News:

• May 01, 2024, 05:50:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My electric Super Clown  (Read 8222 times)

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: My electric Super Clown
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2007, 08:29:56 PM »
Frank,
It is always easier to lend out someone else's equipment than your own..... :##

Besides as I said earlier, the only real way to get a feel for what it (the electric power train) can do is to try it out for yourself.  It is a decent set up and fun to fly.  I might feel different about letting others fly it if I had to wipe off a bunch of goo afterwards.

If this set up gets another person in the air because of the ease of assembly and stealth-like operation, then letting others try it out is well worth the potential risk of having to make a repair.

John
John Paris

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2007, 10:11:12 PM »
Frank,
It is always easier to lend out someone else's equipment than your own..... :##

Besides as I said earlier, the only real way to get a feel for what it (the electric power train) can do is to try it out for yourself.  It is a decent set up and fun to fly.  I might feel different about letting others fly it if I had to wipe off a bunch of goo afterwards.

If this set up gets another person in the air because of the ease of assembly and stealth-like operation, then letting others try it out is well worth the potential risk of having to make a repair.

John

You've got me sold Big John. Lend that puppy out!!

Would you like to try tying a string to it's tail and flying it ala Banjok/Palco style? It would be a first and Sig would be a great venue for such an attempt.
Frank Carlisle

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2007, 09:51:13 AM »
Frank,
I think that part of their set up includes the engine run variation with airplane angular position (Slob-style) and that would not happen with the ESC.  I wonder why there is a trend to have an airplane not fly like an airplane (Slobbing and 3-D)...
John
John Paris

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2007, 10:39:43 AM »
Maybe the Bi-Slob guys are trying to be as cool as RC dudes. LL~
Frank Carlisle

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2007, 08:36:13 PM »
Well, the E-SuperClown is still very much alive and flying when I get a chance.  I thought I would drop in an update on an interesting find I had today on the Brodak charger and balancer.  As I have stated before, obtaining a solid green light on the charger was near impossible.  On battery #1 with 20 charges I have had it happen 2 times and battery #2 with 13 charges has not had a hit even after extremely long (2+hours at the 2 amp rate) charges.  Without making anyone go back and read the long thread, I have been using the charger temperature to get a feel of when the charging is actually done regardless of what the lights are trying to tell me.  When it is cool and sufficient time has passed, the battery is charged.  The charger generally will flash the green light and then go back into charge.  Note that I have followed the instructions by using the charger and balancer when charging the battery.

In any case, today when I was charging the batteries and I was at a point where I was sure the battery was charged (cool charger and 2+ hours of charge at 2 amps) I pulled off the balancer and waited for a bit.  The charger jumped to a solid green light indicating a full charge for battery #1.  I set up battery #2 to charge while I continued to mow "Paris Field" and went on to wash the motorcycle.  Again 2 hours had passed and the charger was cool, but no solid green light (no flasher either as I ran out of patience before it would flash).  So I tried removing the balancer and sure enough, the green light came on after a short wait.  Interesting discovery.  From what I understand Dennis Adamisin was having issues with his charger showing full charge even after a good amount of waiting using an identical system.

While I know that there are probably better chargers and balancers out there, I would still like to stick with the base system that Brodak offers and try to learn as much from it as I can.  After my findings today I have a few questions:

The first is if the balancer is lowering the voltage/current enough in the balancing process to fool the charger into thinking that charging needs to continue?  Which leads to "What is the balancer doing in the balancing process and how?"

The next is "What do the lights on the balancer indicate and do they all need to be on or off for the battery to be balanced?"

Finally, "How long can a battery be charged without the balancer in place and is the short duration check I am doing causing any potential harm to the cells?"

I hope that this might help someone out and that someone can ring in with some feedback on the questions I have posed.
Thanks,
John
John Paris

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2007, 12:36:53 AM »
Hi John,

Thanks for sticking with this problem and trying to get the most out of the stock system. I'm sure your research will help others that will buy this E-ARF. ..... Your right, there are much better, easier to use, chargers out there, and that would be the simple solution. The Multiplex is great for our size batteries, up to 5 cell and 5 Amp batteries, and it is only $100. Or the $57 Thunder Power unit.

I am not familiar with the charger you are using but I may be able to shed some light on some of your questions.

1. I use the Thunder power balancers. Yours sounds like it gives similar results to mine. My balancer shows my batteries are charged (beeps the correct # of times) and balanced, BUT the charger (both my TP and Multiplex) continues charging, like yours seems to be doing, and puts several hundred more mAh into the battery before they automatically shutoff. It seems like it takes some extra time to bring that last low cell up to full charge before the charger finally says: "OK, were really done now".
      Our chargers are not 100% efficient. At the 4.2 Amp rate (1C for my batteries) it takes 57 min to put 3.255 Amps back into the battery. You may want to see how long it should take at your "C" rate. It may take longer than 2 hours?

