News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:19:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motor test stand - what equipment?  (Read 3020 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Motor test stand - what equipment?
« on: January 26, 2011, 11:39:58 AM »
Guys,
I finally got my lazy butt moving and decided to build a motor test stand so I could test different motors, setups, props, etc. It is basically a 2x4 with a firewall on the end and the ESC (ICE 50), Timer and Battery with AMP Meter loop in line. I was thinking that since weight is not a problem and obtaining data is the objective I might add either a Watt meter (which one ?) or a Eagletree datalogge. What do you think would give the most useful information?

Best,                DennisT
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:08:13 PM by stuntguy13 »

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Motor test stand - what equipment?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 01:40:12 PM »
Here's what I have used for similar projects:  http://labjack.com/  .  The data goes to a text file that you can put into Excel to fiddle with and plot.  Get the HV model.  The voltage input range on the plain one is a little unhandy.  You can calculate power on either side of the motor controller and motor input power from voltage and current.  You can calculate motor output power from RPM and reaction torque.  Anybody have a good transducer for measuring motor reaction torque?

Testing props on a static bench is pointless.  Stunt planes fly at legal highway speeds, though, so you can mount the motor on a stick attached to a car.  This sort of behavior actually attracts chicks, as Chris Cox can verify from our anemometer calibration run in a Miata.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 11:28:09 PM »
Hi Dennis,

The Watt meter is the real useful tool here. If you have are using the CC Ice esc, then it already has a good data logger built in, so you don't need the Eagle tree logger. The other thing is a tach to check revs. The ICE esc data logger can read all of these things, but it's just nice to have some "real-time" instruments as well. Just remember that the optical tachs will not work with electric lights around. You'll be wondering why you can't get more than 3000 rpm out the motor!
Keith R

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 12:40:58 AM »
We can get 3600 here.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 02:08:02 AM »
Hi Dennis T.,

I agree with Keith, the CC ice units give you needed data. But I am a big fan of the Eagle Tree unit too. It gives you ALMOST everything you need (it does not give you a date with a 21 year old movie star, or your own Lear Jet, etc. .... but it does give you some valuable E-Information ;-) and it can be part of your test setup when you test other ESCs. Does your setup use a scale and lever to measure thrust?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 10:20:57 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
For what it is worth, I had a thread on thrust static measurement here that was lost in the crash of the web site some years ago.

I use a digital scale and a lever setup the has equal arms and which I attach to the tail skid of my electric Ringmasters. The photos below show the actual setup in operation.

John

John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 01:00:41 PM »
I find that a very bright flashlight, properly placed, allows me touse the optical tach indoors, even with flourescent lights.
I am terribly curious about the test setups you guys create, and i need to build one myself!
Static thrust, however, is of no interest to me. Seriously!

take care,
   Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 01:13:40 PM »
Guys,
Interesting ideas, the one thing I like about the Watt meter is that you can see the output as the test is underway. I want to test for amp load and adjusting various setting to the ESC. Up till now I did these with the ship on the living room floor but its a pain (no, really a pain) to keep bending down to mess with this. With the test stand I can mount it in a Black & Decker Workmat and stand up, no mess and much easier on the back. For the rpm what I have done in the house is position a flash light to give the steady light and use the tac pointing toward it to get a good reading.

I might try and work on some type of trust measurement base on something like John's approach only it will be the test stand in some sort of track. I like to know static thrust since I like to reshape props and this is what gets you out of the corners and over the top.

Best,       DennisT

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 02:34:13 PM »
It gives you everything you need...

You can't always get what you want.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 10:26:52 PM »
You can't always get what you want.

Good one Howard!  LL~

Your right, I should not have left the word "everything" all alone. It could be easily misunderstood? .....  I edited my post as follows:

"It gives you ALMOST everything you need (it does not give you a night with a 21 year old movie star, or your own Lear Jet, or World Peace, etc. .... but it does give you some valuable E-Information).   ;)
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 11:10:02 PM »
If you try sometime, you just might find you get what you need.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 11:23:53 PM »
Thanks Howard for reminding me of the 60Hz in the USA that gives 3600 rpm. I also agree with Rudy that the Eagle Tree recorders are great. I just find that add-on for rpm that uses the motor wires is a bit jumpy. I'm going to make my own interface that use a hall-effect sensor. I did try the Eagle Tree optical sensor, but I just don't get a good reading all the time.

I've done loads of bench testing, and I usually end up with a DC light source like a flashlight etc. pointing through the prop. The hall-effect sensor will suit me better though when I'm playing with the governor software.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 12:20:51 AM »
Will you also use the Hall-effect sensor to measure current? 

