News:

• May 17, 2024, 03:02:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Electron stunter and burn-outs  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Keith Renecle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
My Electron stunter and burn-outs
« on: February 09, 2009, 04:51:10 AM »
Hi All,

I finally have some data from my electric experience from last year until now. (I hope that I can get these attachments to work on the forum) I started testing with one of my own old stunters and then went on to design my Electron as a purpose-built e-stunter from scratch. As some of you know, I burnt out a couple of the MVVS 4,6/840 in/out runners plus some Jeti Spin esc's, so I needed to do some more research and fiddling with all of this stuff. I now have an Eagletree data recorder with an additional temperature probe, so I thought that it's time to share my findings.

In case someone needs to know why I chose to start out with MVVS motors and not AXI's, or any other makes, this is quite simply because I'm the South African agent for MVVS, and since they ventured into the electric game, they sent me a few samples to play with. I was most impressed by the quality of workmanship, and they very idea of an out-runner inside a casing seemd to me like a good idea. Just the concept of not worrying about a rotor touching anything in the nose, is a good idea in my book. After burning my motor out plus one of Igor's in the world champs, I was totally puzzled as to the cause. This was a puzzle because it had worked so well for some time before the champs. The only change on the days when the motor's popped, was that it was a few degrees hotter. After each flight I checked the temperature and it was never so hot that you couldn't touch the motor. The MVVS factory said that the temperature must have gone over 130 degrees, but there is no way that it was ever over more than 70 degrees. They did state however that this 4,6/840 is rated as a 4,6 cc (.28 cu.inch) glow motor and that my 1920 gram (68 oz)stunter was too much for it. Maybe they do in fact, know what they are talking about?? Igor kindly lent me his AXI 2826/10 for my final rounds in France, and it certainly felt to me (this is very subjective) that it was not as powerful as the MVVS, but maybe the AXI is also not really made for my overweight model. Just by the way, the target weight was 1700 grams (60 oz.), but I found that making the Electron fully take-apart, this target was difficult to achieve.

I now believe that it was most likely the high current spikes that took out the windings and not that it was too hot. The other problem with this in/out runner, is that I used the Sport version because it has a built-in fan. I thought that this is also a good idea, but the problem is that the fan is in front so the air is sucked through the rear. The Electron's nose is made with cheek cowls to feed air in the area behind the motor, but in hindsight, this does not work well.

I then bought the bigger MVVS 6,5/910 which is their .40 size glow equivalent. It also has an integral fan, but you mount the motor either way around. My first attempt had the motor with the fan in front, because it was easier to mount. It had huge power and felt good, but a little hot to the touch, so I swung it around, and this is when the Eagletree recorder arrived. I put the tiny temperature probe right inside against the windings, and you can see the results in the chart. I do not have any fancy thermal compound, but I don't believe that it will be that much hotter anyway. I found it interesting to see just how much the temperature rises after switch off. I was told by someone that I must always let the motor cool down properly before flying again. This did not seem reasonable to me, so I did two flights with just a short stop to change batteries. The chart shows the 3 flights that I did, and flight#1 used more current and became hotter, due to the battery pack losing voltage prematurely. I run in governor mode, and of course this means that the current will go up to try and keep the rpm constant if the voltage drops. Flight#2 shows that the temperature simply goes back down to normal operating temperature, and starts all over again, so in fact, this is no problem at all. Flight#3 was much later, but for this flight I blocked up 3 small (6mm) holes on top of the nose just behind the spinner. The holes were drilled to see if I could get some more air into the mouth of the motor, and I really thought that were not doing much, so I blocked them. As you can see, the temperature was higher, so like the man says "Heat is your enemy......!!"

After quite a few more flights with the Eagletree, the high temperature after switch-off is around 58 degrees C, and this is with a summer's day of around 30 degrees C. I think that the Eagletree data recorder is a most wonderful toy to have when playing with this electric stuff. I've done so much "surgery" to my poor Electron now that it's a mess, but the testing is certainly worthwhile for me. Once I am reasonably happy with the installation, I intend to re-build the nose section once again.

