News:

• May 08, 2024, 02:03:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bye bye Vector......  (Read 2403 times)

Offline JohnPrator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Bye bye Vector......
« on: March 28, 2011, 09:21:57 AM »
Well damn, had a bit of a "mishap" with my Vector this weekend and lawn darted that baby like no other. Shoot man, I was just starting to get her trimmed a bit better and getting the hang of it, or so I thought anyway. Luckily my wife had the camera rolling.... HB~>

First, here is a flight with a small camera attached to the wing facing towards the pilot, thought this was pretty cool.

and then there's this one; the incident;
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Bye bye Vector......
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing - I hate it big time but wow!!   By the way pick up all of the peices. I have repaired worse.  it gets heavy but gets you flying in a hurry.  Ugly drag makes it fly better.
 :'(   :'(   :'(   :'(   :'(

Ps Store the battery in a safe place - it could still chetch on fire.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:16:49 AM »
John,
What was that rattle near the end of the flight. Motor didn't sound too good after either. But I'm sure that didn't matter after the last flight. Well back to the drawing board and more RR's   #^
Later,
Evolve or get left behind!

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 11:52:51 AM »
Too bad John!!! I would deactivate that battery (drain it down to zero volts SLOWLY) and recycle it at a suitable electronics recycling center.

Get out your building board and here is a set of plans for a Ringmaster that you can convert to electric. Just take the file to a copy shop and have them printed it at 100%.

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 12:57:53 PM »
Hate that!
If I could offer a suggestion perhaps? It appears that you might have been trying to do the outsides perpendicular to the wind? at leawst based on where you did the wingover, and loops. Remember to keep your manuevers on the downwind side of the circle, it makes a HUGE difference in performance and ability to fly the manuevers.
Get something new built, and get back on the horse,, Trust me, I have stuffed a lot of airplanes! it gets better
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 01:50:16 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that sucks man !!!  been there done that a few times - still not good.

get another one up and ready to go - then get back in the ar  y1
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 03:24:28 PM »
Thanks for sharing - I hate it big time but wow!!   By the way pick up all of the peices. I have repaired worse.  it gets heavy but gets you flying in a hurry.  Ugly drag makes it fly better.
 :'(   :'(   :'(   :'(   :'(

Ps Store the battery in a safe place - it could still chetch on fire.

Yeah it sure sucked but unfortunately that baby went out with the trash this morning. I couldn't have repaired it anyway, just not that skilled(I don't think some of you guys realize just how skilled you are!). The battery is sitting on concrete and I plan to take it to a recycle center today or tomorrow. Thanks for the tips!

John,
What was that rattle near the end of the flight. Motor didn't sound too good after either. But I'm sure that didn't matter after the last flight. Well back to the drawing board and more RR's   #^

Hi Darrell,

The noise in the first video(different flight) was from a prop strike where I smacked the ground just enough to break the tip off of the prop. The Fire Dept was across the street doing drills or something and while I was flying they kept honking a VERY loud horn, on the second honk it scared me and I turned away just for a second which was just long enough to hit the ground! If you watch closely you can see me turn away right before I hit the ground and then it starts vibrating/shaking until the time ran out. Honestly I thought the ESC would shut it down but it didn't. Keep in mind this is the first video I'm talking about, the second one I just ran that baby smack into the ground! :-[

Too bad John!!! I would deactivate that battery (drain it down to zero volts SLOWLY) and recycle it at a suitable electronics recycling center.

Get out your building board and here is a set of plans for a Ringmaster that you can convert to electric. Just take the file to a copy shop and have them printed it at 100%.

John

Hi John,

Taking the battery to a center asap. Wow John, thank you for the Ringmaster plans! Very nice sir. I do have an SV-11 on the way but would also like to have a Ringmaster, gotta join the club sooner or later! Thank you. :D

Hate that!
If I could offer a suggestion perhaps? It appears that you might have been trying to do the outsides perpendicular to the wind? at leawst based on where you did the wingover, and loops. Remember to keep your manuevers on the downwind side of the circle, it makes a HUGE difference in performance and ability to fly the manuevers.
Get something new built, and get back on the horse,, Trust me, I have stuffed a lot of airplanes! it gets better

Hi Mark,

Your suggestion is taken, thank you! I thought I read somewhere to have your planes nose into the wind for them but now I see that you're correct and I probably should've done them in the same spot as I did the wing over and regular loops. Could this have been my major mistake? Oh well, if so then I've learned a darn important lesson that's for sure! Oh believe me, I'm not discouraged-already have an SV-11 on the way baby! Thanks for the help Mark.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that sucks man !!!  been there done that a few times - still not good.

get another one up and ready to go - then get back in the ar  y1

Hey Wynn,

Figured you'd catch what I did sooner or later, thanks so much for your help with the Vector-much appreciated. Just sorry that I wadded her up, but, my new plane should be here this week and this time I got an ARF so should be back in the air sooner this time. I'm sure I'll be emailing you for some help again. Talk soon my friend!!

John

PS-Sorry about all the replies but I'm one of those people that just has to answer everyone, to me it's rude not too! I know, I'm nutty..
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 03:46:49 PM »
does the pattern you were flying call for outside loops from upright flight?  seems a little weird to me - as all the patterns I know, you enter loops from inverted flight.