2. A safe way to check to see if your batteries are fully charged is to use a simple volt meter. If it is a 4 cell battery it should charge to about 16.7 Volts if it is a 3 cell it should be around 12.58 Volts when fully charged. (CAUTION: Please be carefull using the meter probes. You don't want to short out your battery!)

3. Regarding charging without using a balancer: Yes, some people still never use a balancer. Technically, it is not really needed to charge your batteries, but it's many benefits make it worthwhile to use. When I first got into elec R/C many years ago, the batteries did NOT have a balancer plug. In fact, we never heard of a balancer. Now, most of us would not think of charging without one. They are an excellent safety feature, and they will prolong the effective life of your battery.

4. RE: lights on your charger. Sorry, can't help you there. Mike may be able to help you on this. I have six chargers and all but one have a digital display that tells me everything I need to know. Volts, mAh used, time, "C" level, etc. The one with the lights is the little, inexpensive ($57) Thunder Power charger. Each light has a label next to it telling me what it means.

It is interesting to see how this ground breaking E-ARF is playing out. I admire John for trying this, and I realize that he was going for a mass market price point, but the charger sounds like it is a weak link in the system. It should be a little more user friendly with better instructions. It is a very important part of the package. Like Kim has wisely said before, "....ECL is not inexpensive if you want IC equivalent power, reliability, user friendly, and safe performance".

EDITORIAL: Read at your own risk?   Z@@ZZZ

After over 100 ECL flights (and many hundreds of E-R/C flights) I am still a big fan of e power. But I agree with Kim, I don't think there is a "close" E cost equivalent of a CL OS .20FP anywhere in our near future.  I think we are there (within 25% of cost) for an ECL contest competitive .46 size plane. And also the same for the .60 to .91 size CL plane.

We have all heard about the many benefits of ECL. After flying in and judging at 4 contests this year, I can safely say that the REAL advantage to ECL is not the quiet, or the lack of a mess to clean up, or the mass that is now located closer to the CG (less barbell affect), or the sanitary installs, ...... it is the RELIABILITY and REPEATABILITY of the power run throughout the ENTIRE flight!

I have been surprised at how many "less than ideal" IC runs there are in CL. At contests even the top Expert pilots, with beautiful planes, sometimes have marginal runs that cost them points, especially when the wind picks up.

I was at the practice field last week, there were only two of us. One of our Expert class pilots was on one circle and was having IC problems and only got in two good flights, and two flights that were only partial patterns. I was on the other circle and flew six flights (all six of my batteries). Since they were charging while I was flying, I flew three more flights. My friend, who will remain nameless, was still working on his engine when I left. I admit this is an extreme case, but it shows what can happen.

The reliability is worth it's weight in GOLD. I never have to worry about my power. I get a perfect stunt run every time. It NEVER ever burps, coughs, or changes in any way. Now, if I can just find a way to get my hourglasses to look better, and my etc. ......  LL~

PS: I DO miss the smell of Nitro and Burning Castor. ..... Maybe I could make a spray "CL Scent" to use in the pits?  n~

Regards,   H^^

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2007, 08:05:09 PM »
  I have noticed through this entire thread that  you get one flight per battery charge.  Then it takes 1 to 1.5 hours or so to recharge one.  That means that if I wish to get 10 to 15 flights per day of practice,  I will need that many batteries as there is no electric power at the field.  We have two paved circles and three BIG grass circles  that are available for use all the time so there is no waiting.  how do I get around having to buy $1000.00 worth of batteries?

Will a camping type A/C power plant work?  How about an a/c inverter on the car?

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2007, 11:45:25 PM »
  I have noticed through this entire thread that  you get one flight per battery charge.  Then it takes 1 to 1.5 hours or so to recharge one.  That means that if I wish to get 10 to 15 flights per day of practice,  I will need that many batteries as there is no electric power at the field.  We have two paved circles and three BIG grass circles  that are available for use all the time so there is no waiting.  how do I get around having to buy $1000.00 worth of batteries?

Will a camping type A/C power plant work?  How about an a/c inverter on the car?

Bigiron

Marvin,

You ask some very important questions. We have addressed these questions in past posts, but it was always buried in different subjects, but never answered directly.

1. RE Charging power:

Yes, RV power or a generator unit, or your car will work. We only need a 12V power supply for our chargers. When we have 110V available we use an inexpensive ($80) 12V Switching power supply (from Radio Shack) to power our 12V chargers. .... Many use an auto battery (Mike, AKA: "Muscles", Palko for ex. ;-) uses a 50+lb auto battery at the field to charge his batteries. This should give you around 10+ charges. You could use your car battery as many do, this has the advantage of being automatically charged, but the disadvantage of leaving you stranded at the field if depleted too much.  n1

I use two 18 Amp 12V batteries that weigh 15 lbs. ea.  when I fly at a local park. These give me 3 charges each and are very easy to carry. Both my club fields have 110V or 12V power. One from the parks department and one just for us electric flyers, from the large Solar Panels on our club buildings roof. :-)

It sounds like you have a very nice field. If you have drive up access, close to your pits, I would think that Mike's 50+ lb. 12V Auto battery would be the perfect solution for your needs.

