News:

• May 04, 2024, 02:47:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motor starting rules in PA  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Motor starting rules in PA
« on: August 23, 2008, 01:51:01 PM »
Guys,

Had a great day with the Excitation finally doing full patterns 5min 20sec. A flying buddy raised an interesting question about motor starting under the rules. He asked if the pilot had to be by the airplane until the prop starts to spin up? My friend had a situation at a recent contest were he wanted to fly "Classic" with and OTS ship but was very close on fuel. He wanted to have someone start it while he was at the handle to save fuel, the CD told him he had to be at the ship when the engine started. I remember a while back that you didn't have to start your own engine (IC) but the you did have to be there while it was started (many Junior flyer's had dad start the engine). I looked in an old 1995 rule book and didn't see anything that addressed this.

Since we use timed start (to save power) until we get to the handle, is turning on the power switch considered "starting" the motor? If we have to have the prop spinning can we set it on low rpm then step-up? Or has the rules been changed?

Best,        Dennis

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Motor starting rules in PA
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 04:41:28 PM »
Hi Dennis,

The short answer is:  The CD was WRONG!

Longer Answer:

There is no CLPA rule that states the pilot must be involved in the starting of the engine/motor. Yes, many pilots do it so they can "fiddle" with their NV's, (usually to their detriment?  n~ ), but it is not a rule.

I am almost always the only ECL flyer at the field or at the contest, so I do push my own button (I'm used to flying alone with a stooge so I keep up the same routine at a contest ;-). Like you, and most ECL pilots, I have my JMP and Kas timers set to "Zero" power for 30 seconds after button push/start. This allows me plenty of time to wander out to the handle, get set up, take a breath, etc., before TO. :-)

BTW: I push my talking timer (thanks Alan :-) start button immediately after pushing my start button, and include this 30 sec. wait time in my total 6 min time period on my timer. (5 min. 30 sec. flight time).

I have flown at the Cal State Champs with several Nats, and world champions, and there were many pilots who stood in the center of the circle while someone else started their engines. And these guys REALLY know the rules, so I don't think it would have been allowed if it was breaking any AMA rule! ;-)

My guess is that your CD is remembering some very old rule, or more likely a rule from some other CL event.

RE: Your last question about the "when is the ECL motor actually started, and the spinning prop issue". The only place in the rules that this would apply is in the section that states: "..... the engine (motor) must be started within 3 min. of giving the judges the hand signal for starting....".
       Since I live in an area where CL people are extremely conservative and there is a great bias against any change, especially against ECL, (I have been protested twice about ECL issues, and denied entry in one major contest), I do expect someone to bring up this issue.
       They may say that the "start" is only when the prop starts rotating after our 30 sec delay. The good news is that it does not matter to us. This issue is moot. We have 3 min. to get started after giving the hand signal. We can give them the 30 seconds if they demand it. By the time 3 minutes after our hand signal has passed, we will already have done 50% of the pattern! :-) .... Many of these extreme conservative reactionaries will still be flipping their props when we are already 50% done on the other circle. ;-)

If you are still in doubt about this rule, you may want to email Keith for the expert answer on this. Not only is Keith a very nice guy, but he is a walking encyclopedia on the history of our rules, past and present. :-)

Regards,  H^^
AMA 1667  CD
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 05:44:32 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 11:06:17 PM »
Rudy,

Thanks for you in put I went to the AMA web site and checked the current CLPA rules and they are the same as the 1995 rules were on starting indicating as you said 5 mins from being called to the circle to give the signal to start and 3 min to get airborn.
I also checked the "General Section" and on pg 12, item 5, Preparation for Flight - it states that "engines of CL and RC may be started by an assistant".

I think this address the issue clearly (maybe in the "Classic" 1967 rules there may have been something that would apply to "Classic" events I did not check this). If we go the extra step of turning on the power to our motor then walk to the center and no one else does anything to the model except hold it and the motor then spins up then the pilot did "start" the motor, it was at idle for 30 sec then came to full power with no external effort. This should be all we need.

Best,        Dennis

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 12:58:26 AM »
Hi Dennis,

I'm glad I could help.  H^^

R%%%%  I admit to being a rules "wonk". ...... (nerd is more like it. ;-). Like most active CD's, I feel it is part of my responsibility to be current on all the rules that pertain to our event. The reason I mention this is that I am surprised that some CL CDs, and/or oldtimers still put out misinformation like your friend experienced. I have heard CL "experts" even say that electric starters are not legal in any CL events. My guess is that they heard about it in CL Combat, and without reading the CLPA rules they just blurt out the wrong information. .... Sadly, the misinformation on ECL stuff is the norm, not the exception. I have seen some CDs in our SW area make serious errors. Many do not even know about the current BOM rule, and have not read the rules in the past several years. I find this to be strange, and sad.   R%%%%

Regards
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 02:35:19 AM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 07:01:14 PM »
Guys,

I put this question out on several boards because I think we ECL flyer's need something to point to and got a response on Stuka Stunt from Keith Trostle, I intend to keep a hard copy in my flight box to have in case there are any questions at future events. Keith's comments as follows:

#4. "RE: Engine start rule for Classic ?"
In response to Reply # 0

There are several questions here.

Regarding the Classic Stunt event, the PAMPA rules for Classic Stunt state that the current AMA maneuver descriptions and procedures will be employed. So there is no difference between procedures followed for Classic Stunt and the AMA CLPA rules.