Interestingly, the Eagle Tree people live about half a km from me.  I have had a little correspondence with them, but I haven't met them.
The Jive Combat Team

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 07:39:57 AM »
Will you also use the Hall-effect sensor to measure current? 

Interestingly, the Eagle Tree people live about half a km from me.  I have had a little correspondence with them, but I haven't met them.

The Eagle Tree people are the best.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 10:43:25 AM »
Guys,
I hope to post some pictures of the stand soon, I am looking into using draw slide rails to allow the stand to be hooked to a scale and give a relative static thrust reading. This would allow some ground testing of different props. I know that the proof is in the flying and I agree. The ground test would give a rough idea of the amp load and the thrust available for acceleration for one prop verse the other.

Best,         DennisT

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 06:36:13 PM »
Guys,
I hope to post some pictures of the stand soon, I am looking into using draw slide rails to allow the stand to be hooked to a scale and give a relative static thrust reading. This would allow some ground testing of different props. I know that the proof is in the flying and I agree. The ground test would give a rough idea of the amp load and the thrust available for acceleration for one prop verse the other.

Best,         DennisT

Dennis, This is exactly what I use my static thrust rig for. I test various props at various RPM. I use my AstroFlight Whattmeter to keep track of the AMPs being pulled. These data are not directly translatable to flight figures but they do give a good starting point.

John
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 08:05:30 AM »
Guys,
Has anyone used or heard of any type of loading device that can be used to apply variable resistance load to a motor to simulate a prop load? It would be interesting to be able to do some testing without having everything in the shop blown around.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 06:56:16 PM »
I've been wondering how to do that, too.  You could spin an aluminum disk and put a magnetic field across it, but the disk might get too hot.  If you use a generator, you could drive a resistor in a bucket of water and get rid of the energy that way.  What would be a good thing to use for a generator?  How would you couple it to the drive motor?  Do the RC guys have U joints that would work?  I would think you'd still measure motor output power from RPM and reaction torque, but maybe when you got the generator system calibrated you could use the generator output directly. 
The Jive Combat Team

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 10:37:53 AM »
Guys,
The initial test stand is done (photo attached). Will do some prop static tests today and see how the CC ICE data logger works. Next step is to add slider rails to do some relative thrust tests.

Best,              DennisT

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 10:39:51 AM »
How does it fly?

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 07:23:31 PM »
from what I can see you have no cooling for the motor. Not a good thing for longevity.

bob branch

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 07:31:08 PM »
Bob,

I'm sure that Dennis will reply, but from what I can see there is a large hole in the center of the mounting plate (board) which will allow air to move through to the motor.

I would agree that a few additional openings would help to insure cooling.

John
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 07:52:44 PM »
Guys,

The front mount plate has a 2 1/4" hole that is as large a diameter as I could use with the X aluminum motor mount. It is also possible to use a rear mount arrangement if needed. Cooling should not be a problem either way.

Best,              DennisT

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 09:03:05 PM »
For what it's worth, here is a pic of my test stand.  I use an electronics lab power supply.  I can set any battery voltage and read amps. 

An non-contact infrared temperature sensor is usefull on the test stand as well as at the flying circle.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2011, 09:08:24 AM »
Guys,

I have been running some tests to determine if the low pitch (5.5") large diameter (11x5.5 APCE P) @ higher rpm (10529) or the high pitch (5.9") shorter diameter (10" clipped 11x5.5 APCE P repitched) @ lower rpm (9002) has the lower amp draw. The idea is to have equivalent lap time setups.

What I found on the test bench was that @ 9002 rpm (rpm needed for lap time of 4.8 sec, 60' C to C) the 10x5.9" prop pulls 20.1 amps, the 11x5.5" @ 9002 rpm pulls 18.1 amps. Taking the 11x5.5 to the approximate equiv lap time flight rpm 10529 increases the amps to 29.9 amps. From what I see diameter and rpm add considerable more amp draw then pitch increase on a smaller diameter.

Has anyone done any similar comparisons?

Best,           DennisT

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 05:38:33 PM »
Nice piece of work!

According to the generic Fan Laws power required goes up as the 5th power of diameter however, you are mixing diameters, pitch and RPM to generate a given thrust.  If you wanted you could generate the same thrust and lap time using a 6x10" prop - but you might not like what happens after you do a square corner!

Larger diameter (21% more disc area) will draw a lot more static.  I think you need some flight data to see what is really happening.  Between the props you show, I think the higher RPM will still proably result in higher current draw but nothing like the increment you are seeing on the bench.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags: motor 

Advertise Here