Like Mark said - placement of you pattern is VERY important - ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS - fly stunts downwind.........
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 04:06:20 PM »
Ahw John that is TOUGH!  Looks like you had it flying well too.  RATZ! 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 07:36:33 AM »
does the pattern you were flying call for outside loops from upright flight?  seems a little weird to me - as all the patterns I know, you enter loops from inverted flight.

Like Mark said - placement of you pattern is VERY important - ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS - fly stunts downwind.........

Wynn,

I'm just learning so all I have to go by is this; http://www.control-line.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=35 I thought that I was supposed to enter from up top as the diagram shows, am I doing it wrong?

Ahw John that is TOUGH!  Looks like you had it flying well too.  RATZ! 

Yeah, it sure did suck and I did just start to get it settled down and flying good(for my standards anyway) but ya live and ya learn so my next one will be even better. Thanks Dennis!

I am still amazed at how quiet they are.  I am doing a mod to the RSM Electra to install the RSM plug and play set up. Can't wait, no over runs, no under runs, no castor to wipe off, no priming, flooding, blown plugs, no flipping the prop forever, no priming, no muffler holes in the cowl, no needle valve sticking out, no uniflo/overflow vents sticking out. Ahhh , "lektrik" way to go.  H^^

The ease of flying electrics and being able to get ARC/ARF's is what got me into this hobby/sport. I do not have very good building skills so had pretty much given up flying planes years ago, I did fly heli's for a while but the cost was too much so gave that up as well. A couple of months ago I ran across some youtube videos on electric control line, spoke to a couple of guys who pointed me towards Brodaks ARC/ARF line and I was hooked! I flew C/L when I was a kid, mostly the cox plastic fantastics but did finally get a Lil Jumpin Bean-loved that plane. I haven't flown them since 1980 so I'm pretty much starting from the bottom but I'm having a blast! Some of my RC buddies are starting to pay attention, I think one or two of them might give it a try. Gotta love "lektriks" and ARC/ARF's or guys like me wouldn't be able to fly, I'd just give up after spending weeks building a kit and wadding it up. I crash too much....  H^^

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 09:35:05 AM »
In the beginner pattern you can enter the outsides from the top flying at the ground first, or you can go inverted and fly them from inverted. I think they left this so that beginners would maybe feel more comfortable not having to fly inverted. However, In my HUMBLE opinion, Its better to fly them from inverted, especially if you plan on moving up to intermediate some time. Learning to fly inverted is important as it gets you more comfortable with recovering from unusual attitudes,, plus its the way you do it for intermediate and up.
Remember the wind is your friend,, it helps maintain line tension while your doing tricks,, the exception would be overheads and the wingover. The wingover is entered upwind, flown parallel with the wind, the overheads are entered upwind and flown,, well, overhead,, lol
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 10:32:41 AM »
Agreed!

Asking a beginner to enter an outside loop from the top is @#$%&*!

You don't even have to go fully inverted (although I saw that you can do that), just start the second loop of the horizontal eight and keep going!

Once you get the feel of it and you're comfy, then get daring if you want!

Ward-O
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 12:24:56 PM »
Well it would appear that Dufus(me) has been doing it all wrong then. I have been doing the wing overs starting down wind and flying into the wind, that's backwards isn't it? Also have been starting my outside loops from the top and heading into the wind at the beginning of the loop, wrong again correct? Darn. Though I'm just screwing around here you can see that I've obviously been doing both wing overs and outside loops incorrectly, wind is blowing from right side of the screen to left in the video;

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 01:18:38 PM »
HI John,

You will be facing the wind when you start the wingover, also when you do the overhead 8 (the entry and exit is just like a wingover).  For all other maneuvers you will have the wind at your back (maneuvers downwind).  This is for the Beginner/Modern patterns.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Alan Buck

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 01:19:46 PM »
Hi John  When I was learning the beginners pattern I started the outsides from the top it is better to start them from the inverted way. But starting from the top helps ready you for the outside squares and square eights in the full pattern. In beginners you only do two laps inverted between your insides and outsides.
ALAN E BUCK

Offline Rob Smith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 11:05:54 AM »
Sorry to see that John......but I've done the exact same "lawn dart" trick myself with similar results!! Mark told me to enter the outside loop from the inverted position. Great advice but I wasn't able to fly inverted yet : ).

Rob

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 11:25:36 PM »
The easiest way to get used to outside loops will probably be by doing a "Lazy 8" and when you are coming over the top on the back side, just keep going into the full outside loops.  It is an abbreviated manner similar to what can you do in OTS

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 09:34:56 AM »
Thank you for all the tips/advice, very much appreciated! I had someone point out to me that it appeared I was flying way to slow(6+ second lap times), I didn't even realize I was flying this slow but it seems I was and this could've also been a big factor in my crash. If you notice in the video I start to make the turn and then suddenly it just straightens out and plows into the ground. Maybe I got a little slack in the lines there and it went right in, not sure but either way I will definately be making some "adjustments" next time.

Thank you all for the support, I can't wait to get back in the air!!

John

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here