There is nothing in the current AMA CLPA rules that require the pilot to be the person who starts the engine or that the pilot need to be at any specific location, like in the immediate proximity of the model, when the motor/engine is being started. Indeed, the AMA Genearl Information section specifically states "Engines of CL and RC models may be started and regulated by an assistant." There is nothing in the Control Line General rules or the CLPA rules that negates this provision in the General Information section.

At one time, there were words in the CLPA rules about the signal for when the "contestant starts flipping the propeller..." But it was in that same rulebook (1972) that to receive the then 5-point starting bonus, the take-off was to be "within one minute from the time the contestant or mechanic begins to flip the propeller." So, even in that period, a "helper" could start the engine and there was not requirement for the pilot to be with the model when it was being started. Also, at one time, electric starters were not allowed in our CLPA event. Just for the record and to make sure what has been submitted here is not misunderstood, electric starters are no longer prohibited.

There is no 1 minute starting bonus in the current CLPA rules so there is no 1 minute starting bonus in the Classic Stunt event.

FAI F2B CL Aerobatics rules are somewhat different, but those rules are not part of the question or answer here.

Keith

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 11:47:32 AM »
I had actually checked the rules over and came to the same conclusion---you don't have to start the engine as a pilot, just signal the judges to start the time.

My interest was basically whether I had to actually push my JMP-2 start button or not. The main reason is that if I didn't, I would get an extra time slot and throttle position to play with. Right now I push the button and the motor blips but goes back to 0 rpm. Then 20 seconds later it comes back to life (usually the judges start laughing--unfortunately that often continues during the flight, one of the curses of electric--you can hear the judges laughing and commenting! LL~).

I haven't actually implemented having launcher pushing the button. I guess because it makes flying with a stooge problematic, and I already have implemented my dual throttle scenario by using the new firmware capabilities of the Castle Creations Phoenix RPM mode. Anything less than 50% runs at 7500 rpm (good for takeoff and first two laps), and then anything above 50% runs at "normal" rpm ~7900 rpm. I set my Jmp-2 first throttle at ~48% and first flight time=20s, second throttle at 100%, and the JMP-2 crosses the 50% threshold on the 4th lap, one lap before the wingover. Works nice!

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 03:47:33 PM »
Dennis:
Rudy is absolutely correct, your friend go some very bad direction on starting. I remember helping someone with a short tank fly - we started his bird for him - on the feet, and got him airobrne in less than 5 seconds...

This weekend at FCM Archie & I used similar routines with our electrics.  Signaled judges, I even announced "Ready to start" then bent over and flipped the prop (signal to judge to start the watch) and started walking down the lines.  Meanwhile my "pusher" (either Arch or Archie) nonchalantly pressed the timer start button (looks like a beacon on top of the Swinger)  Motor started with me about 30' up the lines.  I finished my walk, picked up the handle set up the thong and assumed VERY dramatic pre-take-off stance; by which time motor was nearly spooled up.  Upon reaching peak (or near peak) speed, helper would release.

After flying a few flights I realized I could adjust my routine.  Since I could depend on usable power right up to the end I started doing extra laps: 7 laps before wingover, 8 laps inverted and an extra lap to prepare before clover...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline bill marvel

• Commander
  • Lafayette Esquadrille, St. Louis
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 10:47:21 AM »

This weekend at FCM Archie & I used similar routines with our electrics.  Signaled judges, I even announced "Ready to start" then bent over and flipped the prop (signal to judge to start the watch) and started walking down the lines. 

That is certainly a safe way to do it, Dennis.   :)  There is nothing wrong with your procedure.

But, for the record (and everybody reading this), your FCM Judges (Randi and myself) started the clock the moment you signaled and simultaneously announced you were ready to start.  As Keith said most clearly, your eight minute flight time (including your three minute engine start and take off time) begins with the pilot's hand signal to the judges for both gas and electric.  There is no difference.

If you have not attended FCM, it is a really great contest.  This past weekend had some of the very best flying I have ever seen, top to bottom.  It was a real joy to work and to watch such high quality flying across the board.

If you have not had the pleasure of the company of the Adamisin Clan, you have missed something.  To listen to Big Art Adamisin's running commentary on a flight is like Graduate School in Stunt.

regards,
bill marvel

Bill Marvel, AMA 793835
Lafayette Esquadrille, St. Louis

Welcome to Stunt Hangar

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 04:08:11 PM »
Hi Bill
YES we had a great time at FCM, and thanks again to you and Randi (an many others) for all your hard work.  H^^  CLP** 010!

Regarding my starting procedure:  I think I was showing my "fossil" side.  I'm pretty sure the rule USED to read, Signal, then the watch started when you started flipping the prop.  I think this was also back in the era where "...inertial starting devices are not allowed" and other such things. 

You & Randi may have also picked up on this:  Somewhere along the way I learned that judges are also owed the courtesy of getting set up: handing off the score sheets for the flight just finished, pulling up the new ones, maybe stretching a kink out of their necks....  So I also began a mini-ritual of stepping away from my airplane and asking the judges if they are ready, BEFORE announcing my intention to start.  That may be even more important with electrics because the starting procedure is soooooo quick!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 06:20:08 PM »
both times I few in the SIG contest (I was around 10 years old) they made the flier participate in the starting process.  either flipping the prop or holding the airplane.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Advertise Here
Tags: start 

Advertise Here