In the meantime, here are the main details of my set-up with the MVVS 6,5/910:

Line length: 20,750 metres (68 ft) from the centre of  the model to the centre of the handle. The flying line is PAW Staystrate steel line of  about .014” (0.355 mm)
Prop: APC 12 x 6 E set at 9000 rpm with governor mode on Jeti Spin 44 esc.
Lap times: 5.1 to 5.2 secs/lap
Data: Eagletree V3 data recorder with temperature probe inside motor windings
Altitude: 5500 ft. (1676.4 Metres) ASL   Air temperature 30 to 32 degrees C.
Weight 1850 grams (65.26 ounces)

I hope that some of you will find these results interesting.

Keith Renecle

Keith R

Alan Hahn

Re: My Electron stunter and burn-outs
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 08:06:49 AM »
Ahh, fresh meat data!

I am not sure what an "in/out" runner is.

One comment about the temperature. My guess is that your sensor is primarily measuring the air temperature around the windings, and not actually the temperature of the windings. Once you land, the airflow stops (as does the resistive heating source of the wire), so the local air rises to the temperature of the windings. So I would argue that the winding temperature near the end of the flight is close (if not higher) than the peaks you are seeing.

Another interesting thing is that your currents (~20A level peaking to 33 to 34 A in the maneuvers) are pretty close to what I am seeing in my much smaller Nobler on a 4s battery. Now these are battery currents, and the motor current is actually somewhat higher.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 12:56:06 PM »
Out of curiosity, did the windings actually fail on your motors?

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 01:27:41 PM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the feedback. The in/out runners are unique to MVVS and basically they are an outrunner inside a casing, and therefore the bearings are on either extreme. I've attached a shot of one of the small motors for you to see the idea. They are very rugged motors and use only the best materials and bearings. I believe that the real purpose was for the high performance gliders with the narrow nose structure where you cannot afford to have any moving part, like a rotor, touching the inside of the fuselage.

Unfortunately I don't have the burnt out motors. They went back to the factory, but they smelled rather burned up........ask Igor! Some of the windings had shorted out because when we turned them over it felt like the brake was still on. Just by the way, I smoked my 3rd Jeti Spin 44 the other day when the prop jammed on my work bench. Evidently they do not have any short circuit protection. This is a bummer, because you are bound to have a nose-over on take-off sometime if you take off on a grass field. I have a 40 size profile stunter, and this has happened a few times, but there I use a Hobbywing ESC, and it just squeals a bit and shuts down. It costs exactly half the price of the Jeti......but it has no governor mode.

You are most probably right about the high current doing the damage and not the actual heat. The new motor is doing well right now, but I must admit that I find it difficult to get a nose design for proper cooling on this stuff. I'm curious to know how others get it to work when I look at some of the elctric stunters I've seen on this forum. They just look too conventional!
Keith R

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 04:59:01 PM »
Hi Keith
THANK YOU for publishing your test and data summaries.  I managed to let the smoke out of a motor last year too - darned hard to get it all back in!  I figured mine was a combination of running the motor at its limits, on a hot day, with inadequate cooling airflow.  I did an almost complete pattern, everything working fine.  DId the first loop of the clover, the motor screeched and shut-off like it was out of fuel...

I did not reallize the MVVS was a Hybrid motor, also known as an "outrunner killer"  Mike Palko over here has been using a Steve Neu "ORK" motor in his excellent Mustang.

Anyhow, since my burn-up last summer, I have been very concerned about cooling path design.  I have been working on arrangements that try to force air through the motor - but I will need some in-flight data like what you have recorded to see if I am on track.

I am disturbed by your observation that the heat is retained flight to flight - I have been counting on flying back to back flights but if the cooling isn't adequate then this will not work.

I wonder if we should be using a cooling fan on the ground betwen flights?

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 08:35:03 PM »
On my Arf Nobler, I took a dremel to the cowling and opened up the nose ring area as large as I could do but still leaving a tiny ridge of fiberglass to give it a little rigidity. The spinner backplate is just a little smaller than this opening, so air can flow directly into the motor. I have never noticed any issue with the motor heating, so I just assumed that it is ok. These motors (Scorpion) are claimed to be made with high temperature capable magnets and coatings on the magnet wire.

