News:

• April 25, 2024, 07:18:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motor stopped suddenly in flight  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Motor stopped suddenly in flight
« on: December 09, 2018, 05:54:15 AM »
Hello,
I was flying yesterday in the gym and the motor in one of my indoor planes suddenly stopped after about 45 seconds. The electric setup in this plane, that includes the KR timer with the regular switch, was working flawlessly for two years of my indoor flying.

The plane survived and I run routine checks but could not see, feel nor smell anything suspicious. I connected the battery again, heard the proper number of beeps, flipped the switch and run 45 seconds ground test with no problem.

I will check the timer's programming but the timer (and the plane) was not touched since Mar 30, 2018.

To sum it up: I put the well flying electric plane away for nine months and something went wrong yesterday with no apparent reason. The plane was stored in my basement and I even checked the motor for the presence of spider's web. There was none.

I have contacted Keith Renecle yesterday and he responded stating simply "no idea".

Any suggestions,

Regards,
M

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Motor stopped suddenly in flight
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 10:13:05 AM »
If you got a 45 second run out of it without a long rest or a charge, with the same battery, and with the same prop, then a low battery doesn't seem likely.  It could be that, still, though.

If it's not a low battery, then a loose connection that removes power from the timer long enough for it to reset would fit those symptoms.  How do the connections look?  Is there at least a bit of slack in all the wires?  Nothing pulled tight?  Does the 3-wire "RC" connector go firmly onto the ESC, with no hint of falling off?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 03:04:53 PM »
1000 reasons, you must inspect your system step by step. It can be dead battery (if PRM went down slowly), it can be overheating (usually brake does not work before landing in such case), could be malfunction of timer, but that is usually permanent error and if it worked after that, it is not probable, it can ESC on way to heaven if you heard problematic run before (loosing synchronization) and it will also make troubles afterwars, it could be connectors of timer, if you can simply restart it after landing like when you connect battery, it could be disconnected motor <-> timer wire (if it is KR timer) which will cut off power in case of stopped motor, but most usual in succh case (sometimes work, sometimes not and accidentally stops) is problem with battery connector -  that was also case on WCh with model of Samantha ... exactly like that.

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 03:14:55 PM »
Hello,
I have found the reason: it was the connector. This is the indoor foam plane powered by 2S battery that connects to the mini 12A ESC using JST SYP 2-Pin connector. Like you probably know, these connectors have tiny metal pins that slide into the, equally small and very delicate, square metal tubes that have even smaller leaf springs providing the actual connection. It was due to vibrations and intense use in winter 2017/2018, that one spring in one tube broke and was completely loose. Consequently, the connection was random and depended on the position of the loose spring. I am replacing all connectors in my two indoor planes for the EC2 pairs that are easier to handle and provide much better long term reliability.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions,

Happy Flying and Merry Christmas,
M

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 03:19:33 PM »
well, as I expected. However those JST connectors are hot already at 5A, it is really good to use something else.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 03:32:58 PM »
The little Deans connectors are good if you can get them where you are.  If you have a decent local hobby shop ask what people are using for that sized battery pack.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 04:58:33 PM »
Igor, Tim,
I will stay with EC2 pairs. The main reason: I have them.

I will make sure that they are properly secured to the Depron surface to avoid the vibration and G-forces caused banging and moving.

Thanks,
M

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 09:15:07 PM »
You just have to be lucky enough to be a senior residing in Toronto.  If your willing to get up early you can rent the gym for $17/hour.  Not a bad deal as long as you stay clear of the b-ball nets.  Your wing over could be a slam dunk.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 12:53:05 AM »
Who did you have to kill to get an indoor flying site?

Try to offer teaching kids make airplanes in local school with gym ... you will have new people in C/L and you will have access to gym  VD~

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here