News:

• May 10, 2024, 07:08:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Well, I finally did it.  (Read 825 times)

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Well, I finally did it.
« on: June 27, 2010, 04:45:24 PM »
Just spent a great weekend at a SAM 35 event at Old Warden Aerodrome in the UK (Home of the Shuttleworth Collection). Took my Electric Ringmaster S1 along and was cajoled into entering the Vintage Aerobatics event. The model was unflown after a rebuild (1st pic) due to a figure 9, I had never entered a competition in my life but what the hell, why not. If I'm going to embarrise myself why not do it in front of as many people as possible.  y1 So after registration, pull testing etc I got in a single practice flight. A few more revs would have been nice but decided to go with it as it was. To cut a "very" long story short (I could bore you all for hours with a recap of the weekend). 2 Faultless runs, it performed far better than I did and casual interest became a string of questions and interested  modellers after each of the flights. There were a few mutterings from some very smelly people struggling to get a decent engine run but overall the reactions of people was Wow! "I would never have thought it possible".

I did not even know the schedule and had never even attempted some of the manoeuvres before so had to fly with them written down on a piece of paper which I referred to throughout the flights.

Oh I came 6th (9 Entrants) so not a bad 1st attempt. I also (Apparently) had the dubious honour of flying the 1st electric controlline model at a UK SAM 35 event.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
Re: Well, I finally did it.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 08:23:28 PM »
AWESOME John - Well done!!!!

I was the first to fly ECL in New Zealand also, so we have a first in common!!!!
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 09:00:22 PM »
Way to go John!!!

I especially like that she wears my Electric Ringmaster decal with the lighting bolt! LOL

We will expect you to represent the UK in the annual Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon next October.

Cheers, John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 07:47:18 AM »
Thanks both,
 On the subject of the Ringmaster Decal 2 people actually asked where they could buy the kit and when I said it was scratch built from a plan said "Oh I assumed it was a kit because you have the stickers on the wing". I expected the SAM crowd to be tough nuts to crack and was very aware that crashing, setting the field on fire etc %^@ would probably put Electric control line in the UK back 5 years at least, but as I said it performed exactly as I have come to expect. Equally suprising was the interest shown by confirmed freeflighters, not to return to control line but simply how it all worked and it's application to a freeflight environment. (Fully controllable timed engine run, repeatable, infinite throttle adjustment, no clean up, no smells. no airframe degredation

As far as the roundup is concerned I am unfortunately in Gran Canaria on vacation that weekend. :( but having said that there is a very good control line club ( http://www.clubtamaran.com/ ) which operates about 15 miles from where we are staying. So...... A take apart RM just might work. (I may well end up in the divorce courts though). mw~ 

TTFN
John
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here