2. RE the time to charge:

I use the Thunder Power 1010C charger with their 210 balancer with data port. This excellent combination allows me to safely charge TWO batteries simultaneously in 57 min. I can do it in 20 min. if I am brave enough to use the authorized 3C rate for this TP charging system. (I have not been this brave yet ;-). I also have a Multiplex charger that I use to charge a third battery if needed. This system allows me to fly as long as I can keep it up.

For the majority of competitive flyers 2 to 4 batteries, with the above charging system, should be adequate for their needs. For an extremely serious competitor like yourself (15 CL flights per session) you may need six batteries, which allow you to fly all day, sun up to sun down! ;-)

I have six batteries, only because I am lazy, and I usually fly 1 CL flt. then 1 RC for a total of 12 flights per session. That is more than enough flying for me. :-)  I still often recharge everything while I am at the field flying, so that I do not have to do it at home, and this gets me a head start for the next day of flying. But some days I'm real lazy and just fly. Enjoying perfectly reliable, repeatable, unlimited (for my plane), smooth, quiet, power. Flight, after Flight, after Flight......  #^

3. RE Battery Cost:

For a very serious competitor that flys 15 flights per session, you must burn a lot of fuel. Just think of batteries as your fuel supply. The price of the two are very close to the same. We need to think in terms of COST PER FLIGHT, not the cost of individual items by themselves.

The excellent Evo batteries cost $170 each. We est. that we will get around 200 flights per battery. At 195 flights that comes to $.87 per flight. A .46 uses 5.5 oz. of fuel per flt, at $20/gal this = $.87 per flight. Your milage may vary, but it will still be close enough that batteries are very competitive with glow fuel. They are NOT the big expense everyone sees them as. You are just buying your fuel in advance, in 8.5 gal packages!

I hope this helped with some of your questions. Please feel free to ask for more details if you need them.

Regards,  H^^

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2007, 10:26:03 AM »

"For a very serious competitor that flys 15 flights per session, you must burn a lot of fuel. Just think of batteries as your fuel supply. The price of the two are very close to the same. We need to think in terms of COST PER FLIGHT, not the cost of individual items by themselves".

I hope this helped with some of your questions. Please feel free to ask for more details if you need them.

Thanks for the good words, but I am not a "serious competitor" as such.  I fly mostly OT and Classic, but do enter PAMPA class Advanced with my classic ships.
  My fuel cost is $12.00 per gal and I use three to four cases per year.  My consumption is 3.5 to 4.0 ounces per flight. (I think that figures out to be somewhere around $0.40 per flight).  The engine(s) I use cost me about $55 each and usually last 8 to 10 years.  (unless I have a BAD year like this year--- crashes took out two of my best engines).
  I am seriously thinking of looking toward E power so I have copied the data you gave for future consideration. Yes, it has helped immensely.
  Thanks again for the reply.

Bigiron   aka  Marvin Denny
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2007, 11:41:53 AM »
PLACE YOUR BETS!  ???

I'm betting Marv's next Bi-Slob will be a Bi-Slob-E!  #^

(well maybe not...)   LL~
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2007, 11:54:49 AM »
  At least there would be plenty of room to place the battery.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2007, 07:26:47 PM »
Marv:
In fact you'd have room to carry that 18A charging battery Rudy mentioned!  #^

All seriousness aside, while I am a big fan of e-power, there are some things that should NOT be messed with - like Fox 35's in Bi-Slobs!  n1
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2007, 07:50:47 PM »
I flew the E-Clown this ihread got started with this past Saturday.
It's way fast for stunt. John is going to try different props to get slower laps.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2007, 11:05:35 PM »
I flew the E-Clown this thread got started with this past Saturday.
It's way fast for stunt. John is going to try different props to get slower laps.

Hi Frank,

Sorry my ans. got a little off topic. I promise that I did not mean to be clowning around with your thread.   n~

Do you have a way to adjust the RPM on your set-up? Like we do with our JMP timers?

I have tried 10 different props with my ECL P-40. I ended up going with the same prop used by Linhart Smith, and Will Moore, an APC 12x6 E.  I'm glad I followed their advice. By turning down the RPM from 10,500 with a Bolly CF 11 1/4x4 prop, to 9,100 with the APC, I now have a setup that is quieter, seems smoother, and pulls like a freight train! On 62' E to E lines, I get perfect 5.0 sec lap times which fits my flying style to a "T". :-)

If you can adjust the RPM you may want to try a larger dia. with a relatively higher pitch, and lower RPM to get the lap times you want. I know that "low pitch" is almost sacred in CL but IMHO that really has more to do with the idiosyncrasies of 2CL engines than any natural law.  S?P Our ECL systems (with Outrunner motors) seem to like more dia and pitch at lower RPMs, much like the 4CL engines do. I'm sure Mike, and others will have more to say on this, and more experimentation will give us more answers in the future. .... Good Luck, and please keep us posted.
Rudy
AMA 1667

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here