News:

• February 17, 2018, 09:59:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MP Max Bee  (Read 917 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
MP Max Bee
« on: December 20, 2017, 03:54:47 PM »
Hello,
I have spent the last three years building and modifying glow and electric planes, flying, destroying, building something else, flying again, destroying again and so on.

It was time consuming, expensive and frustrating but I have learned a lot.

Now, I fly the pattern well enough to build something that will fly well enough to allow me to improve the corners, the hourglass and whatever is there to improve.

I got the set of Max Bee ribs from Patrick MacKenzie (thanks Patrick!) and partially finished the wing for this plane (please see the attachment).

Details: I am building the Max Bee wing in one piece but it will be removable. This what you see weights 128 grams ( 4.5 oz. ). The fixture cost is $11.50 CAD - three pieces of the drywall mount "C" shape steel beams from Home Depot supporting the L.E and the T.E.- Tom Morris style.

I hope all of you will see how this very simple and light fixture helps in building a very straight balsa wing.
Please contact me directly at matt.piatkowski@gmail.com if you need clarification.

Happy Holidays (Merry Christmas for me)

Matt

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
Re: MP Max Bee
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 07:08:05 PM »
Great start Matt, looking good.   I hope to build one myself in the near future.

Wondering if you have chosen the power system (motor/battery/esc/prop) for your Bee yet.

Vince

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 08:41:54 PM »

I got the set of Max Bee ribs from Patrick MacKenzie (thanks Patrick!) 

Cool.. didn't know Patrick or anyone else has the Max Bee ribs.  :) 
Joe Yau
MAAC: C-9996

Offline Daniel_Munro

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 12:53:46 AM »
Looks fantastic. I recently acquired a Max Bee and itís a wonderful plane. Trimming it is challenging my limited experience buts I am getting there slowly.

Offline Avaiojet

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 05:21:29 AM »
Max Bee.

Absolutely a great looking model.

Good start Matt!  H^^

I'm looking!

CB
Alpha Mike Foxtrot.

Owner of CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder."

"No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."

Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten.

I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.

"Ya gotta love it when a plane comes together."

Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."

"Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 04:16:41 PM »
Hello,
I was busy with logistics of my trip to EU in May, June and July 2018 and made some progress only recently. Please see the attachments.

70-75% of the foam from the horizontal stabilizer will be removed after I finish shaping it, leaving only 1/4" wide foam ribs, spaced 2.25". Then, I will skin the stabilizer with 1/16" 6.8 lbs./cu. inch balsa. The elevator is made using two slightly curved shells, made using 1/16" 6.5 lbs./cu. inch balsa (only one is shown). The aluminum tubes, that will be glued with epoxy between both shells, are for the elevator's horn. The horns type and geometry are from Igor's plans but there is a slot in the elevator's horn. By moving a slider that can be locked in this slot, the throw of the elevator can be adjusted very precisely.

When the entire horizontal tail assembly is ready, I will spray paint it directly on bare balsa. Then, I will sand the painted balsa surfaces with #300-400 sand paper, spray paint again, sand again and paint for the third time. Then, I will cover everything with Doculam. This method was used on my eParrot and the results were very encouraging. Three very thin coats of some acrylic paint in electric / candy colors are normally enough to have the balsa surface reasonably smooth and ready for the transparent shrinkable covering.

Cobra 3515/18 with Pol-Prop 11.5 x 6" and 5S 2800 mAh. Thunder Power battery is shown. This motor can be used also with Igor's carbon composite propellers and 6S 2800 mAh. Thunder Power. I am planning to try two combinations of ESC and timers, including Igor's active timer.

The grass gear with grass wheels having 2.5" diameter is shown. Smaller wheels (2 " dia.) are for the hard surface. Weight difference of 5 grams is negligible but larger wheels handle better the grassy and sometimes a bit bumpy terrain.

The plane will be take-apart with the entire wing as one piece, the tail assembly as two pieces and fuselage as another piece. Everything will go into the box 63" x 12" x 15" for air transport.

Regards,
M

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 07:43:10 PM »
Doesnít Igor have something to say about that reversed bellcrank..?

Lauri

Online Howard Rush

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 11:10:49 PM »
Everything will go into the box 63" x 12" x 15" for air transport.

What airline will take that size box now?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Howard Rush

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 11:13:04 PM »
Doesnít Igor have something to say about that reversed bellcrank..?

Note sign change from the flap device.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 11:19:27 AM »
Lauri,
B-crank has to be mounted this way for the original Igor's logarithmic control system. Howard used the term "sign change", you used and I use the term reversed b-crank.

Howard,
Polish Airlines (PLL Lot) will take such box as the additional checked baggage. I have it in writing from them. I am flying PLL Lot from Toronto, Canada to Warsaw, Poland and back. The cost: $254 CAD one way. By the way: hard shell containers for snowboards have dimensions similar to my box. I was considering such container but finally decided to order a plywood box that is better tailored to the model's dimensions, including the foam padding.

Regards,
M

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 06:43:39 AM »
Hello,

More work has been done on elevator. Please see the attachments.

After consulting Igor, I have added short spars to the elevator. In Igor's original design, these spars are machined using the PCB material.
I have decided to use the 1/16" plywood, reinforced in the critical area by CA. I called the critical areas "forks" and it is easy to see where they are.

Because Max Bee II elevator is thin (1/4") and large, these forks help to transfer the forces to larger area of the elevator's 1/16" balsa shells.
At this moment, both halves of the elevator are together for ease of gluing the shells together. I will separate and shape the elevator's halves later.

This what you see on the photos weights 68 grams. I expect to shave about 10 grams forming the horizontal stabilizer and add about 20 grams skinning it.

M

Online Howard Rush

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 10:22:09 AM »
Polish Airlines (PLL Lot) will take such box as the additional checked baggage. I have it in writing from them. I am flying PLL Lot from Toronto, Canada to Warsaw, Poland and back. The cost: $254 CAD one way.

Good to know that option is available, if pricey.  I flew LOT from Chicago to Warsaw with a 62"-total-dimension box free in 2014.  Wings are removable from my dog individually.  The wing takeapart hardware was designed by a Boeing stress man and made by a Boeing machinist, so you know it's good.   
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Traian Dorin Morosanu

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 01:34:29 PM »
Howard if I was making those parts they would be even better :)
Matt what is the purpose of the aluminium tubes? And what is the purpose of the vertical ply pieces I am a litle lost.

Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Tags: