News:

• April 24, 2024, 02:52:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Multi pack chargers - are there any?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Multi pack chargers - are there any?
« on: September 18, 2008, 09:41:17 PM »
Guys,

Now that I've come over to the Lite side of batteries and picked up three lipo packs, I was wondering if there are any charges that can charge more than one pack at a time? This was one thing that was really good about the A123's you could charge a 4600mah pack in about 25min. With the lipo's needing a 1C rate that could mean a few hours per pack for 4000mah packs.

Since you can't plug in the lipos and forget them getting ready for next days flying will take some planing to get everything charged. I guess one solution is having a couple chargers plugged into the power supply but being able to charge several packs at the same time from one charger would be nice. Any out there?

Best,       Dennis

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Multi pack chargers - are there any?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:10:54 PM »
Dennis the Cellpro 10s will do 2  1s-5s packs at the same time. www.fmadirect.com
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 11:11:13 PM »
Hi Dennis,

I'm so glad to see you and your family moving ever further into the future of model flying. With your families legendary building and flying skills combined with a modern power system I fully expect to see one or more of you standing on the podium at the worlds in a few years! :-)

In addition to the FMA charger there is the excellent Thunder Power 1010 charger. By using this charger with the large TP balancer, you can charge two 4S or 5S 4000+ mAh batteries at the same time. I have only charged mine at 1.5C rate, but TP says you can do them at 3C (Yikes!;-) because of their feedback loop technology safety feature.

I wish someone would make a larger version of my Great Planes "PolyCharge 4". I use it to charge my smaller 3S 2100 mAh batteries, 4 at a time. This would be a perfect solution for our ECL needs. It is limited to a 3 amp charge setting for each battery. It only cost $99, and is very easy to use.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKAU0&P=7

A more powerful version would be great to have, even if they have to charge us near $200 for it.

You touched on a good solution, more chargers. As I have said several times before: "chargers are cheaper than our batteries, and this is a good solution to keep flying all day". IMHO: One of the best bargins out there is the excellent Multiplex "LN5014" Charger. This will charge up to 5S at 5 amps.  At only $75 ea. you can afford to have two or three. This will help keep you in the air all day. :-)  At your LHS, or:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKSY1&P=ML

BTW: Why did you say it would take you 2 hours to charge your 4300 mAh battery at 1C rate?? Mine take about 50 min. each at 1C.

Regards,  H^^

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 11:58:37 PM »
with my recent limited experience, I to am seeing times to recharge at 1C of 50 minutes. I just got the parts to set up my other charger tonight so I will have two chargers and balancers so can stagger and charge two Packs at a time. ow my packs are 4270 Mah 14.8 V Evo's
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 08:08:22 AM »
Most "quality" packs can withstand 2C or even 3C charge rates as long as you are using a balance charger (one that is charging through the balance connector). That being said, a lot of time is spent by the charger on the last 5% of the charge when most of the delicate balancing is being done. If your packs are really oversized somewhat, you can bail out at this last stage if you are being pressed for time. However in general, balancing the packs will keep all cells in a pack equalized and prevent cases where a single cell gets over depleted [really bad] in a run.

Of course to charge at 2C with a 4000mAHr pack means you need a charger that can charge at 8 amps. My FMA 4s charger is maxed out a 4 amps--so I can charge my 2100 packs at a just under 2C rate. My Astro 109 can charge at 8A I think, but it isn't a balance charger and my "Blinky" balancer is a bit too slow in balancing to keep up with a 2C rate I think.

I do note that FMA has a deal right now on both the 10S ($170) and on two 4s (2 for the price of 1 and a half). The code for the special price is  SP091308 . Also they have a special $39 deal on my favorite 3s2100 lipo pack! (same code).

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 08:32:18 AM »
The other "Dennis" (stuntguy13) saved me the trouble of asking the same question:  H^^
 to wit: is it better to have a "gang" charger or to have multiple single chargers?

I'm thinking about the Great Planes Poly-charge, each station charging through an Equinox balancer for my 4S x 2500's.  Next queston is what kind of power supply are you guys with the multipack chargers using?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 09:47:51 AM »
aLAN,
WHAT 3S 2100 PACKS ARE THOSE,  can you hook me up with a link? thanks I ahve need for some 2100 packs
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 10:44:45 AM »
Mark I gave you the link in my post.  Itm # CP02100-3s-N
Leester
ama 830538

Alan Hahn

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 01:40:59 PM »
aLAN,
WHAT 3S 2100 PACKS ARE THOSE,  can you hook me up with a link? thanks I ahve need for some 2100 packs

As Leester says, the link is at FMA. You need to put that code in the comments box when you check out to get the discount.

I have been using only these FMA 2100 cells now (in both the 3s and 4s package) and have been pretty happy.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 01:41:32 PM »
The other "Dennis" (stuntguy13) saved me the trouble of asking the same question:  H^^
 to wit: is it better to have a "gang" charger or to have multiple single chargers?

I'm thinking about the Great Planes Poly-charge, each station charging through an Equinox balancer for my 4S x 2500's.  Next queston is what kind of power supply are you guys with the multipack chargers using?

Hi Denny,

The Poly-charge 4 I use, and mentioned in my prior post, is great at the field. I can fly my mini pattern plane all day with my 6 3S 2100 batteries, and go home with them all charged too. :-) .... BUT, this charger is light on features. NO display, only blinking lights, NO idea of charge amt/flight, NO balancing, must use separate balancer. NO discharge ability.

Even with these limitations it is still a nice unit, and a good solution. If you are using smaller batteries it may be a very good choice. I have my batteries numbered so I rotate them between one of my balancers, so that at least every 4th charge they get a fully balanced charge. A nice feature is the easy dial you turn to set the charge rate, it can be different for each battery. It also automatically senses the correct V to use for each battery. 

Power Supply: I use the very good PS from my friends at SinCityJets in LV. It has three output jacks for three chargers. It is small, light, has two fans and way cool blue lights inside. :-) It is only $75 and it works great. Here is the link:

http://sincityjets.com/store-accessories.htm

Make sure you get a "switching power supply". If you go to an electronics store they may try and sell you a lab PS that will weigh about 25 pounds.  The one above weighs < 2 lbs.

The thin, light one from Radio Shack is also good. Make sure it is at least 18 amps, 20 to 25 amps is even better if you want to charge multiple 4 amp batteries.  Between the PS and our three batteries being charged there is a lot of energy being lost. ;-)

There are other good PS out there, but I would be wary of some of the inexpensive ones. I tried one once, from my LHS, and it failed in a week. ....... But, then again,  your milage may vary? ;-)

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Advertise Here
Tags: chargers  battery 

Advertise Here