberto how quic is the PID regulation? ... or what is time constant for intergation? I di dnot find good solution with standard PID regulation at good speed.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 02:04:09 PM »
Firefox in various versions - haven't tried IE or chrome.

Igor : thanks for that link - same results.  In fact, when I tried to just go to "www.blogspot.com"
and see if there was some search function, it is a 'Google' entity.  The links that I tried all give
me similar results - there must be something that needs updating before it can load but I probably
won't be able to upgrade or install it at work.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 02:18:36 PM »
MIke, click that link under the PCB ... it will bring you to article with blue english translation

"... under the PCB ... "  ???

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 02:30:35 PM »
OK - it's something to do with Firefox/Firefox plugins.  It worked in IE8 .... thanks all.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Alberto Solera

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 04:44:23 PM »
Alberto how quic is the PID regulation? ... or what is time constant for intergation? I di dnot find good solution with standard PID regulation at good speed.

Currently it evaluates the new output every 10ms, although each program cycle takes less than 1ms.
I am still using conservative settings because we have our nationals this week and I want to be on the safe side
testing with the receiver I found that the Kd must be very low otherwise it leads to oscillation, but I feel it is fast enough.

This is the page of the PID library I am using.
http://brettbeauregard.com/blog/2011/04/improving-the-beginners-pid-introduction/

regards  :)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 05:47:27 PM »
testing with the receiver I found that the Kd must be very low otherwise it leads to oscillation, but I feel it is fast enough.

This is the page of the PID library I am using.
http://brettbeauregard.com/blog/2011/04/improving-the-beginners-pid-introduction/
The only thing worse than differential action is no differential action...

Watch the behavior of the system closely: there are a number of effects that can look like high-speed oscillation from too much derivative gain that aren't, really.

Derivative works better if you can make it bandlimited (i.e., what you really want is some lead-lag in there).  But that's hard to implement unless you're doing tuning that's more sophisticated than just by the seat of your pants.  If you could get some code in there to stimulate the system by changing the setpoint, and record how it responds, then you can use that for tuning after the fact.  But to do that, you (a) need deep memory, and (b) need to be willing to have some very boring level flights while the controller plays with the throttle.
AMA 64232

Offline Alberto Solera

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 02:11:58 AM »
Well, this time it was pretty clear, with the RC system, I increased Kd until it starts to oscillate and then lowered it a bit.
My next modification will be to make the average of the reading at least during the 10ms between calculations of the PID, I think it should improve the differential term. The gyro itself includes a low pass filter also.
To make the tuning you mention I need to finish my engineering degree before  :-\ at least learning some matlab I suppose. At the time I could take the data without much difficult, but I would not know what to do after that.
However it already works well enough

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here