News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:49:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motor start ramp setting.  (Read 1029 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Motor start ramp setting.
« on: December 16, 2021, 06:55:03 AM »
Guys,
What motor start power and initial spool-up rate have you used? I have use medium for both, but it seems a little slow as it takes 1/2 a lap to get to full flight speed. I am trying to be easy on the amp draw but for winder conditions seems a faster spin up would be beneficial. Concern was going too far and getting surging, what have you found to be a good setting?

Best,    DennisT 

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
Re: Motor start ramp setting.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 08:19:02 PM »
I use soft start and weight until the motor reaches full flying rpm (by sound) then signal for release.
works for me
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 10:36:24 PM »
I use a slow start with release as soon as the prop starts turning. It will sit there spooling up for a couple of seconds then roll along the ground at low power for another couple of seconds but after that it's full power and I'm off. It does take a half lap before it's up to full air speed but that's just momentum and prop stall, the motor is at 100% before it leaves the ground.

Someone told me that if you ramp it up to 100% as fast as it will go, the motor mount will snap off.

Motorman 8)
Ditto's.  I have thrown a prop (collet) by going directly to full speed.  You have to be careful with the slow takeoff.  They really look nice and are more realistic, but I did get docked once for not making it off in 1/4 lap.  I am more careful now.  It is a bit harder to keep the constant rate of climb, but worth it.

ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 11:23:27 PM »
With the KR timer the motor goes full speed for a few seconds till the KR governor kicks in and lowers the RPMS to the set level.  I have the helper hold the aircraft until the RPMs are set.  The takeoff is then normal.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 12:22:47 PM »
I should have mentioned I fly off of grass so the rolling resistance keeps me from getting too far before I've got take off power.
My problem, small that it may appears to be the brake setting.  For some reason, either my timer (Fiorotti) or my ESC (Spin 44) wants to have a random brake setting when I arm it.  I will get a couple of revolutions, a bump or a grunt.  All three seem to indicate that I am armed and have 40 seconds to unwrap the lines I forgot and get the lanyard untangled and test the controls.  If it was a grunt or a bump, I get another grunt before it opens up and away I go.  Doesn't seem affect anything but it sure keeps me guessing!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here