All I can say is that the extra layer covering the bell in your case, with perhaps a tight cowling must be putting yours over the edge. I am trying to remember what temps that normal enamel insulation melts at. Another point is that the highliner gliders do a quick climb to altitude and then turn off the motor, so it really isn't being run for a long continuous period--like we do in stunt.I'm wondering if that could explain why you are seeing these things while others aren't.

Like I said, we are both drawing similar battery currents, yet I have never had a problem with the motor.

What might be interesting for you is to try a flight with no spinner---then there should be plenty of air coming in. I would be curious if your temperature sensor would notice the difference.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 10:15:26 PM »
I've sold a few of the 4,6/840 motors to the glider folks and you are dead right, they climb up at full power, and then shut off, so cooling is really no big deal. I did in fact, fly the model one day with no spinner but this was before I had the Eagletree, but I will do the test again, and see what happens. I am really considering a radial cowl like the Yak and Sukoi for my next model.

Dennis, thanks for your comments as well. I don't believe that it's a problem to fly back-to-back flights at all, the motor should be able to handle running at its operating temperature all day.......if it is within its own limits. This is the data that we seem to have to find out.....the hard way, but basically I believe that the principle is not to operate close to the limits. It's like the glow stuff, the OS.46 on a pipe is enough power......but the PA.61 just cruises. On hot days, the motor that is on the edge will be pushed over its limit. These electric motors are absolutely amazing because even the smaller motors will swing a 12 x 6 prop at the same rpm and use the same average current, but then they cannot do this for very long. This makes it easy for us to believe that we can get away with a smaller, lighter motor.

One of our local hobby importers brings in Scorpion here and they are selling like hotcakes, so I intend to buy a couple of them to check out. They look really good, and the spec on the wire and magnets is also impressive. Right now though, I am fiddling with controlling the motor more from the timer side. I used Igor's timers, but I popped the one that I got from him (I'm pretty good at blowing this stuff). Igor does not mind sending me stuff at all, but I just wish that he would move a little closer to me.......the post is just too slow.....and the winters are just too cold for me to move to Slovakia! I have been an electronics technician and hobbyist for most of my working life, but I never got involved with the programmable stuff like the PIC chips. I bought myself the PicKit 2 USB programmer and managed to make myself a few of Igor's timers by just downloading his software. Soon I needed to fiddle with my own idea's....as usual, so I tried to learn some assembler language. It was just too much like hard work and I could not get my head around it quickly enough. I did some BASIC programming on the old Apple 2.......in the steam-driven days, so I did a search and found a neat program called GCBasic that is designed to do robotics with these PIC chips. Within a couple of hours I had my first timer working, and although this BASIC compiler is a bit limited, it can certainly allow me to do this basic job quite well. I'm now playing with my own rpm checking timer that does not need any fancy ESC with it's own governor. The FAI rules really need you to stop the prop before landing, so we need the brake function. Flying without the governor mode, is like flying with a hot 2-stroke R/C glow engine that changes speed all the time through the maneuvers. Most of the available ESC's for heli's have governor mode, but without the brake function because they do not want the heli guys to stop the rotors by mistake. The ESC's that do allow this, cost a lot more than the basic ones, so this is why I'm having a go at this. The real reason is of course, that I like to experiment...........just like I did with the diesel stuff. My wife just prefers me to do this with electric...for obvious reasons!

I'll try the heat thing without the spinner and then post the results soon as I get a chance. It seems like I don't actually need to fit the sensor inside the motor for the flight because it keeps the max temperature for a few minutes anyway. Maybe I can get some of that thermal compound to try. We shall see!
Keith R

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 07:47:51 AM »
Keith,
Here is a comment, FWIW!

