News:

• May 21, 2024, 01:40:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mounting Patterns  (Read 794 times)

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Mounting Patterns
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:17:38 PM »
Are the mounting patterns for motors universal for like size motors?  Is it pretty easy to switch brands without much modifications? 
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
Re: Mounting Patterns
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:54:42 PM »
a lot of motors have the same spacing on the cans - usually 25mm apart and M3 screws - some like the Pletts have 2 screws only and some of the cheap ones like turnigy have one hole offset so you HAVE to use their mount.

now saying that - you can get X (cross) mounts that are the same size and have the same mounting holes - so the holes for the motor itself doesnt matter.

one more thing - which I am now doing - is making the motor mounting board out of G10 fibreglass plate - so you can make them all the same and have  a different one for each motor - so you can chop and change as you see fit - I'll try and get a pic in here tonight,
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:31:31 PM by Wynn Robins »
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 06:36:14 AM »
Guys
The defacto front mounting hole spacing is a 25mm diameter circle, not all manufactures comply with this but the Plettenberg, AXI, Scorpion, Hyperion all use 2 or four holes on a 25mm diameter circle or a 12.5mm radius.
Norm

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 06:49:01 AM »
Thank you very much.
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:07:52 AM »
Here is a bulkhead for mounting either the E-flite 25 or 32 for a front mount. 
the motor mount itself is made of G10 fiberglass plate that is 1/8" thick.  The material is available from McMaster & Carr for about $20 a sq. ft.
Alan Resinger

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 09:28:51 AM »
On my Electrajet, I crafted the front firewall with slots for the screws, my plan from the outset was to be able to try different motors. While most of them are similar diameter bolt patterns as mentioned, I have a couple that are different. so I have what is virtually an "X" on the firewall, IOW slots radiating from the center at each of the four quadrants,, I am at work and dont have a picture
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 06:38:50 AM »
Here is a bulkhead for mounting either the E-flite 25 or 32 for a front mount. 
the motor mount itself is made of G10 fiberglass plate that is 1/8" thick.  The material is available from McMaster & Carr for about $20 a sq. ft.
Alan Resinger

Alan,

Do you glue the G10 with traditional epoxy or does it require special handling?

Zuriel
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 08:04:36 AM »
Zuriel,
Initial gluing of the G10 to the fuse sides is with CA. I then used small hard balsa gussets that are glued in with thickened epoxy (West system and microfibers).  This was to 1/64" plywood fuse doublers on the 3/32" fuse sides.  
Alan

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 04:17:53 PM »
Since posting the picture of the mount in my newest model with the G10 fiberglass plate front mount I've gotten a few e-mails about how I could have the motor set so far back from the front of the model.  The model is the Crossfire design of Bob Hunt and is going to use an E-flite 32 for power.  The motor has a 5mm shaft and I plan on using one of Randy Smith's Aero Products spinners.  Because I fly clockwise I use tractor props as opposed to pushers.  I needed to be able adapt to that spinner.  I ordered a long collet assembly that fits a 5mm shaft from gobrushless.com.  The threaded shaft on this collet has a metric mesurment of 6mm with a 1mm pitch which is standard for 6mm.  The shaft was long enough but did require a spacer to get the spinner backplate properly located.  I also needed a special nut that was half threaded for the 6mm shaft and half threaded for the 1/4 X 28 front cone of the Aero Products spinner.  Jim Lee made the special adapter nuts for the unit.  Hope this helps answer any questions.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:49:21 PM by Alan Resinger »

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 06:37:49 PM »
That clears things up . Thanks Alan . Great looking project.
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here