News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:47:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motor temperature - how hot is too hot?  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Motor temperature - how hot is too hot?
« on: May 06, 2022, 07:58:51 AM »
Just finished a test flight of the S1 with the BadAss 2380  820k running on a 5S  1600mah  120C pack with a 10 x 7 at 9650 rpm fixed, about 16 amps. I toughed the motor housing after the flight, it was hot enough to notice it was hot but you could grab it without getting burned. It was still a lot less then an IC engine after a flight. The motor ran fine no sag or sign of anything wrong, just wondering how hot do other find their motor at the end of the flight? I know we don't push them hard like RC racing but how hot is too much?

Best,   DennisT

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Motor temperature - how hot is too hot?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 08:11:46 AM »
If you can touch the motor with ought getting burnt it's OK.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 09:44:31 AM »
If you can touch the motor with ought getting burnt it's OK.

Too uncomfortable to hold but not hot enough to burn is about 50 degrees C.  That's low for almost any motor.

I'm really pleased with the BadAss motor that I put into my current plane.  It's a converted slimer, and I had to really struggle to get airflow in there.  It killed the first motor I put in it (a Cobra); the BadAss of the same size runs around 20 degrees cooler.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 12:01:09 PM »
 Thanks for the input. I decided to open up the cooling holes in the front firewall mount, they were just a bit off to give direct airflow into the motor cooling slots, should be even better.

Best,     DennisT

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 02:07:28 PM »
Just finished a test flight of the S1 with the BadAss 2380  820k running on a 5S  1600mah  120C pack with a 10 x 7 at 9650 rpm fixed, about 16 amps. I toughed the motor housing after the flight, it was hot enough to notice it was hot but you could grab it without getting burned. It was still a lot less then an IC engine after a flight. The motor ran fine no sag or sign of anything wrong, just wondering how hot do other find their motor at the end of the flight? I know we don't push them hard like RC racing but how hot is too much?

Best,   DennisT
I have gotten Cobra's hot enough that I could barely hold them after a flight but my BadAss(s) have never gotten too hot to hold.  I run the 3515 710k on 2800 5s 25C 10-6 three blade at 9600.  30% headroom.  Why the 120C?  We only need about 20 and those extra "C"'s just add weight and $$$.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 05:27:12 PM »
Single-point IR thermometers are inexpensive and reliable.  If you have a clear "view" of the motor from the outside of the plane you can check its temperature right when you land.

Since burning up a motor (it got my attention by stopping when the plane was inverted, but thankfully at 45 degrees) I've been diligent about checking motor temperature.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 06:02:10 PM »
Ken,
The 120C is because that is the only rating that has the capacity and dimensions that fit in the nose of the S1 (on 78mm long).

Tim,
I have a IR temp meter and will bring it next time out.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 08:54:09 PM »
We just measured a motor temperature today while flying in 85 degree air.  After landing, it was 105 degrees F.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 09:15:34 PM »
We just measured a motor temperature today while flying in 85 degree air.  After landing, it was 105 degrees F.
In a couple of weeks the circle will be hotter than 105!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2022, 12:00:33 AM »
In a couple of weeks the circle will be hotter than 105!

Ken

Yeah, it will be!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2022, 09:29:54 AM »
To answer your actual question -- it depends.  Cheaper motors will be more susceptible to high temperatures, better motors will withstand them better.

The two top contenders are probably the windings getting hot enough that the insulation fails, and the outer bell getting hot and the glue holding the magnets on fails.  Both of these depend on the manufacturer, basically on what materials they used and, hence, what price vs. quality compromise they decided to make.

AFAIK, if  you land and the outer bell is lower than about 80C you're fine for even cheap motors, and ditto 120C for the windings.  But -- I dunno, and I'm always getting surprised by just how cheap of cheap crap gets unloaded on unsuspecting modelers.  If it's a name brand motor and they're making promises about temperatures, I'd believe them more -- but only more, not absolutely.
AMA 64232

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2022, 10:51:50 AM »
if  you land and the outer bell is lower than about 80C you're fine
It will still be cooler that our circles in August! LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2022, 07:59:12 PM »
I once asked Lucien at Innov8tive.  160°F for the Cobra was about top safe on the stator.  I found the Stator about 40ish°F cooler that the Rotor using an IR thermometer.  I have a profile where I could get a shot at each.  As Tim noted, 50°C or about 120° is touchable.  160 on the Stator was very uncomfortable to a swipe of the finger.
Fred

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2022, 07:35:55 AM »
Found problem - the back of the prop collet was just close enough to the head of the motor mount bolt to were once airborne and when I did a couple maneuvers it rubbed the head and both heated up and expanded enough to cause additional heating and a little weird noise. When cool just a bit it made no sound or rough feel so it was hard to find. I filed down the back of the collet a few thou and did ground test. All good, flew it today for longer then prior flight (over 2 min) and no sounds and motor was only warm to the touch.

Best,    DennisT

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2022, 08:53:38 AM »
Found problem - the back of the prop collet was just close enough to the head of the motor mount bolt to were once airborne and when I did a couple maneuvers it rubbed the head and both heated up and expanded enough to cause additional heating and a little weird noise. When cool just a bit it made no sound or rough feel so it was hard to find. I filed down the back of the collet a few thou and did ground test. All good, flew it today for longer then prior flight (over 2 min) and no sounds and motor was only warm to the touch.

Best,    DennisT

Wow! Who would of thought.  As always it is what it is. Thanks for sharing.  Points out another thing for us to keep and eye out for.   y1   #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here