Since the motors are burning, I think it argues that those temperatures are really up there. Remember that any sensor is going to have part of its surface exposed to air, so you are always measuring something in between the actual coil temp and the local air temp. Also the part of the coil deep inside the stator teeth has almost no air to cool it at all. It is probably really smoking! It relies on conduction to get the heat out to the surface where it is relatively cool.I also would argue to let the thing cool off a little between flights, especially if the outside temperature is warmer than normal.

If you stick with MVVS, I'd put on the "super-sized" motor, simply because the bigger the motor, the more surface area it will have to eliminate the heat. The power in will be about the same, maybe a little less since it probably will be a bit more efficient at your power levels than the smaller motor.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 11:01:32 AM »
Thanks Alan, Good comments and I trust your experienced judgement as well. Igor says very much the same in fact, in that you need more metal to dissapate the heat. The more that I listen to your comments, the more I see the importance of getting through the motor and not just over the casing. How about a liquid cooled stator?? mmmmmmmm....... P-51 with a real radiator??

We have some lousy weather right now, but I will do the test without the spinner soon and then post the results. Thanks so much for the feedback.
Keith R

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 10:38:05 AM »
Hello Keith,
If I remember correctly, the MVVS motors are constructed with an outer case that has relatively little thermal conduction to either the magnet bell or the windings in the center. This is a disadvantage that comes with the mechanical stiffness advantage of the design. (It solves the standard type outrunner bearing issues) Do I have it correct that some of the smaller sizes actually use a glass re-enforced plastic case? In that case, let me suggest that air blown over the outside of the motor is not very helpful. The cooling path should force cool air into a chamber that envelops one end of the motor (it seals around the end of the case) to force air through the cooling holes into the motor. The warm air exiting the other end of the motor needs a low resistance exit from the airplane. This can even be done in a "cool air in from behind" fashion with a rear-facing exhaust scoop just behind the prop that sucks warm air away from the exit holes in the motor case. I've pictured a turboprop engine style exhaust for this.
good luck,
 Dean Pappas
Dean Pappas

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 11:07:50 AM »
Here's another issue in cooling.

As the windings get so hot that the insulation starts to melt, the permanent Neodymium-xxx magnets--which block the heat getting out of the case) actually start to lose their strength. When this happens, the torque constant "kt" (~10/kv) drops (torque=kt*current). Well of course your governor tries to keep the rpm constant so it ups the throttle--making more current flow, which of course heats the windings even more, which......., in other words you get a thermal runaway  ~^, stopped only by your ESC perhaps cutting back on over-current, or the winding burning up.

According to the Scorpion motor "propaganda", their wire insulation is good up to 180C and the magnets are good up to 200C. They claim this is higher than "other" motors, but for the sake of argument, it gives you  an idea of upper limit of the acceptable temperature range.

I don't know if this happened to you when your motors burnt out or not. Since the magnetization loss is permanent, the motor basically is toast, even if the windings survive.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 12:59:39 PM »
Just refound this link---this is the Scorpion importer talking about magnets in principle, especially where their temperature ranges are.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7157040&postcount=35

If you read it, you can see that some demagnetize at relatively low temperatures.

here is copy/paste from part of the original post.

"The one downside to NdFeB magnets, is that when compared to other types of magnets, such as Samarium Cobalt, they have a relatively low operating temperature. The majority of magnets used motor construction have a maximum operating temperature of 100 C or 212 F. Operation above this value will cause permanent and irreversable loss of magnetic strength in the magnet. The amount of magnatism lost increases as the temperature increases, and once you reach the Curie temperature of the material, which is around 310 C, all magnatism is lost.

NdFeB magnets are available in several different compositions with varying max temperature ranges. These temperature ranges are signified by a letter code after the strength value. Here is a list of the ones that are currently available, along with the max temp.

80C - No suffix

100C - M

120C - H

150C - SH

180C - UH

200C - EH  "

Scorpion says they are using the "EH" type magnets.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 04:23:12 PM »
The thermal runaway that Alan describes does not even need the governor: operation at a constant duty cycle or throttle setting will produce ever increasing currents as the magnets lose field strength and the Kv rises, and that produces higher temps and eventually you start blowing ESCs while flight performance hardly suffers. Don't ask how I know!
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here